Spotify

beatlebum

I did a search here and was amazed to find only one reference to Spotify. I think it could be the biggest thing to hit music since iTunes.

Anyone using this?

Correct. You search an artist and up pops a list of every song they've ever recorded (even the obscure compilation album tracks), every album, a biog, similar artists, etc. You can then build, save and share playlists. Pretty cool.

Correct. You search an artist and up pops a list of every song they've ever recorded (even the obscure compilation album tracks), every album, a biog, similar artists, etc. You can then build, save and share playlists. Pretty cool.

I'm grateful to Spotify for exposing my music but would it kill them to pay out a little more than $0.0000593 a stream?

I'm grateful to Spotify for exposing my music but would it kill them to pay out a little more than $0.0000593 a stream?

Apparently this is much better than the kind of royalties you get paid for radio.

BBC Radio 1 value their airplay rates at £17.68 per minute (and Radio 2 a bit higher), therefore the BBC coughs up roughly £70 for playing a 4-minute song on Radio 1. For a prime-time audience of around 8m listeners, this works out at roughly £9 per 1m listens, though obviously not all of this ends up with the artist.

It was reported that Lady Gaga earned "just $167" for 1m plays of a song on Spotify, which equates to a little over £100.

That £100 doesn't take into account an estimated £1000 fee paid to her that wasn't included in the quoted earnings, and the fact that Spotify was used as part of the marketing strategy that ultimately helped her sell 20m downloads of the song.

£9 for 1m listeners on prime-time radio, or £100 for 1m listens on Spotify?

Back