Some open tuning themes/tunes acoustic guitar

w1av

Here is a collection of themes I recorded using different open tunings on 2 separate guitars. Rhythm guitar is steel string Fender acoustic. The lead guitar is old Yamaha classical nylon string. The music is more thematic sounding in structure as opposed to a regular structured song. I wrote these, played and recorded myself. Used Mixcraft 9 pro studio. There are some other instruments on here as well. But mainly guitar.
Modal open tunings | Bob Ruzzo
f.JPG

Yaeh, I was recording some themes. I did Magnum PI.

Very nice work. I felt relaxed. E7 sus 4, has a very strong bass , that bass has an immediate attack with a strong follow through. G add 4 sounds full and big. Cool man.

Attachments

• magnumPI.mp3
    829.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yaeh, I was recording some themes. I did Magnum PI.

Very nice work. I felt relaxed. E7 sus 4, has a very strong bass , that bass has an immediate attack with a strong follow through. G add 4 sounds full and big. Cool man.

Wow I forgot what the theme to that show sounded like!!!! I am too lazy these days to compose regular, arranged songs!!!!! I have thought about doing the theme to "Green acres" but I am not much of a country player although I like the tune.
What do you use to record? Guitar, amp?

What do you use to record? Guitar, amp?

I should be asking you! Very little effort went into that. Not very accurate. It is done on a UA Apollo with presets. Plexi 'Warm 1'. Bass is Ampeg SVT ' just bass2' . Recorded flat. Mix has a 2:1 compression, for a quick makeshift mastering. My guitar is a Stratocaster. Bass is a Jazz Bass. USA.

How was your bass sound accomplished? I believe I saw somewhere you used the P170? Also are there any tips you could offer recording nylon string vs. steel?

Green Acres? Awesome, go for it. I was going to try 'Drive' by Dave Morgan, opening theme from the show Hardcastle and McCorrmick. The same guy that fronted ELO Part II after Jeff Lynne split. But instead I found youtube leading me to MagnumPI.

Dukes of Hazard would be cool too...Just a good ole' boys, a never meanin no harm..Beak it down to fingerstyle.

Last edited:
A TOUGH one!

I should be asking you! Very little effort went into that. Not very accurate. It is done on a UA Apollo with presets. Plexi 'Warm 1'. Bass is Ampeg SVT ' just bass2' . Recorded flat. Mix has a 2:1 compression, for a quick makeshift mastering. My guitar is a Stratocaster. Bass is a Jazz Bass. USA.

How was your bass sound accomplished? I believe I saw somewhere you used the P170? Also are there any tips you could offer recording nylon string vs. steel?

Green Acres? Awesome, go for it. I was going to try 'Drive' by Dave Morgan, opening theme from the show Hardcastle and McCorrmick. The same guy that fronted ELO Part II after Jeff Lynne split. But instead I found youtube leading me to MagnumPI.

Dukes of Hazard would be cool too...Just a good ole' boys, a never meanin no harm..Beak it down to fingerstyle.

Hahahaha Sounds good. We have a Strat somewhere around here but I never use it. I have found the SOUND of nylon strings just sounds and records better than steel for some reason. The way I do it is I always use 2 mics.....of the same kind. Condenser mics....I have a set of AKG P120's and P170's....they are cheep mics but they work ok. I place one mic about 1 foot away from 12th fret and the other about a foot away from right side of sound hole and space the 2 mics aprt the same distance as the distance they are from guitar.....you have to experiment with multiple mic settings. I have tried many different ways. And I usually use fingers to play not a pick. Although I have used a pick at times. I usually use a high pass filter on the 2 tracks. VERY sparingly use any effects. The only compression I use is very subtle in the mastering portion of mix.
The HARDEST them song I have ever done, and I mean DIFFICULT is the first season theme to "ALICE"......that old late 70's show starring Linda Lavin and Vic Tayback.....It's got hard jazz chords that change with every other word. It's only 1 minute long but I practiced it for a long time. Doubt if I can play it nowadays!

Back