Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SEO, Drive-by posting in the HomeRecording forums, and you.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    That was my thought.

Bainmack, you don't post a lot, but you do participate in conversations and ask real questions. A typical drive-by post on this forum is 5 random "yep I agree" posts on conversations that petered out weeks ago, then a link to a Youtube video.

It's possible these folks don't have a real plan and just hope that a couple more listens might be the thing that finally makes them or that someone significant will hear their music.

How many of us still vaguely harbor the fantasy that someone important and influential will "discover us" on accident one day and give us a bajillion dollar contract?
    i agree with you. I'm just playing devil's advocate a little bit I was doing a drive by on this forum topic, haha!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bainmack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    But you came back! Drive by ruined!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    But you came back! Drive by ruined!
    They always return to the scene of the crime

Thanks

Thanks
    This makes me feel like I shouldn't post any of my mixes for a while. Would you guys say that? I'm looking to build my portfolio and connect with artists and now I just dunno if this is the right place to do that, I'm thinking not.

Thanks
    nothing wrong with posting. feel free to post. however, if you want responses and people to listen, then it's best practice to do the same to other posts.

Im not active on this forum, but other forums I try to watch/listen/comment on 3 different posts before I submit any of my work. 3:1 ratio. That's just my personal preference. On reddit, I recall reading <10% of your posts should be self-promotion. That's what, a 10:1 ratio?

to each to their own.

---------- Update ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gavinjon View Post
    This makes me feel like I shouldn't post any of my mixes for a while. Would you guys say that? I'm looking to build my portfolio and connect with artists and now I just dunno if this is the right place to do that, I'm thinking not.
    nothing wrong with posting. feel free to post. however, if you want responses and people to listen, then it's best practice to do the same to other posts.

Im not active on this forum, but other forums I try to watch/listen/comment on 3 different posts before I submit any of my work. 3:1 ratio. That's just my personal preference. On reddit, I recall reading <10% of your posts should be self-promotion. That's what, a 10:1 ratio?

to each to their own.

Thanks
    I don't have any beef with folks posting their work. I enjoy hearing what other people are doing. It would be nice to get a bit more than just a Youtube post, I think. Maybe something along the line of "My buddies and I are doing this in our garage using Protools first" (it is "home" recording after all).

I remember when Jimmy Quango started posting some of his initial home videos. He's an amazing guitarist, and now he seems to have found his groove with his "Gaugolon Orchestra". His first postings were from (I believe) his kitchen. His music would have never crossed my radar, had he not come here asking for comments about his recordings.

Some people are technically inclined, some people are artistically inclined, some are a bit of both. We need them all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinjon View Post
    We are a community rather than a service. You can post up your music but if you're not participating in the community, it will most likely go ignored. If you're looking to just spread your music around the internet then don't bother.

Posting to this site doesn't build a portfolio, but hanging out with other musicians who are recording at home is a great way to improve your craft.

Let's see if you come back to respond.

Thanks
    Spam is for social media. Forums are for learning and networking. Some people just get that confused.

Some people are poorly educated and/or don't understand English, I'm sure that factors in as well.

That is why forums have to be regulated to some degree in order to be successful.

On the flip side, if everyone was a genius marketer, then this industry would be extremely competitive.

Does it help SEO? No, especially if you're spamming. YouTube helps most with SEO, getting actual branded back-links like SLIME GREEN BEATS works in some instances.

I worked in the internet marketing industry for many years, I hate it, but I have a great grasp of knowledge. There's value in these forums, but it's a much better idea to again grow, learn, and network on them. It's better to focus on quality than spam, but again not everybody is perfect.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slimegreenbeats View Post
    Does it help SEO? No, especially if you're spamming. YouTube helps most with SEO, getting actual branded back-links like SLIME GREEN BEATS works in some instances.
    I see what you did there!

Actually, linking your project in your forum signature is really good for your SEO if you post a lot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

Thread Information