semi marketing

Even

this is more along the thread we had a month or two back... about paying for the gear or getting as return. Word got out at work that I have a recording setup. and good news a few guys there have a band. The front man cam e over and soliceted my time and efforts.
But seriously I have a moral question here. They are good mind you, but sound..well... they robbed alice in chains. How do I (if at all) let them know they boarder of plagery? I mean I can use the cash if all they want is a recording. But should I suggest aid or guide?

If you feel you are able to "aid or guide", then I suggest you feel them out to see if they even want help. If not, assist them with your engineering abilities. Besides, lawyers and Alice In Chains need to make a living too ya know.

I say record them. What the hell do you care who they sound like if they're willing to pay you? They aren't breaking the law are they? If not, I wouldn't give a damn. Let the market dictate their success. They'll probably learn that they need to tinker with their sound a little before anyone will take them serious...by that time you might be able to record them again!

HEY, record them if the moneys worth it. Leave editing and opinions to manager or producer. let them play. let them hear the play back. Let them sink or swim. Remember a band ready to record(or thinking that they should record) is dead-set on a sound or style they want.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Even:
I have a moral question here. They are good mind you, but sound..well... they robbed alice in chains. How do I (if at all) let them know they boarder of plagery? I mean I can use the cash if all they want is a recording. But should I suggest aid or guide?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might mention it casually, but your job is to record them. If they're asking for a producer, that's another story, but take the money and let them do their thing otherwise.

dave @ kathode ray
www.indiebiz.com

Email biz101@kathoderaymusic.com for a free music promotion course.

Back