Selling your songs?

Austin Meier

I know that a lot of country singers and even pop singers have their songs written for them. I have written alot of songs that would suit this kind of thing and I was wondering how you go about getting the artists to use your songs. For example say I wrote a song for Lee Ann Womack, I know the chances are slim, but how do you get the song to her and have her possibly record it? I want to try this and see how it goes so any help would be great.

Thanks
Austin

You contact her music publisher - producer - or mangager/publicist. If your specifically asking about her you can pm me with your e-mail and I will give you her publishers info

Thanks alot man....a few more questions if you can help.

1. What is the proper format to send, like a cd and the words and music on paper? would they take a recording that I made or should it be truly professional?

2. how much do you usually make off something like this? I assume that they buy the music from you at first for a small amount and then pay you royalties based on sales?

Any help you can give me would be great!

thanks
Austin

Austin Meier said:
1. What is the proper format to send, like a cd and the words and music on paper? would they take a recording that I made or should it be truly professional?

You will want to send a CD preferably with the words. Sheet music would be a plus but don't think its a must have. As far as the recording I would get it the best you can without killing your pocketbook. The bottom line is if they like the song they will like the song. Obvivously don't send shitty recordings but decent.

Austin Meier said:
2. how much do you usually make off something like this? I assume that they buy the music from you at first for a small amount and then pay you royalties based on sales?

Depends. Every case is different. They may wanna buy out the rights to the song for a set price. They may wanna do just royalties. They may split it. Who knows. Send it out and see what comes back and negotiate from their. I will say at the very least you would want credit for the work, BUT establishing a good relationship with them as a solid songwriter will be the ultimate goal for you. Thats what I would concentrate on. Don't try to become rich off a single song my man. Remember, people like leann have some of the best songwriters in the world submitting songs to her producers, so Joe nobody might not have a whole lot of bargaining power. With that said, send the material make sure its solid and see if you get an offer.

Back