Rate the mixing/mastering on my one man Post-Hardcore Band's EP please?

ChrisMorrison93

Hey guys, I put out my EP last week that I wrote/performed/recorded/mixed/mastered all by myself if you get a chance can you check it out and let me know how I did?
https://fryscreamforicecream.bandcamp.com/album/fsfic-ep here is the bandcamp link. I think the quality is a bit weird when I uploaded it so thats the jist of it.

Some info on it.

I mastered the EP leaving about -1.5db headroom on average with each song. I don't like the super loud/super compressed sound of modern music, let alone hardcore music. So I tried to find a good balance between a 90s sounding album and a modern album. I still used a fair amount of compression, but not as much as most albums now-a-days. I kept a fair amount of dynamics. I wish I could have kept more dynamics but due to having to do the drums digital with samples, I couldn't get good dynamics. Plus all the guitars were recorded DI so it was far more digital than I wanted..but I think I did decent with what I had to work with.

I mixed/mastered it with all freeware plug ins. Its a super budget EP.

I didn't mix with a reference album. Since as you will hear the music is fairly a weird version of Post-Hardcore, so I didn't know what sound to go for, so I just mixed it with the intent of having things fairly clear but not toooo clear. I tried to dirty it up a ton to go just off vibe.

The EP isn't supposed to flow. The explanation is in the link!

Lastly I know tracks 2 and 5 have errors. Track 2 I recorded with a broken microphone. It shorted as I was recording, I could have re-done it but I love the emotion of the take so I went performance vs. quality. Lastly Track 5 is a mess.. but It has a lot of personal meaning and was the first full song I've done myself in this genre so I didn't have the heart to change it.

I know this is a long explanation but if you check it out and give feedback I'd appreciate it a ton. I put my heart and soul into this. I know its not perfect but I tried my best.

Thanks guys!

---------- Update ----------

For anyone who cares about gear

Recording Gear:
Instruments Cheap 100 dollar Fender Squier with pretty old strings.. all I had at the time
Silvertone Bass (I forget the model)

For Amps... everything is digital..cause I can't afford amps
Guitar effects are analog though... minus distortion. Pedals Used: Behringer Sm20
DOD FX35 Chorus
Behringer Vintage Delay
Boss Eh-2 Enhancer

Drums: Digital/programmed

Vocal stuff
Microphone: AT2020 (XLR Version)
Behringer 502 Mixer
Behringer U-Control UCA222
Pop Filter

Doesn't sound bad. The mix sounds pretty good. But it's all about what sound YOU were going for.
Reminds me of ICP in a strange way!
The hum on trk 5 needs to go.
What are you using for drums?

Doesn't sound bad. The mix sounds pretty good. But it's all about what sound YOU were going for.
Reminds me of ICP in a strange way!
The hum on trk 5 needs to go.
What are you using for drums?

Thank you for responding and listening man! I'm glad you enjoy it. Thanks for the comments on the mix..its nice to get feedback. I honestly didn't know what I aimed for other than I wanted it to be a little more 90s than 2014 so to say. I also didn't use a reference album so I went by feel and instinct.

not sure how to take the ICP comment not a fan haha but I can see the slight resemblance since my screaming has a sort of rap pattern (I used to be a rapper actually)

lol track 5 I did that hum on purpose..idk why. .but yeah its a demo I re-mastered so I was stuck with it

and lastly. For drums I used some Andy Sheap samples I found on some fourm..they work better for metalcore/death metal but they did the trick here

Back