Radio

coolj

I am thinking about sending a single to the local radio station. What do I need to do to get it in their hands and airplay? Do I need a package, drop it in their hands or what? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.'

The main thing you need is to send your song to someone who may actually listen to your song for consideration because the song or you where recommended to him/her by someone they consider worthy to recommend music anywhere in the music business. Otherwise, it will most likely will be dumped right into the trash without ever even opening the package.

Of course there's exeptions to everything. We'll all hoping to slip through the cracks.

There's two things you should do if you want a serious shot at getting airplay...
#1: Join ASCAP or BMI
No radio station in the country (with a decent share of it's local market) will touch your stuff if it ain't registered through one of the musicians' unions.

Which leads me to....

#2: You have to get the song or CD to an independent promoter. The promoter is the guy who gives the radio stations 50 front-row tickets for the Aerosmith concert, which the station gives away in thier contests, in order to get some new band's CD played on that station.
Get it? It's a trade off. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. It's very rare (almost non-existant) for a non-union, non-promoted recording to ever get past the trash bin of any major radio station.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but this is reality.
You might want to try going to a college radio station first. The chances of getting airplay there are MUCH better, and if it's well-liked you might have a better shot at getting noticed by the "right people".
There's lots of bands that got thier start by appealing to the college crowd. It's worth a shot.
Otherwise, join one of the unions and seek out a reputable promoter who is willing to work hard to get you airplay. You have to be willing to accept a few setbacks, but keep plugging away. If you want it bad enough, and you have the talent, success will come.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coolj:
I am thinking about sending a single to the local radio station. What do I need to do to get it in their hands and airplay? Do I need a package, drop it in their hands or what? Any help would be appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your band has a popular live show or is selling a lot of records locally, you shouldn't have a problem getting something played.

A thing to remember about airplay is that it won't help you on its own. You need to be playing live and also have distribution in the area to make it work for you.

dave @ kathode ray
www.indiebiz.com

Email biz101@kathoderaymusic.com for a free music promotion course.

Back