A question about money

Flick

Now before I ask my question, I know there is no "set" valeu, and I know there are a lot of factors that need to be looked at closely. But, from talking, I was asked a question, and i didn't really know the answer to it...or even have a vague idea...

If one goes to college for sound engineering, learns the art well, and progresses as an engineer, what would be a good range of his likely income. Throwing all factors aside, just a ball park rough figure. Is it enough to support a family on (supposing that business is flowing well).

I guess the big question is, can you be a sound engineer, and even if you don't mix any big shot's music, still be able to support a family and not worry about welfare? Is there a better chance if you own your own commercial studio.

This issue has been brought up quite a few times by my family, and granted there is nothing and will never be anything set in stone, but what are the likelihoods of supporting a fmily on an engineers/studio owners salary?

Probably for the few while (years, even!) you probably won't make a whole lot....... if you're really successful, you can make a pile -- that's a big IF...........

It think the bottom line is if you want to be a recording engineer, don't get into it for the money, do it because it's what you love to to......

I dont think he wants to get into it for the money...it sounds like he loves it and wants to do it, but also doesnt want his family to starve.......

Exactly!

Yeah, money is a bonus! but when i have a family down the road, i have a responsibilty to them to support them, and if music isn't a way i can, then i probably just do this as a hobby. however, if an income is likely, then i'm going for it! thanks so much for your help guys!

The keyword is MANAGE & DEVELOP. I have a friend, working as sound engineer, without any high formal education. Hanging around for months in studio, make friends, try to learn, now, his salary 4 times the studio owner. He develop it. 1st, he did it as hobby, then get a little more attention without leaving his day job, then get serious while he thinks it posible. Money doesn't always come from your main job. Manage, step by step, spread your wings, develop your career, wider you spread, alot you can get...

In my locale, I was making just under the avg. as an audio/video mastering engineer. $35,000 or so give or take. but it took me 10 years to get to that point. after I got laid off, I couldn't find anything even close to that. the 3 top engineers I worked with all got laid off too and are still scrounging for work. Luckily, i had other skills, so now I make more than that and just do audio/video stuff on the side. two of my friends who went to the L.A. Recording Workshop both work outside of the industry because interns don't get paid jack and the student loans are calling. Best of luck.

If you work freelance and get paid hourly then expect around $10-30 an hour.

As a staff engineer at a production house around $25k - 50k a year salary.

Those guys earning the top dollars of that range usually have around 10-20yrs experience so as you can see it is not a very lucrative career as an employee. The only guys who make serious cash are the ones who own the companies and the sales guys. But that pretty much applies to all careers

Tex has a point, but the problem is: it is definetely not easy to get a job at a production house: you need lots of experience and knowledge and there are many, many competitors once such a job gets available.

And actually, it is the same story with the free lance stuff: Nobody will come to you and use their recording budget on you when you are a freshman: you have to prove your worth your money and you can offer more and especially a better job than the other free lance engineers that live in your area.

So the words are experience, knowledge and especially patience. Don't become an engineer thinking you can have big earning jobs the first year of your career. You really have to accept that the first years you begin at the bottom of the ladder and you have to work damn hard for little money just to get one step further.

Or like Bruce said: don't get in the job for the money.

I myself am new at recording and have no formal education but I spend my time reading as much as I can off the internet. I feel that at my skill level and equipment level I cannot raise a family. . .fortunately I don't need to right now. I am unemployed and live with my parents currently (I'm 23) and I spend all of my time developing my business. If I was recording fulltime right now I'd be making $500 a week which isn't bad and is more than most of my friends in the computer industry but getting that much business is difficult at the moment.

To compensate I plan on building a "micro-label" and work with local bands doing booking and recording and soforth. Indie bands don't make much but if I got a 10% commission as a booking fee that can add up. . .and booking 10 bands isn't much harder than booking 1. . .it's mostly a matter of building a list of venues that will let them play and then actually getting the money. When that is developed I feel that I should be doing fairly well for myself.

This is definatly an industry where your reputation counts more than your education.

yeah, my option if not doing this is either journalism or business...such as finding a good job, and working my way up...so, the options aren't glamorous, but oh well...

i hear you guys...i am going to diversify a little, such

*DJing
*producing
*Owning a commercial studio

i have experience in the first 2, and want to gain knowledge in 3.
i have some connections in the Christian music industry, so in the industry i choose to focus in, I am not an unknown...but in Christian music, its not a glamorous lifestyle (nor do i really want it to be) so extra time has to be put in to make a living...but it looks good...i just enjoy doing music, and pray i can do it for a living...

thabnks for all the opinions!! they have helped immensely

zek,

nice idea, I also thought about the idea of setting up a small label for local bands, or for young bands who experiment a lot in their sound and aren't offered many commercial attention because of their lack of slickness.

Keep us posted about it!

:) I think that some anomalies have crept into this thread.......

Flick........ you wonder if you could make enough $$ as a recording engineer to support a family?

Well, to put it simply, there are 2 kinds of recording engineers.
First, there are ones with regular jobs. They can work in the film and post industries, or for commercial studios as staff engineers. normally these can earn(depending on the establishment and location) an average income at best.
Second are the few who ear the big bucks, and they are really few, I'd estimate well below 1%. What sets these aside from the rest is normally ... talent, good ears, and above average 'people skills'.
So, if you want to achieve an above average financial position in life, your chances of achieving that through becoming a recording engineer are minimal.

But the fun starts when you're going to 'diversify'??? into DJ'ing, producing and owning a commercial studio???
Ehhhhh you first need to earn buckets of money BEFORE you can own a commercial studio? and earnng money from producing??? I always thought you needed a bit of a rep before you could earn money from production??

Good luck!!

Back