Production music?

allegro1650

Not many people know what production music is, but they've heard it thousands of times... a perfect example is the song "Heavy Action" by the British composer Johnny Pearson. It's famous in the US as the background music for Monday Night Football.

edit: Also, John Tesh made this song up for the basketball shows on NBC (this is the full studio version).

I'm interested in this area, so I'd like to hear from those with experience. How can I get in?

Not many people know what production music is, but they've heard it thousands of times... a perfect example is the song "Heavy Action" by the British composer Johnny Pearson. It's famous in the US as the background music for Monday Night Football.

edit: Also, John Tesh made this song up for the basketball shows on NBC (this is the full studio version).

I'm interested in this area, so I'd like to hear from those with experience. How can I get in?

There's many ways to break in. The way I started was with Taxi and pumpaudio which helped land a few placements with UPN in 2003. Then there was a huge gap.. no placements for close to a year. So I signed up with other music pitching services and libraries which led to other placements and eventually direct connections with music supervisors and comapanies who are now repeat clients.

Music libraries
Pitching Sevices
Production houses
Music pluggers
supervisors

They're all in the credits of your favorite tv shows and movies and most can be found online with ease.

Hope this has helped.

- Greg Savage

Thanks, Greg. I'm disabled, so it's "monetize my hobby" time. I'll also be digging for voiceover work; I can do the "old-school network/radio announcer guy" pretty well.

The only problem with reading credits off shows is that network and basic cable roll credits insanely fast these days.
My estimate is anywhere from .25 to .5 sec for each screen, in crazy small "legal obligation" print.

Back