One-Man-Band (songwriting session) video-song

FreshChops

.... just wanted to share a song I just wrapped up where I video'd the whole tracking process. The video used per part is actual capture of the tracks used. I start by playing all the guitar parts through in one shot, using a looper (EHX 2880) and a pair of amps (panned via the looper) to layer guitars. It was an experiment, that's more of a glimpse into my approach to songwriting.

One Man Band (Songwriting Sessions) - "Paradise Lost" - YouTube

I'm eager to here what y'all think. It's all done and wrapped around video editing and all, so not much leeway for change, but I'm just getting started so open to all critiques.... anything you're hearing in the mix etc.? I'm quite new to this and looking on how to improve going forward!

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Hi Chris,

I think this is pretty cool, and you are a great musician with good timing and a laid-back feel, so it's very easy to listen to and enjoy. I am just starting to think about putting together a video like this for a song or two from my album, so I'm very interested in the whole process, although I think my shooting process will be somewhat different, based on the fact that you are shooting the actual tracking and I will be shooting fake video performances and trying to sync them up to a prerecorded song. I really like the approach of shooting video for all the different parts, especially for a one-man-band setup, and I'm in a very similar situation, except I do have a drummer :)

For nits...well, for a first try, I think it's great, but looking with a very critical eye, I would say it could be better if there was more movement/interest in the individual frames of the video and more cuts from clip to clip within frames (hopefully that makes sense?). I've been watching a ton of tutorials on Lynda.com lately and there are some really great ones out there on Adobe Premiere, and one in particular is by a guy named Chad Perkins, and it's freaking awesome. (I don't actually own Premiere, but Adobe does 30 day free trials of almost all their software, and I'm planning to get all my video clips together and then when I'm ready, download the trial and get the editing done within the 30 day window. At some point I will buy it, but for now, it's low on the list of priorities :)) Since you are starting to shoot video and stuff, I'd HIGHLY recommend grabbing a free trial from Lynda.com and watching at least Chad Perkins's Adobe Premiere CS5 class. There's a chapter/section in there about the art of video editing that I found to be really, really helpful. Anyway, in his tutorial, he mentions how in this day and age we've all become so accustomed to rapid-fire cuts in videos, so a video staying in one point of view for more than 5 - 10 seconds now seems like an eternity to most people watching. You've got frames in your video that stay on the same shot/POV for the whole video, so that would be the first thing I'd try to change. The second thing (well, actually this would probably be the higher priority if I had to choose...) is lighting. Check out a couple of YouTube vids on video lighting or three-point lighting. There are some relatively cheap DIY approaches to 3-point lighting, or you can go and buy something if you like, but either way, I think better lighting would help your vids for sure. These are nits, cause I really think you did a nice job with this, but it's always good to try to improve, right? :)

For the mix, I'm impressed with how it sounds, and would love to hear more about your gear...amps, preamps, mics, DAW, etc. The drums sound really nice to me (as far as I can tell from YouTube's crappy audio), but I think I'm hearing two things that I might focus in on if I were mixing it...1) the kick seems a little boomy, without much point on it, and 2) I seem to be hearing some clicks in there, and I can't tell if it's maybe you hitting the rim of the snare, or something else, but it seems odd in the mix. Other than that...I liked the mix a lot. I think you have good balance in volume and it seems pretty open and full-sounding.

Oh, one other suggestion...there's a duo out there on YouTube called Pomplamoose with a bunch of really popular videos in this same format (I think they call it a VideoSong?) I'd also watch their videos...the music is a little strange at times, and they seem to be pretty goofy, but the videos are really well done and in this same style, so you might get some additional ideas. I know I'm going to be trying to borrow a few of their tricks :)

Good luck to you as you go forward. I think you've got the talent and you are definitely on the right track, so I look forward to hearing/seeing more from you!

Very Best,

Dave DeWhitt
Midnight Muse Media - Home

Check Out My New Album
iTunes - Music - Signs of Life by Dave DeWhitt
Cover_Small copy.png

hey dewhitt,

first, thanks for the compliments and encouragement. I think shooting a video "post" recording would be so much more fun and open avenues to be more creative. I'm surprised that someone took the time to critique the video itself. Not what I was expecting, but I appreciate all the well thought out ideas approaching the video. The irony is that I have superb cameras for video (Canon EOS 5D), lighting and experience with film to make it look pro, but I really just wanted it to look more candid than anything.... almost voyeur'esque if anything. I have Adobe Premere and Final Cut Pro, and all said, just sent the crappy little video files to my video editing friend to collage together.

I have seen other videosong videos where they do capture the recorded performance and all and for the most part, they do jump from shot to shot randomly. I thought it be interesting to have all parts streaming so that the viewer could watch whatever part appeals to them at the time, or even add re-watch value if they wanted to see other parts they missed. As far as more motion in the shots, I knew the screens would be played side by side so figured busy shots per performance would create a very overwhelming, busy collage of pictures. In shourt, I took the video serious in regards to committing to capture the actual performance and portray it spread to the audio, however, I very much didn't take the quality of the video itself serious at all.... in fact, I wanted an old nostalgic feel.

As far as the recording, I'd be happy to share some tech specs on gear and all as you go.... just ask!

Ah, ok...my bad. The way I read your post I thought you were looking for both audio and video comments :)

I think your approach is certainly valid and you may be absolutely right about the busyness of too many cuts in the frames. I have some lighting being delivered to my door sometime this week hopefully and plan to start shooting my own video over the next week or two, so hopefully I'll have something to share myself for critique soon!

Very Best,

Dave DeWhitt
www.midnightmusemedia.com

Check Out My New Album
iTunes - Music - Signs of Life by Dave DeWhitt
Cover_Small copy.png

Back