A new website for collaborating on music

Tudan

Hi there guys

Sorry i posted this in the wrong forum as this is where it should go
I have just registered the following URL www.globetraxters.com and will be working on the site with Da SMURF (who designed our bands website ( http://www.uknowhoo.com ) .The aim of this website is to bring together musicians from all over the world to input their work on various tracks which will then be highlighted on the website with a list of all the session musicians who performed on the tracks. I hope to recreate the same buzz as is evident in this forum here and will hopefully bring in other DAW Users / Soundcards users etc. As long as you have access to creating wav files you will be able to participate in the creation of the global trax for people to hear.

I have a few ideas for the website to include the following.

A short bio and mp3 of the registered session musicians

A real time chat room to swap ideas

A session musician database with contacts

A forum covering all parts that we as musicians would like to see covered.

An FTP account for all registered users

A Global FTP account for all registered users to pick up and drop of projects....the FTP server will be open 24/7 when the website is operational.

A Showcase of the best songs that we receive, with lots of reviews by joe public...ie u guys (ie the best songs out there will be placed on the server)

Registration will be free. Music will be for the public domain

THIS IS THE PART WHERE I REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT GUYS

What other ideas would you like to see implemented on the first global music collaboration website?

I believe that from all acorns mighty oaks grow and this idea i think will grow and grow considering the talent that is out there at the moment.

Capptain i think explains the reason better than i do and this was his post..."I have to say a few things here...first of all, this whole thing is absolutely amazing and I have Dinsdale and this forum to thank...Without this forum, the chances of Ross and I's paths ever crossing would have been virtually nothing. This whole Trans-Atlantic Collaboration thing basically started out as an experiment spurred from the original "G-Men Collaboration" via snail mail. In the beginning Ross and I were just saying to each other, "Let's see if this can be done." When our FIRST TRY was a COMPLETE success, the excitement level between us at that point became almost tangible...furthermore, who would have thought that the first two people on this forum to try this would wind up have nearly IDENTICAL musical tastes, styles, interests, etc....Aside from having to put up with my wife's jabs at me about "Meeting Another Man On The Internet", this has been without a doubt a life altering, positive experience. I can HONESTLY say that the music that I have made with Ross in the last month is hands down THE BEST I have ever done.

For someone like me, (school teacher / goverment working schmuck) this has been a godsend...gone are the days where I have the motivation to lug around all my gear to the clubs and play till 3 in the morning, either for FREE or $50 and a greasy hamburger. Although I DON'T have the motivation to do this anymore on any kind of regular schedule, that DOES NOT mean that I don't have the desire to collaborate and MAKE MUSIC on a regular basis.

THIS is where Globetraxters.com is going to come in to play...Ross and I have been on such a high for the last month, we just said, "We've GOT to figure out how to organize this to the point where more people can FEEL LIKE WE DO. (Pardon the frampton-ism).

One of the major things that occured to us while brainstorming ideas for this, is that there is NO reason why people with OTHER daws can't get involved...not that we can think of anyway...it's all WAV data. The process is so easy that its almost silly. So we will be plugging Globetraxters on other daw's forums also.

The idea behind Globtraxters is simple:

1. A meeting place for musicians who want to find collaborators to work with.

2. A physical vehicle to drive the collaborations

3. A place to showcase work.

Another idea we have had (as silly as it sounds) is to treat Globetraxters as almost a musical dating service! Let's face it folks, if your bag is Death Metal, there is no reason to collaborate with someone whose primary influences are Joni Mitchell and James Taylor! So we thought a keen idea would be to sort musicians by there profiles, so if you ARE into death metal, you can access a list of OTHER musicians who are also into that.

Anyway...I'm rambling about the specifics and that can be done at a later time...the point is that this site (Globetraxters.com) is going to be coming on line in about 4-6 weeks...at that point, we (Ross, Smurf, and I) would LOVE to share that tangible excitement with everyone"

Please understand that this post is only to let people know because homerecording bbs is by far the busiest and best home-recording forum out there.

Thank you for your time

you can listen to the quality of a collaboration between scotland and texas at the link below

ftp://public:aw16g@b00mboy.dynu.com

Ross

Last edited:
that site is wicked so far. I think it'd be cool if collaborators could have a kind of journal, something similar to the guide/article "A Step By Step Run-Through of the Collaborative Process." This way people who were not part of the collab could see how the final product was created. It'd be entertaining and educational.

I've been advocating this idea for quite some time.

My current site for it has been launched a few days ago at

http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/mleague/

it's a replacement for an earlier, more targeted idea. I've created about 30 songs with people all over the world so far, doing these things and have run into just about every problem you can imagine.

But, it's all been worth it for the experience and of course, the music. A singer, bass player and myself even got involved enough to complete a 10 track release available at

http://www.mp3.com/ReignmakeR

None of use have ever met, yet we managed to create 10 original songs together that sound very cohesive. Sonically, it sounds alot like Kiss' Creatures of the Night album. Musically it's a melodic hard rock ala Ufo or early Savatage.

Internet collaboration is the perfect way for people to find like minded musicians, regardless of their home area.

Great idea. I think the hardest thing for musicians is to get their music heard. It takes more than talent alone. You have to have a connection. Sounds like this might provide an avenue!

Dave

Back