MySpace - How to use it?

glynb

Balladeer
How do you use MySpace most effectively in order to promote your music?

Is the secret to be an avid inviter to join your friends list?

I have an account, but not sure how best to use it. Others seem to think this is one of the best forms of promotion.

Any views/experience?

I'm interested in this, too. I have been having trouble getting the music player onto the site. Any advice on how to do this?

(sorry for hijacking)

I've found it a good way to find/network with other bands to book shows and whatnot. Without myspace, I think our band would have missed out on the opportunity to meet similar bands in our area, who don't (like us) get a lot of other exposure. Get your page up, then start searching for bands with similar styles to yours.

In our case, we didn't invite any regular individuals to "be our friend" but we did invite similar bands. If regular folk ask us to be their friend, we always accept. So it's a more passive approach, but it works well for us, as we don't wanna force our music/news updates/pictures on people who aren't interested.

The bottom line here is the fact that EVERYONE is getting on this thing. It's pheonmonally popular right now, so it's definately to your advantage and it's free. Seems to me that the best thing to do for your music is obviously target similar tastes and bands. Sure you can find some random interest, but get your page up and start doing searches for other bands, labels and people who are interested in, or have some of the same bands listed as influences. You can do music searches based on just that, band influences.

Andy makes a really good point about being selective about who you bombard with your information. A lot of folks have it set to where they won't accept invites from bands for that reason. There's just way too many of them, and they all want your attention. Posting a bulletin for every single move you make is pretty annoying to most people including myself. If someone likes what you do, and they encounter it from your page, they can get to you if they want. I'm really against attacking people with promotion. It's not gonna work anyway if your actual music doesn't interest people.

As far as getting your mp3's up, you need to start a band page. If it's a personal page you've created, I don't think you can put up music on it.

It's funny that this comes up because just today, it seems as though some pretty promising independant label interest has been generated towards a thing I'm involved in through myspace.

Hmmm, being naive about MySpace looks like I made a fundamental mistake and set up a personal account rather than a band account. I've emailed them to see about changing it over so i can post some tunes.

peopleperson said:
You can easily just cancel the account and start a band page.

Yep. I realise that, but presumably I'd lose my existing 'Friends' and start from scratch?

The first time I tried to register, I missed some fields.
Now it thinks I'm under 14, and won't let me join!! :mad:

I even tried new names and email addresses, but no luck....... :rolleyes:

whyseye said:

it probably placed a cookie on your PC so it 'knows' who you are. You could try flushing out your temp files and deleting all offline content, then try and sign up again using another email address and slightly different name, should work. Warning: Some of the cookies you delete might affect other programs, typicaly ones where you need a password to sign in and you've said in the past to remeber you, you'll find you are suddenly prompted for a password. So think about it carefully!

The better way would be to email them, explain the eroror and get them to allow you to fix it, maybe?

whyseye said:

Dang, that sucks! I wanted you to be one of my friends! :mad:

Any of you guys who are you on Myspace feel free to add me to your friends list..
I think it's easiest if you look me up by email address.... scarboro78@yahoo.com

My screen name is ScarboroProductions.

glynb said:
The better way would be to email them, explain the eroror and get them to allow you to fix it, maybe?

I tried that myself a few months ago & haven't received a response. Because of this, I now have a personal & a band account.

As far as promotion goes, I helped organize a benefit concert a few weeks ago and used myspace as a promotional tool. I sat down for a dozen or so hours and sifted through 60 pages of locals within a 10 mile radius. I visited every page and read over their musical interests. When I saw a band mentioned that was similiar to one of the 13 I had playing, I sent a friend request. By using this method, I now have somewhere between 180 - 200 friends that are interested in what I was doing.

Time consuming, yes...but so is passing out flyers.

whyseye said:

I've had something like that happen to me once. But, just like glynb suggested, I deleted my cookies and was able to fix the problem.

scarboro78 said:
Any of you guys who are you on Myspace feel free to add me to your friends list..
I think it's easiest if you look me up by email address.... scarboro78@yahoo.com

My screen name is ScarboroProductions.

I added you (or, rather, requested to add you)!

Well if there are any people in teh central virginia vecinity that want to do a show--holla t me, i am TRYING to organize something for January. My december dream went up in smoke.

Back