my song title is a book title - copyright infringement?

malgovert

does anyone know - if I post an mp3 on the web which has the same title as a (very) famous book - am I risking copyright infringement? The author of the book is still alive... don't wanna cause any trouble... Malg

No, because titles cant be copyrighted...now if you ripped off his story and put it in a song, that may be a different matter....

Right on Gidge,

Titles can't be copyrighted. If you do use
a real popular title, like "Jailhouse rock"
I've heard you can legally be stopped
if necessary.

Chuck

Yes,

they may be able to stop me (key word, MAY) but the legal battle that follows will give me the necessary publicity I need to jumpstart my little songwriting career.....

Note to self...write a song titled "Jailhouse Rock", lyrical content not really important.....

Titles cannot be copyrighted, but be careful when using trademarks or other words which are associated with specific things or people.

For example, "I Will Always Love You" is a common phrase that you wouldn't have a problem using even though there is a very popular song by that name. Something like "Oreo Chocolate Cookies" may get you in trouble though.

Sites like mp3.com are very away of this and will often refuse your song if you use a title with a famous person or name. They especially watch for people using artists names because it is (or was) a common way to game the system.

dave @ kathode ray
www.indiebiz.com

Back