Music Sales VS Gear Sales

Noah Nelson

I am an independent artist throwing shows once a month at a small bar.. We are thinking of Making Gear (hats/ shirts/ etc..) but are worried about how many we can realistically sell! I wanted to see if people have an easier time selling there CDs/Media or Gear and if they recommend any advice!:thumbs up:

Sell the T's/hats/merchandise....and then include your CD for "FREE" with each gear purchase. :)

Be creative. Everyone tries to sell hats and t-shirts, and everyone sits on boxes full of them. Sell something small and unique that doesn't cost much. Like underwear, or socks. Beer coozies. Keychains. I used to play in a psychobilly band and we sold customized stuff like lighters, combs, matchbooks, coozies, and the usual t-shirts, and back then, tapes. We always ran out of lighters. You're not going to make any profit anyway, so be cool about it.

That reminds me of this local store owner I interviewed for a college class a few years back, and he recommended to me that if I opened up a recording studio, I should combine it with a lingerie shop. It actually makes very good business sense.

That reminds me of this local store owner I interviewed for a college class a few years back, and he recommended to me that if I opened up a recording studio, I should combine it with a lingerie shop. It actually makes very good business sense.

In College Station, TX there used to be a bar/laundromat called Harvey Washburns. You start a load of clothes, drink about 5 beers, throw em in the dryer, 5 more beers, stagger home dropping socks along the way. Cool place.

Ask the audience at your next show, during the performance. If they return next month and you have the gear they shouted, they're more likely to buy it than say, you showing up pushing stuff on them. Survey would be ideal, but the world is flooded with more of them than branded band tees. Guessing what they want is worthless IMO. What's been suggested thus far is spot on, ie - figuring out what unique item you could cross brand with a free cd.

Back