mastering for mp3?

natmj

What do you think about mastering before producing an mp3? The obvious advantage: it sounds better. The disadvantage: any critiques I get from people won't reflect my recording skills as much as they would if I didn't have the music mastered.

My own opinion is that you should definately master the MP3 before you make it available. The average listener (and even recording afficondos) wants to hear the song - period. Anything that deterrs them from hearing your best effort will ultimately be your loss. What they hear the first time goes a long way in determining if they think you are worthy of another listen. You can always discuss the way you recorded the effort as a side note to the composition. Plus, it is to your advantage to take any criticisms/comments back to the studio - remix and remaster for another go.

--Good Luck--

What about posting your "raw" (mixed yourself) MP3s for folks like us to offer constructive criticism, and then remixing from there for "the public"? When you get enough finished tracks for a CD, perhaps then get them all mastered at that time.

Thanks for your responses. I agree with them both in their own right but feel that I'm going to have to ignore the sage wisdom of Dragon due to time constraints . . . I gotta get this baby done before school starts.

In the future, I believe post the raw copy (if my ego feels ready for it) then update it and finally master for the public.

I know the feeling...well, I hope you'll post the URLs in the MP3 forum so we can hear the final result no matter what!

Hey Dragon I like your idea about posting the 'pre-mixed' mp3's for critique. I am new to this and I would appreciate any kind of 'technical' feedback about our music. Please check it out at www.mp3.com/tentileight Any constructive criticism is appreciated!

Back