Making soundtracks for film/tv/radio - How to get music heard and sold in 21st Centur

guntherbuffalo

Hi,

There are bound to be a fair few people on this forum who currently successfully create and sell their own music for use in film/tv/radio soundtracks/jingles/theatre etc.

What advice is there for a musician building a portfolio of instrumental music to get that music heard and sold. There are plenty of articles online with the usual "it's a competitive business" or "just keep putting yourself out there" jargon, and loads of obvious tips, but no real concrete advice on who to send your music to or good actions to take.

It would be great to hear some personal first hand accounts of the events that lead to your first break, or your first paid piece of music.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

There's a service called Taxi that connects music makers with commercial music buyers. There's another one called Music Xray. I've been experimenting with Music Xray with limited success after limited investment. It's about as close to gambling as I get.

There's a service called Taxi that connects music makers with commercial music buyers. There's another one called Music Xray. I've been experimenting with Music Xray with limited success after limited investment. It's about as close to gambling as I get.

Yes I have heard of Music X-Ray. Seems a bit of a jip that the artists have to pay to sell their music there so a little reluctant.

I guess the cost is sort of a filter that keeps the amount of stuff music managers etc. have to listen to under control. Music that doesn't do well eventually goes away as the people who make that music get tired of paying and not getting anywhere.

I made several submissions, spent very little and got added to a music podcast. You do have to buy their "diagnostics" to have your song evaluated before submitting it, but it's not that much ($5?) and it does offer some useful feedback. As long as you don't get manic about it and start submitting to dozens of opportunities it's not that expensive. Just be patient and target the occasional perfect match.

It's not enough just to upload your music on royalty sites and hope for some cash. If there's one thing I've learned in this world, it's that you have to take matters into your own hands. Build your own website and start promoting your brand on every social media and as many forums as you can find. For example, I started my own forum and individually messaged hundreds of people to join. Keep uploading material and you'll eventually make at least some $$.

Yeah I don't mean so much the royalty sites I mean more about ways of making connections and who to send music to and actually get a response.

Back