Licensing, etc.

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
Can anyone recommend a great site/book on licensing songs to film, TV, etc.
If someone wanted to make music available for indie films, etc. and wanted to be paid for it in the event someone used something, how's it done?

become a member of ascap, bmi, or sesac. or all three....i don't remember if there's any more music liscensing companies.

i would think that the only other way to do it is to personally know some directors or try to get in touch with some directors and try to talk them into using your music.

actually either way, you're probably going to have to know some directors.......how else will they find your music?

What you are talking about is called "Synchronization rights." One of the jobs of a music publisher is to get these opportunities for the songs in their catalog. So, you either need to find a publisher or you need to act as your own publisher.

There is no "standard" rate for synchronization rights. They are negotiated on a case by case basis.

FYI - You cannot be a member of more than one performing rights organization at a time. You must choose (in the U.S.) between ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.

Also, these folks are responsible for collecting public performance royalties, and have nothing to do with placing music with films or collecting royalties for such use.

they are responsible for getting money from the theatre though.....

and i honestly don't know for sure, but i think i've seen albums where the band was a member of both ascap and bmi

also..i realise now that i didn't completely understand the question....so sorry about the irrelevant/wrong info

Movie theatres do not need to be licensed for the music that is part of the movie. That is covered by the Synchronization rights purchased by the movie producer. (If the theatre also has music in the lobby, or other use, that's a different story).

Bands are not members of ASCAP or BMI. Individuals and publishers are. Two different members of a band who write a song together can each be a member of different PROs (performaing rights organization), which is probably what you've seen listed on liner notes. An individual cannot be a member of more than one PRO.

Back