Independent Internet Music Marketing Resources List

junplugged

Taking the slow road
Independent Internet Music Marketing Resources List:

Let's get our Indy tunes out there for 2014. We've worked hard to record them, let's share our resources that we've found to be successful.

1. Your blog
what have you found works?
It used to be myspace, but looks now like
Facebook,
blogspot / blogger - goolge's blogs since the purchased blogger,
your own blog software on your own web page - this could be in html or a package like wordpress
Wordpress free blogs
2. your web site
This could be your own domain name pointing to your blog, or your blog software on your domain or
Your own, homemade HTML web page written in bare HTML (rare these days) or PHP that parses HTML
3. Email
You'll get tons of spam, but if you have a filter maybe this will still help you as you:
list your email address on your blog and/or your website
4. Twitter
This is essential to update your blog/website/twitter followers on updates to your site and on
5. Your career updates, especially upcoming gigs
The updates serve as your newsletter, just like the old days, but no stamps or bulk mail permits
there will most likely be no printed newsletter or post cards for updates, we are not in the 1990's any more
6. Forums / BBS
this one, homerecording
list the one's you go to, they could be related to indie promotion, bands, gear reviews, or anything at all
a link on your signature is usually ok, or at least put it on your profile
7. Youtube
You can post your music with either a static image, a slide show, or an actual video, google will advertiese on it for you and they will not share any of the profit on that advertisement with you, unless, maybe you have 10 million hits....
8. CD Baby
If you actually had a CD manufactured and delivered, does anyone do this any more?
...I haven't checked lately but I wouldn't doubt if they also accepted mp3's to sell downloads

I'm thinking there must be 25 more like this, but these just seem like a decent start, please add.

Reverbation - hosts MP3s, links for videos, gigs, blog, etc.
CDs on Amazon/Createspace/Kunaki
Downloads on Amazon/bandcamp

Forums- whatever is appropriate. Bandmix, AcousticGuitarForum

reverbnation is great you can get really high in your local area, im in the top 10 and i hardly even check my reverbnation page. Make sure you link it back to your other social media pages to rank even higher. Youtube is phenomenal as well, Soundcloud,twitter and fb all help as well

I think a important thing is having a image. If your a solo artist, get a nice cover made. Make sure your pictures of yourself look good on your Twitter, Facebook, or whatever.

- Having an opt-in page with a free giveaway (For example a free album) to build an email list
- I found YouTube to be the most rewarding and viral way to promote my music (over 7,000 subs and 2,500,000 song plays), consistency is the key here
- Having a blog and posting 3-5 articles every week is also a great strategy to attract new listeners, about 60% of all my website visitors used to come from my blog
- Get yourself a profile on all major social media networks and brand them consistently. My favorites are: Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn
- If you're selling beats, I've found BeatStars to be the most rewarding, a lot better than SoundClick which is dominated by a few big players

All of the above. Also, Soundcloud is an easy way to directly upload songs to the public. Bandcamp definitely should be included in this list too. Seriously, check out Bandcamp. As soon as I finish my demo, there's no doubt that I'll make a bandcamp account.

- I found YouTube to be the most rewarding and viral way to promote my music (over 7,000 subs and 2,500,000 song plays)

I get spam all the time from people selling 'video plays' and FB 'likes' - is that how you got that many views? I can't watch your linked videos at work.

Back