I just produced my first CD

Xeries

Earth Member
I can't tell you how susccessful it is, because I just did it a couple days ago. I just got the proof (sample copy) in the mail yesterday. It looks pretty good and sounds pretty good. (8 out of 10 tracks are wave files)

I did it to raise funds for a family who lost their house to arson wildfires last Sunday in Malabar, Florida. The cost is $10.00. My cost is $2.05, so the family gets $7.95 per copy. The reason why I'm doing this is because they had no homeowner's insurance. Imagine how that would feel. Pretty bad.

I wrote the title track, Fire and Life, the morning after my parents' house burned down in 1977, so I can relate to their troubles.

As far as the success goes, I can say that I already have two outlets who are willing to sell the CD for free. I have had multiple orders from two different forums, and one very special lady in France is sending me $100.00.

Now, if it weren't for a good cause, maybe the outlets wouldn't agree to sell it and maybe I wouldn't have so many advance orders. Just food for thought.

I plan to approach a local radio station on which I used to perform live every Wednesday night back in the 80's. They might give me some air play and mention where the CD can be sold. Then again, they might not. I'll keep you posted. Perhaps we all can learn something from this experience.

If you are interested in which songs are on the CD, they are the first ten listed here on Soundclick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=466247

I'll let you know how everthing turns out.:)

This forum seems to be REALLY slow, which is odd since youd figure a lot of people would be interested in the publishing and marketing process.
Anyways, Ive listened to some of the songs and you got talent;)
You have every right to be proud of your hard work.
What gear did you use to record, and how are the sales going?

Mike

This forum seems to be REALLY slow, which is odd since youd figure a lot of people would be interested in the publishing and marketing process.

Mike

Thanks very much, Mike,

I basically use Sonar 6 PE with a Presonus firebox audio interface. I use two condenser mics to do vocals and wind instruments in stereo about ten inches away on each side. I wrap a thin piece of foam around the mic and secure it with cable ties to prevent "plosions."

My guitars are a classical Fender and a Washburn steelstring. I play a soprano flute and recorder and a bunch of harmonicas.

My synth patches are from a Roland XP-30 also in stereo with direct in R and L cables to the Firebox.

My drums are usually lacking because I don't spend a lot of time there.

I use effects pretty sparingly, usually just the Sonitus reverb in Sonar called "short and sweet."

I'm always looking for some collaborator to replace what I don't do as well as he or she does, so keep that in mind. :)

I wrote up a press release for a local radio station here WFIT (Florida Institute of Technology) where I was a regular on a Wednesday night show in the 80's.

Hopefully with a little air play the sales of the CD will succeed. I make nothing from this and I am grateful to all who buy it to help this family who has lost their home.

I have just received them via UPS today and they look great. I will place them in three outlets tomorrow and hopefully get some air play on WFIT.

Music is a great tool to help people and I'm just glad to be a part of it.:)

Mike

Hey Mike,

I took a box of CDs to church today and told them about the family who lost their house. The response was amazing. People came up to me and gave me $20.00, $50.00, $100.00 and said that that's how much they wanted to buy it for. I said, "here, take some more and give them as gifts to your friends," but for the most part, they said, "no, you sell them and raise more money for your friends."

I've never sold my music before, and the first day I opened the box, more than one person bought a CD for $100.00. It's a really good thing to witness the outpouring of the human heart. The people of my chapel are wonderful.:)

Man that is truly a blessing. I am happy for you and your efforts to help others. I must, however, admit a bit of jealousy as I have tried to tell folk in my area about my own attempt to raise money for a college fund through a charity organization I have worked with .. in my area.. NO SUCH LUCK! LOL

Good job, it sounds good and doing for others always has a fresh vibe that people pick-up on. It shows in the purchases.

Best of luck

Back