how to protect my songs

Rev E....
The answer to your last question is "no". All former members/writers must be included in the negotiations.

Also, you are correct in everything you posted above except for one thing.
I would NOT wait until the mastered and duplicated CD was finished before I copyright the songs, and here's why....
During the mastering process, someone else (probably someone you don't know personally) is going to be hearing your material over and over again.
During the duplication process, more strangers are going to hear your "unprotected" material.
Because most duplication jobs are sent out of your home state, and it isn't completed for several weeks, you leave yourself wide open for people to steal your material.
I strongly suggest sending the copyright office your best mix as soon as it's finished and ready to be mastered. It's the safest way to go.
Unfortunately, people steal things.
Good songs are no exception.

Rev E:

I have a feeling you're the one who misinterpreted or misunderstood, or misread what I wrote; you may want to re-read what I've said. I already knew ALL that of which you have written here and how to go about doing it all; a lot of which I've done as well.

What I had previously written here in this thread is very short and sweet because I already posted this type of info here in the forum and in others with quite a bit of detail. Hence, my first response to this thread.

hey there guys I think I have what you need and it's free! Write up a contractual type agreement that states that you wrote such and such a song on such and such a date and get two witnesses to sign it stateing when the first time they heard you play the song...this also means that you should always play your new songs for atleast two people you ttrust whenever you write and record them... then get them to sign the form at the same time! This is legal in court and also I think you should know something about copyright....You own the copyright of a work as soon as you create a hard copy of the work! What you have to do is register that you are the owner of that copyright. This can be done by the PA form from the library of congress or by calling your local intellectual properties office for more info! Hope I was of some help!

Back