How NOT to get your band booked!

dudernut

Hey everyone, as some of you may know, I'm working on a web series from my home studio featuring bands from my area performing and discussing their project. About a month ago, I received a message from an interested artist. I get quite a few of these, and this one fell through the cracks. I did not respond and honestly forgot about it. This morning, I woke up to this string of comments:

--------------------------
Alright no worries guys. Lol

I have over 150,000 social media followers, I'm verified, have toured the world, and been on MTV, VH1, and over 20,000 radio stations. Not trying to brag, just stating that as a new production business, wouldn't getting artists with a following help you guys a ton?

I was reachin out to you guys to see if I could help. But its pretty clear your guys are on the up and up and don't need any help

Next time, for the record, wether your gonna work with an artist, big or small, it's always good to at least respond. Gives off a bad light on your company.

Good luck lol

--------------------------
Of course, he then blocked me from responding. I understand the frustration of not being contacted back...I have done almost all the booking for every single band I've played in. One thing I learned, however, is the art of friendly persistence. A simple reminder would have gone much farther with me: "Hey, have you had a chance to check out these tracks yet? I'd still love to be a part of the show"...but acting like I'm missing out because of your past touring and social media presence?? I give NO shits about that. I do understand the importance of social media in music marketing, but that's not what I look for. This is a passion project, so I look for groups that either speak to me musically or friendly people I know from the scene. That is a sure-fire way to burn networking bridges before they are even built. Just venting, but I also thought maybe others could learn from this guy's dipshit mistake.

Did he really make a "dipshit mistake" though? If his credentials are true, then he's been doing just fine without you and I doubt you can hurt his "brand".

Well if he's done this only with me, it won't matter...I'm just a shitty web show. But if he does this anytime he doesn't get a booking reply, it's going to hurt him. It's not the first time I've heard of people doing this kind of thing, and it doesn't help their cause!

Well if he's done this only with me, it won't matter...I'm just a shitty web show. But if he does this anytime he doesn't get a booking reply, it's going to hurt him. It's not the first time I've heard of people doing this kind of thing, and it doesn't help their cause!

This is why I never book or promote my own bands. Never. I always leave that up to someone else. Anyone else. Some people love networking and hobnobbing with the scenesters. Not me. I hate the ass kissing and fake friendships you have to cultivate to keep a band growing. If it were left up to me, nothing would ever get done and we'd never be allowed to play anywhere.

This is why I never book or promote my own bands. Never. I always leave that up to someone else. Anyone else. Some people love networking and hobnobbing with the scenesters. Not me. I hate the ass kissing and fake friendships you have to cultivate to keep a band growing. If it were left up to me, nothing would ever get done and we'd never be allowed to play anywhere.

"Greg, I just checked our outbox, and it looks like you sent every venue within 100 miles a message that simply said 'f*** you book my band'. Are you sure this is the best strategy? You didn't even include the band name."

Back