Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How to make it downloadable, how to put it on Youtube

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmont View Post
    Just heard back from my web provider. I'd have to pay $300 a year to make songs downloadable.
    A free webhost?

If not, that is utterly ridiculous.

Lots of cheap webhosters have limits. Like max. filesize set to 500 kB or so. An mp3 is bigger, so you can't upload mp3's to your site.

"Unlimited" is a lie.

Pay a decent amount for a good webhost. Less than 100$ a year should get you free from ridiculous limits. If you need more disk space, you'll pay a little more. But not 300$.

I rent a complete server, dual quad core, 100 Mb connectivity (unmetered) and dual 500 GB disks in RAID1 for 40 € per month (excl. VAT). Even a middle of the road VPS shouldn't cost more than 10$ a month. Disadvantage: you need to install and maintain the OS yourself. Takes time and knowledge.
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cyrano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    . . . I'm going to say again, perhaps more clearly, that the language of the requirement says it is released for ... for download on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, Bandcamp, or other similar platforms. I just don't understand why others here, well-intentioned I'm sure, are insisting you put it on a personal webpage that IMHO is not one of those similar platforms.
    Yep, I agree. The application doesn't say anything about needing or using your own website. I just happen to have one.

Thanks
    It's easy enough to test it yourself, just go to your ReverbNation page without logging in and see if you can download it. . . .
    Tried it. Didn't work. I'll try Soundcloud.

Thanks
    Tried it. Didn't work. I'll try Soundcloud.
    You may have to edit the default permissions for your files. SoundCloud will behave the same way if you only upload and do not enable downloads in the Permissions tab. You may just have to edit the file/song settings in ReverbNation. I don't have an account there so can't comment on that!
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
    A free webhost?

If not, that is utterly ridiculous.

Lots of cheap webhosters have limits. Like max. filesize set to 500 kB or so. An mp3 is bigger, so you can't upload mp3's to your site.

"Unlimited" is a lie.

Pay a decent amount for a good webhost. Less than 100$ a year should get you free from ridiculous limits. If you need more disk space, you'll pay a little more. But not 300$.

I rent a complete server, dual quad core, 100 Mb connectivity (unmetered) and dual 500 GB disks in RAID1 for 40 € per month (excl. VAT). Even a middle of the road VPS shouldn't cost more than 10$ a month. Disadvantage: you need to install and maintain the OS yourself. Takes time and knowledge.
    All good advice.

For $100 a year, I get a lot of space, flexibility, and autonomy. At least, I've uploaded about 120 mp3s and a whole lot of photos without hitting a wall.

Weebly is stupid-easy to work and to make look good, and I get everything I want for about $100 a year. I have 120 mp3s on my site, with no end in sight. Maybe it's not unlimited, but it's giving as much space as I've wanted so far. This download thing is a one-shot, not worth paying to add it to the site, which doesn't need it.

I can't translate all of your last paragraph (dual quad core? connectivity? unmetered?? RAID1? VPS?), but 40€ must be be about $50 a month, or $600 a year. For that much, I'd never think about getting a website. And who knows how to install and maintain an operating system? Not this boy! I just play guitar and write songs.

Thanks
    You may have to edit the default permissions for your files. SoundCloud will behave the same way if you only upload and do not enable downloads in the Permissions tab. You may just have to edit the file/song settings in ReverbNation. I don't have an account there so can't comment on that!
    Just put it on Soundcloud and hit the "downloadable" button:

Thanks! Next stop: Videoland!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
    As I said, it's just obfuscated. Take one look at the html code and there's the link:

https://www.thefullertons.net/upload...my_kitchen.mp3

Just open the link, or do a "save as" directly.

Some widgets are harder, because they don't show the link as html, but hack it into pieces, usually with Javascript. Like Youtube. But that just takes someone to reverse engineer the obfuscation and make a script.

And then there are the analog and digital holes:

- Analog: listen to the song, re-record it.
    - Digital: route the stream to a "recording" tool.

If you want the visitor to be able to hear the song, it will be downloadable.

Like the music, BTW!
    This is probably just something I don't know how to do. I can't read a word of html.

The O'Hara foundation probably doesn't want to have to fool with html, either. When they say "downloadable," I'm sure they mean without doing any of the work themselves.

I've posted the song on Soundcloud, which I'll hope is good enough.

Thanks
    I can't translate all of your last paragraph (dual quad core? connectivity? unmetered?? RAID1? VPS?), but 40€ must be be about $50 a month, or $600 a year. For that much, I'd never think about getting a website. And who knows how to install and maintain an operating system? Not this boy! I just play guitar and write songs.
    That's for a complete server. Not a hosting account. One server can host a few hundred websites. Well, mine hosts 15 atm

But a few of those need heavy lifting and have 50-100.000 visitors a month. Too slow on a typical hosting account.
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cyrano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    How to get a direct link to one of your songs in Firefox.

Go to the page listing the file (e.g. Americanarama)
    Right-click anywhere and select "Inspect Element (Q)" or hit F12 to open developer tools.
    Click the "Network" tab in the window that pops up.
    Click the trash can icon to get rid of everything that's already there.
    Click the "play" button for the song you want.
    In the window at the bottom, you'll see a new line pop up with an mp3 name.
    Right click it > Copy > Copy Url

Send them the direct link you now have in your clipboard (e.g. https://www.thefullertons.net/upload...28/2_molly.mp3, https://www.thefullertons.net/upload...shreveport.mp3)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    How to get a direct link to one of your songs in Firefox.

Go to the page listing the file (e.g. Americanarama)
    Right-click anywhere and select "Inspect Element (Q)" or hit F12 to open developer tools.
    Click the "Network" tab in the window that pops up.
    Click the trash can icon to get rid of everything that's already there.
    Click the "play" button for the song you want.
    In the window at the bottom, you'll see a new line pop up with an mp3 name.
    Right click it > Copy > Copy Url

Send them the direct link you now have in your clipboard (e.g. https://www.thefullertons.net/upload...28/2_molly.mp3, https://www.thefullertons.net/upload...shreveport.mp3)
    I'll file that. I don't have Firefox or right-click, but it's still good to know.

Also, does that consitute a download? I know whomever I send the link to can hear the song, but have they actually downloaded a file into their computers?

Thread Information