Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make it downloadable, how to put it on Youtube

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    What kind of whack folk music grant is this?
    Dunno. Good question. It doesn't even sound like he really wants folk music. He's looking for originals, not folk songs. Nonetheless, I want to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks
    Keith suggested Soundcloud, which is fine - BUT - this means putting the code on your website to link to the Soundcloud player, when you already have the file on YOUR server, so all you need is to add the download link - you don't have to use external hosting as you are already hosting it yourself. A very simple 'click here to download the track' label.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Keith suggested Soundcloud, which is fine - BUT - this means putting the code on your website to link to the Soundcloud player, when you already have the file on YOUR server, so all you need is to add the download link - you don't have to use external hosting as you are already hosting it yourself. A very simple 'click here to download the track' label.
    Hm. Maybe Weebly (my website host) will tell me how to create that label. I sent them a query yesterday but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Ok, well, I read this requirement:
    6. Song must be released for download (free or paid, on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, Bandcamp, or other similar platforms). ...

and simply figured putting the song on SoundCloud would be sufficient, i.e., there's no reason to modify OP's own website to provide the download location. It just seemed like more work than using a service (of which there are many) that already provides that capability. And, TBH, I'm not sure putting it on your own, private page, meets the spirit of that requirement. Further, I don't think there's any requirement that @Delmont modify his own website. I suspect most entrants don't even have a website of their own, other than a FB page, perhaps (where I would put a link, actually).
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

6. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmont View Post
    Yup. They need to download music to stream it, so I need to make my song downloadable.
    Not really.

If you put an mp3 on your own website and make a link to it on one of your pages, it is downloadable by definition.

It's the other way around. To make sure the visitors can hear your music, but not easily download it, you need to jump through hoops and use widgets, or javascript or...

Real streaming is another thing. That needs a special server. Real streaming adapts to the line quality. If the visitor is on a good broadband connection, he or she will get a higher quality stream. If that user is on a poor connection, he will still be able to hear the music, but at a lower bitrate. And even when the connection changes while he is listening, the streaming server will adapt. But that's a completely different ballgame. That's what Youtube and Soundcloud do, to name just a few.
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cyrano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Ok, well, I read this requirement:
    6. Song must be released for download (free or paid, on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, Bandcamp, or other similar platforms). ...

and simply figured putting the song on SoundCloud would be sufficient, i.e., there's no reason to modify OP's own website to provide the download location. It just seemed like more work than using a service (of which there are many) that already provides that capability. And, TBH, I'm not sure putting it on your own, private page, meets the spirit of that requirement. Further, I don't think there's any requirement that @Delmont modify his own website. I suspect most entrants don't even have a website of their own, other than a FB page, perhaps (where I would put a link, actually).
    Just heard back from my web provider. I'd have to pay $300 a year to make songs downloadable. The song is already on Reverbnation.com. I didn't realize that meant it was downloadable. If it does, I just need a video.

I just buy CDs and LPs and listen to the radio and online videos. I've never downloaded a song, so I don't know what's involved. (If I want to return to a video, I just bookmark it.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
    Not really.

If you put an mp3 on your own website and make a link to it on one of your pages, it is downloadable by definition.

It's the other way around. To make sure the visitors can hear your music, but not easily download it, you need to jump through hoops and use widgets, or javascript or....
    Interesting. To post mp3s on my site so people can hear them, I just click on them and drag them from my desktop onto the web page and drop them where I want them. So the only hoops are a click, a drag, and a drop. That's three hoops and no widgets or javascript or . . . .

But they don't seem to be downloadable.

Here's my website: Home. There are about 120 mp3s there. If you can download one, tell me how you did it.

Thanks!

Thanks
    OK so I went to your site...pretty good for not knowing how to code websites (Weebly) I found all kinds of spots where I could "listen" to your music and me being a little techy could have easily recorded them with audacity thus get a file of them but....I found nowhere where I could just freely download them. It isn't rocket science and it is nothing more than hosting the Mp3 "somewhere" in the cloud and then knowing how to write the code to make a downloadable link on your website. The file can be hosted anywhere...The link allows people access to it. I am sure if you google "downloadable link" + "weebly" you or whomever built your site can figure out how to add the downloadable links.

I host most of my files with Google cause google isn't going anywhere and for my personal stuff it is free . I also use what is called "back up and sync" (used to be called google drive) which I pay @ $5 a month for for my business.

On the Mp3 aside from hosting at a place like google you can just upload them to Soundcloud or Soundclick or a dozen other music hosting sites for free and make them available through those systems to be downloadable...I know soundclick allows you to restrict or let them download...

With regard to youtube videos it is REALLY pretty simple as previously noted Windows Movie Maker is no longer available for download or supported..( maybe it is on your computer) I found it pretty easy to do still picture videos with it...

I would just drop the pictures in and the audio file in and mess around with placement and effects...I banged these out in a few hours including hunting down and absconding the images to use

You save the file and with a gmail account log into youtube and upload them...they host em for free...Then you have a youtube video to share with the world...

Below are links to some videos I did with it for some of my tunes.

Like a rolling stone

Stay with me

Here is a link to a article / reviews of free video editing software in lieu of Windows Movie maker

Good luck!

Thanks
    Just heard back from my web provider. I'd have to pay $300 a year to make songs downloadable. The song is already on Reverbnation.com. I didn't realize that meant it was downloadable. If it does, I just need a video....
    It's easy enough to test it yourself, just go to your ReverbNation page without logging in and see if you can download it. It might not be the default permission, like SoundCloud.

I'm going to say again, perhaps more clearly, that the language of the requirement says it is released for ... for download on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, Bandcamp, or other similar platforms. I just don't understand why others here, well-intentioned I'm sure, are insisting you put it on a personal webpage that IMHO is not one of those similar platforms.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

13. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's my website: Home. There are about 120 mp3s there. If you can download one, tell me how you did it.
    As I said, it's just obfuscated. Take one look at the html code and there's the link:

https://www.thefullertons.net/upload...my_kitchen.mp3

Just open the link, or do a "save as" directly.

Some widgets are harder, because they don't show the link as html, but hack it into pieces, usually with Javascript. Like Youtube. But that just takes someone to reverse engineer the obfuscation and make a script.

And then there are the analog and digital holes:

- Analog: listen to the song, re-record it.
    - Digital: route the stream to a "recording" tool.

If you want the visitor to be able to hear the song, it will be downloadable.

Like the music, BTW!
    MB Pro, FF400, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cyrano For This Useful Post:

Thread Information