how long does copyright take?

dobro

In April I sent the Library of Congress $60 - 30 for a PA registration and 30 for an SR registration. The SR came back a month later approved, but no sign of the PA yet. Do PAs take longer or something? Anybody know? Can I pester them to find out what's happening, or do they stonewall that kind of enquiry?

my last PA took 5 months but Ive heard of case taking up to a year, depending on how backed up they are......

I may be mistaken, but once you have a SR you no longer need a PA. That's what someone once said in this forum....I was going to check but never did. If that's the case, you may have a credit due you for $30. One thing for sure, you may be waiting 6 months to find out. Trying to track down your app would be like the proverbial needle in a haystack.

bd

Negative man. SR and PA are two different animals and one does not take the place of the other.

Dobro, just curious, did you send them in the same package or seperately?

"Form SR must also be used if you wish to make one registration for both the sound recording and the underlying work (the musical composition, dramatic, or literary work). You may make a single registration only if the copyright claimant is the same for both the sound recording and the underlying work. In this case, the authorship statement in Space 2 should specify that the claim covers both works. "

http://www.copyright.gov/register/sound.html

under step 1, click the 2nd "read details"

They were two separate registrations for two different collections of songs, packaged together. Two different forms, with different information on each form, but in the same envelope. I assumed that one money order to cover both wouldn't be a problem.

This is probably a dumb question but I may still be confused about when to use SR form and when to use PA.

Example: Everything recorded is original (music and lyrics)... performed by me, myself, and I. Should I use SR form?

Another Example: I created the music. I will be leasing my music for others to write their lyrics. Should I still use SR or should I use PA?

SR is used to protect the actual recording of the song.....if you wrote and performed yourself, you can use the SR to protect both the recording and the words/music, in essence it acts as a SR and PA all in one......so if someone uses a clip of one of your recordings, they are infringing on your recording....if they record a version of your song or use parts of it in a new song, they are infringing on the song.......form PA covers the words/music only(the song).....

in your first example, you can use SR.....(or PA if you just want to protect the song)

in your second, Im pretty sure you will need PA, unless they will be using a recording made by you......Brad may be able to jump in here and unconfuse me......

what do you mean by "lease"?...Ive heard of selling music, but never leasing.......

Sorry I took so long to reply. About leasing....

There are people that make beats and sell them in different ways.

1) I sell and give all rights to buyer. They can do what they want with it and the song is no longer mine.

2) I sell the right for the user to use the song as they like, but it still belongs to me.....A LEASE... They don't own it. I can let other's use it.

I hope I am not confusing anyone.

There are beat makers that sell and/or lease their beats. Just want to know when to use SR and when to use PA because both scenarios are true for me.

ok if you created it, Youll be okay with a SR on the beats.....I just dont know how they will handle it on their end for a lease......but at least your ass is covered:D

Back