Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How I built a large following on SoundCloud

Thanks

Cool How I built a large following on SoundCloud

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have three accounts total that I use. My main account is my musician account branded with the name, obviously. On this account I only follow the people that I want to… specifically for branding. I include links to my social media.

Popular SC Tracks

I make a list of all of the most popular songs that are similar to my music on soundcloud. The people who like these tracks are the same people who would like my account. I look for these tracks specifically.

Popular SC Users

In addition to the list of popular tracks... I make a list of the most popular users on SoundCloud that i'm trying to market similar to.

Promo Accounts

I have two accounts that I use strictly for promo. They are not branded or associated in any way to my main account. Both of these accounts follow the popular users from the list. I repost the popular tracks from the list on each of these accounts… each account with different tracks so they don't look the same. I try to find the absolute best avatar and header that i can possibly find for these. Look at popular photographers on instagram or photos on tumblr for help with this. I dump a few thousand fake followers on each of these promo accounts (the site that i use to pad my social media stats is 'deleted as possible spam' because i believe that they are the safest)... i'll tell you why i do this in a second. So both of these promo accounts now have a very nice avatar/header and nothing but the most popular music on their timeline.

Once I have the accounts looking pretty... (by biding by soundclouds rules) I start to follow the followers of the high profile users with the popular tracks that are posted on my page. I avoid following users with no username and no profiles. Because your account is filled with nothing but music that you know they will like, you have targeted avatar and header artwork, and you have thousands of followers... 90% of the people will follow you back. The max you can follow is 2000 so this is why i like to order a few thousand so that the following to follower ratio looks legit. This is key because you are building an account based on hype. All the best profile artwork, all the best tracks, and lots of followers. Then after a few days you can unfollow every single one of these people and most of them wont even notice and will continue to follow you. Then you repeat the whole process again and again until you have thousands and thousands of targeted followers for each of your promo accounts. It takes time but it won't take long before you see it working.

Over time you will build up thousands and thousands of extremely targeted followers. When you post a new track on your main account, you can repost this track to your promo accounts and this will build you targeted organic followers, likes, and comments on your main account. A little tip to really drive likes/comments/reposts into overdrive is to switch hit on your promo accounts. Repost it once a day on both accounts. When you repost it will place the track at the top of your promo account's timeline each and every time. Watch your followers and engagement go up!

Another thing.... to make it look like your promo accounts are unbiased, I like to repost at least one of the popular tracks in between each of my main account posts. I don't want my tracks to appear consecutively on the promo accounts.

Bandcamp

My main account is a premium account that i pay the $5 or whatever each month. Each time that I upload a new track on soundcloud, I also upload this track on bandcamp as well. I include a link for the bandcamp track in the soundcloud track using the custom text "FREE DOWNLOAD" as the download text in the soundcloud track. On bandcamp... I make it so that users can only download the track when they enter their email address. Bandcamp collects these email addresses for you and you can save them as a csv file. Whenever I have a new track out, I always send these users a bcc email blast and they all get an email notification to go to soundcloud to listen to the track. This is great to get early engagement in addition to the promo accounts tactic.

If you do this every day you start to build a real asset in your soundcloud account. I've done this 4 to 5 times with different artists and every time we build a targeted following and we drive lots and lots of engagement.
    Last edited by jimmys69; 01-07-2016 at 15:34. Reason: Possible spam

Thanks
    How much actual money do you make?

Thanks
    And...

---------- Update ----------

Don't worry, I don't actually care.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    How much actual money do you make?
    well this is more about building the soundcloud following.
    but lets just say that i do pretty good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brodel34 View Post
    well this is more about building the soundcloud following.
    but lets just say that i do pretty good.
    What good is a following if it doesn't equal money? I know "likes" feed egos, but they're mostly meaningless. How "pretty good" do you do? Do you do "pretty good" enough to not have a day job and make your entire living from soundcloud "fans"? Is it just a little extra side money? Or are you a promotion expert that makes money off of desperate poor actual musicians? Do you make money from your own music, or do you make money off of others? I'm genuinely asking.

Thanks
    What Greg says^^^ SC followers/listeners are other musicians. They just want you to 'follow' them back. Offering free downloads on bandcamp to people who have already downloaded free from you doesn't get you any money. And you're paying for fake 'followers', too?
    I get messages from 'followers' who are just "promotion experts" all the time.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    hello? i said i do pretty well. you would've thought i said i'm begging for food.

what makes you turn that into me not making any money? i sell plenty of music.

did you know: Most succesful artists give away their music in exchange for sales? It's called a single and it has been done since the beginning of time.

Thanks
    hello? i said i do pretty well. you would've thought i said i'm begging for food.

did you know: Most succesful artists give away their music in exchange for sales? It's called a single and it has been done since the beginning of time.
    You misread or misunderstood my questions. Try again.

Thanks

I think Greg was just basically asking a simple question, which is: Are you able to support yourself solely from your music, or is it just a supplemental income?
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Or possibly, "Seeing is believing." You didn't even include a link to any of your soundcloud pages...for people to see how "large" a following you have.

AFA "Pretty well" that's a fairly subjective thing. I would think $250 a month would be pretty well. Some may think $10 a year would be pretty well. Others might think you need to do a couple grand a week to make it "pretty well."

Some of your ideas are solid. Thanks for the information, but the vagueness of your words just doesn't cut it for me.
    Soundcloud Page
    I don't care about my ego, I care about my mixes--Just say what you mean.

Thread Information