Home Recording Studio Setup For Beginners – The Ultimate Essentials Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there guys.

I've written a guide of 4.500 words of how you can build your home studio without spending a fortune,
plus getting great results with plugins only.

Read Here & Download Here

Of course this is my personal view since I've written it and it's possible for more options to be correct, not only mine.
Please also read the conclusion in the end, it's important.

I wanted to write the most complete guide about home studio gear and I believe I just managed to do it.
I'm sure it will save you tons of money in your home recording journey.

Hope this helps, take care!

Last edited:
Oh, no. You really advocate turning the bass down on your studio monitors over corner treatment? Oh. I'm so sorry.

Oh, no. You really advocate turning the bass down on your studio monitors over corner treatment? Oh. I'm so sorry.

Hey Broken, might if you please point me to the text that as you mentioned (in a very ironic way I have to say)
that I typed I prefer turning bass down over corner treatment?

Because I re-read the monitors chapter and I can't really find exactly where I say that I prefer one than another, thanks

Your studio "essential" guide is OK....but, you also make some rather extreme matter-of-fact comments and draw conclusions simply because...you think them to be so, and because you've decided that some things are good enough.

You might want to make it more obvious that it's about what works for YOU...rather than as some guide that is absolute for anyone/everyone.

Amazon reviews about quality studio monitors...?
That's what you base your decisions on...are you serious...?

Maybe I misunderstood this statement:

I’d like to add something important: If your room is untreated and you feel like the bass is getting exaggerated by the reflections of your wall, then these monitors have a couple of switches on the back....

Just sayin' it sounds like if the room has too much bass, turn it down on the monitors...and vice-versa.

Also, not everyone will get by (even to start) with a 2 in 2 out interface without midi. Maybe you covered that in the how to shop for an interface part, but I must have missed it.

I don't want to say that your guide is crap. Far from it. There's some very good stuff there, but Amazon reviews and (for the most part) single options on interface, mike, etc. isn't very user friendly. Maybe making Miro's disclaimer about this being what works for you (although you reference that you use an RME and not a 2i2) would make it a lot more palatable.

Actually...the bass roll-off switches on some monitors can be helpful in at least allowing you to make some compensations if your room is not responding well to one setting.
There are some near-field monitors that have large speakers and can really output a lot of sub-lows accurately....but that may be too much for a small, untreated room. Flipping the bass switch from full-bandwidth something less, allows for a bit of "cheat"...but one always has to be careful to then not overcompensate for whatever was added/removed at the speakers.
Most also have high-end +/- switches.

It's a sort of "band-aid"...but it can be OK as long as you learn how to mix with it, because you will not be accurately hearing the full bandwidth, so it might cause you to over/under compensate in the lows or highs.

I've got both low and high switches, plus room position switches that you set based on how close/far you position them from the wall/corners. I leave my low/high switches in their "flat" setting...but I do set the position switch according to the recommendation on the back of the speaker.

Anyway...use them with caution and be aware of what they are doing to your mix perception.

You might want to make it more obvious that it's about what works for YOU...rather than as some guide that is absolute for anyone/everyone.

Isn't this obvious enough in the first post? :/

Of course this is my personal view since I've written it and it's possible for more options to be correct, not only mine.
Please also read the conclusion in the end, it's important.

And at the end of the pdf guide?

pT9L6my.png

Amazon reviews about quality studio monitors...?
That's what you base your decisions on...are you serious...?

Please read answer above :)

Firstly, you accuse me of saying that this works for me only, because I actually used them not because that is working for everyone.
Then you're asking me if I base my decisions on amazon reviews.

I really don't know how to respond to this because your questions cancel each other out.
But please check out the quote right above, for a full answer.

Of course it's because I decided that some things are good, why should I recommend them in the first place if I didn't believe they were good?
And of course the whole post is based on my personal experience with them.

When someone is writing a post isn't it absolutely logical that the writer's post would be based upon his personal trial and error?
Do I really need to mention this (which I did twice) ? Of course this is working for me and since I was happy and after lots of personal trial, errors and tests I came to some conclusions.

My personal conclusions though were not enough I needed to confirm that my conclusions were right before I could publish such a post.
So I started checking out ideas, reviews and personal opinions of other people - it would be really silly of me to not confirm that many others agreed with the gear. (amazon reviews were just a small percent of the final decision maker)

P.S: Can you please read the whole article before commenting something negative or positive, because it's really no use to discuss something that has been said in the article.
I really can't believe how some people are bored to read it all, but absolutely not bored to draw some conclusions and start typing.

I appreciate your input, but you really insult me making me saying things, when you clearly didn't offer 10 minutes of your time to actually read.

Maybe I misunderstood this statement:

I’d like to add something important: If your room is untreated and you feel like the bass is getting exaggerated by the reflections of your wall, then these monitors have a couple of switches on the back....

Just sayin' it sounds like if the room has too much bass, turn it down on the monitors...and vice-versa.

Hey, this does not state I prefer one than another. This is an article about studio gear with the best price to value ratio.
The monitors - for their price range - not only have fantastic sound, but also give you options to calibrate the monitors in case your room is untreated.

That was my aim.

But maybe you are right, I guess I should change it, does it really give the feeling that I prefer one over the other?

If many people agree, I ll go change it right now, I want this guide to be as informative as possible and not to confuse the reader.

Thanks for pointing this out :)

You lost me with: "I dont want to transform this guide to a "Analog VS Digital" topic"

and immediately backed it up with: ...and sooner or later some of the analog fanatics will come and spread some inaccuracies and I want to get rid of that"

You lost me with: "I dont want to transform this guide to a "Analog VS Digital" topic"

and immediately backed it up with: ...and sooner or later some of the analog fanatics will come and spread some inaccuracies and I want to get rid of that"

I implied that there are some analog fanatics out there, that spend inaccuracies like that you can't achieve a commercial sounding track without owning analog mixing gear, and also
said that this purpose of the post is not to talk about analog vs digital gear, so I'd prefer to get back to the topic.

It was pretty clear I think. That was all.

...you clearly didn't offer 10 minutes of your time to actually read.

Yes, I read the whole thing....and it only took 5 minutes.
While you say it's about your opinion at the start...you do tend to make some rather absolute comments, implying there's no reason for anyone to look further than your guide.

And yes....it was kinda funny that for monitors, your opinion about what was the "best" above anything else...was based on Amazon reviews....really?

Like I said...the guide was OK for a beginner to get some sense of what might be needed, but the tone is a bit too absolute.

And yeah...I agree with mdainsd...the comments about analog only shows you are maybe more biased than the so-called analog fanatics. :D
Just out of curiosity, how much analog gear recording background do you have, and at what level... since you brushed it aside so easily and quickly in your guide?
Oh...and I have no desire to make it this VS that....I'm totally on board with digital, but I do still have a my hand in analog quite a lot, so I really do have less bias than anyone who is purely in one camp or the other.

You lost me when you implied the JBL monitors were BETTER FOR MIXING than Genelecs--apparently mainly based on Amazon reviews. They may be fine monitors for the money (I've never heard them) but if they're better than $2000 Genelecs I'll eat my hat.

Similarly, your bit on using the boost and cut switches on the speakers instead of proper room treatment DOES imply that this is okay, rather than a stopgap solution until you can do the proper treatment.

There's some stuff there that might be useful to newbies but far too much opinion (and dodgy opinion at that) masquerading as fact.

Sorry. I'm not impressed.

1) Yes, I read the whole thing....and it only took 5 minutes.

2) And yes....it was kinda funny that for monitors, your opinion about what was the "best" above anything else...was based on Amazon reviews....really?

3) Like I said...the guide was OK for a beginner to get some sense of what might be needed, but the tone is a bit too absolute.

4) And yeah...I agree with mdainsd...the comments about analog only shows you are maybe more biased than the so-called analog fanatics. :D
Just out of curiosity, how much analog gear recording background do you have, and at what level... since you brushed it aside so easily and quickly in your guide?
Oh...and I have no desire to make it this VS that....I'm totally on board with digital, but I do still have a my hand in analog quite a lot, so I really do have less bias than anyone who is purely in one camp or the other.

1) 4.5k words in 5 minutes? Either you're a really fast reader or you just "scanned it" in 5 minutes which made you miss lots of points, such as in number 2 below. 4.500 words in 5 minutes are not to be taken seriously.

2) If you really actually read it, I mentioned about 3-4 times in the post that I bought them and i own them and it's not just based on amazon reviews.
Do you still believe that you actually read and understood what you read in 5 minutes? Are you going to say really again? really?

Cause I have already answered you about amazon here . If you can't read 4.5k words, at least read my reply.
You asked for it, you made me answer and you're still asking the same thing. Stop being rude.

Don't ask if you're not going to pay attention to someone that wasted his time to have a conversation with you. That's manners 101.

3) That's the beauty of freedom of speech and personalities, including some confidence mainly acquired by the evidence of actually testing out the gear. I would never post something that it's not real. Sorry if my personality offended you, but that's the beauty of bloggers. I might have a bit more of an "absolute" energy, but it's cause I spent months creating this post. Not writing it. Testing out stuff. I say it again just in case you miss some points again.

4) I was hybrid 2-3 months ago, now I am full ITB and never looking back. I was about to tell you, either way you won't believe me or either you won't take the time to read it and ask me again, so nah. I ll waste more energy on someone that actually focus on reading before being controversial just for the sake of it.

You lost me when you implied the JBL monitors were BETTER FOR MIXING than Genelecs--apparently mainly based on Amazon reviews. They may be fine monitors for the money (I've never heard them) but if they're better than $2000 Genelecs I'll eat my hat.

Similarly, your bit on using the boost and cut switches on the speakers instead of proper room treatment DOES imply that this is okay, rather than a stopgap solution until you can do the proper treatment.

There's some stuff there that might be useful to newbies but far too much opinion (and dodgy opinion at that) masquerading as fact.

Sorry. I'm not impressed.

Hey thanks for replying.

It depends on what genelecs we're talking about. Not all genelecs are the same.
The ones I had were way to hyped like they were hi-fi speakers (i ll try to find the box and mention the model).

About the amazon thing I've replied a couple of times, please read above.

About the proper treatment, please check this response of mine, I'd really like to have your opinions in this one :)

It's ok if you're not impressed. Everything is accepted of course. thanks

1) 4.5k words in 5 minutes? Either you're a really fast reader or you just "scanned it" in 5 minutes which made you miss lots of points

I scanned and skipped the fluff...so yeah, the rest took only 5 minutes.
And yes, really....amazon reviews as a way to prove you have the "best" monitors...and no others to even consider.
Really...?

I take no offense in anything you wrote...but you seem to take offense comments that disagree with you.
If you're going to post up guides and run blogs for public consumption about your audio knowledge and experience...
...get some skin dude. :)

Also...why do you have "free" all over you site...but the links for subscription are connected to this site:

Email Marketing Software & Email Marketing Newsletters from AWeber

They use people's emails to market shit....and you collect people's emails.

I scanned and skipped the fluff...so yeah, the rest took only 5 minutes.
And yes, really....amazon reviews as a way to prove you have the "best" monitors...and no others to even consider.
Really...?

I take no offense in anything you wrote...but you seem to take offense everything anyone says that disagrees with you.
If you're going to post up guides and run blogs for public consumption about your audio knowledge and experience...
...get some skin dude. :)

Also...why do you have "free" all over you site...but the links for subscription are connected to this site:

Email Marketing Software & Email Marketing Newsletters from AWeber

They use people's emails to market shit....and you collect people's emails.

I'm not going to respond to the same things over again, your response was enough for me, so I will respond about aweber which is new.

Someone that wants to follow me and gets notified each time I publish something, I must abide by law to confirm his email.
I don't really know how to set up a system to confirm emails, that was way to much work for me, so I am paying a system that does this for me and keeps everything nice and tidy.

Also, you're wrong, here's proof that someone was against me and i didn't take it as offence. Let me guess... You didn't take the time to read, right.
He respected me, I did the same, both we're happy. The only problem I have is you and your attitude, so excuse me if I won't reply to the same questions.

Yes I market my lessons. They subscribe to me, it's like the facebook like thing but via email to get my lessons.
I am not putting a gun to their head to subscribe, and by law, i need to add an un-subscription link in each and every email (1 more thing that aweber helps since I am not tech-savvy)

See? At least I pay attention to your responses and answer all your questions including totally unrelated to the subject. Hope I answered everything :)

He told you that you were wrong on some points, and that he wasn't impressed.

Since I already pointed out that you are wrong about some things...I'll just end by saying I wasn't impressed either.

I'm not going to respond to the same things over again, so I will respond about aweber which is new.

Someone that wants to follow me and gets notified each time I publish something, I must abide by law to confirm his email.
I don't really know how to set up a system to confirm emails, that was way to much work for me, so I am paying a system that does this for me and keeps everything nice and tidy.

Also, you're wrong, here's proof that someone was against me and i didn't take it as offence. Let me guess... You didn't take the time to read, right.
He respected me, I did the same, both we're happy. The only problem I have is you and your attitude, so excuse me if I won't reply to the same questions.

At least I pay attention to your responses and not being rude :)

So let me understand... if you don't have "enough" RAM, your computer's going to make a rational decision about which velocity samples to load... rather than try to load them all, and as a result be very slow, cranky and unreliable? I'm interested... where did you get this from? Nice functionality if it exists...

Also nice to learn that direct monitoring is unique to the Focusrite 2i2... I thought my RME box had it too, but I must be mistaken..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back