Home Recording Studio Setup For Beginners – The Ultimate Essentials Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey sparky, perhaps you missed the part where this guide was free. Geez people. I've only glanced though this and don't have strong opinions either way but some of you sure seem hell bent on knocking it down. If you think you can make a better one, we'll hold our breath waiting for it.

Sorry Pasch. I warned you.

Your opinions are presented as fact. That is not something that is going to be taken well by others who have different experiences.

I won't waste time pointing out what I feel are flaws in your blog, but it is not presented well and the information is skewed to what your experience has been.

I would absolutely never make this a sticky because of the opinionated/limited scope. Good as an opinion, poor in content and accuracy.

Oh yeah, 'in my opinion'.

Plus I would hope that someone wishing to help others would spend some time listening.

Arguing with people that had different experience and/or critiquing your post is just stupid.

If you wish to teach, then spend time learning....

That is all I have to say.

Sorry, I moved it out of newbie forum because I just don't feel this is good here.

Last edited:
Hey jimmy please don't say sorry for something, you're the mod, if you believe something it needs to be done then so be it.

But I 've always been controversial especially when I see inaccuracies and I am really here not about my image, if I've got to say something I gotta say it.

I would continue my reply to you under joey's 2000, so If you wish to read I'd be happy.

So let me understand... if you don't have "enough" RAM, your computer's going to make a rational decision about which velocity samples to load... rather than try to load them all, and as a result be very slow, cranky and unreliable? I'm interested... where did you get this from? Nice functionality if it exists...

Also nice to learn that direct monitoring is unique to the Focusrite 2i2... I thought my RME box had it too, but I must be mistaken..

The kontakt libraries don't load at all or you're forced to install less velocities. It's good to focus on cpu and ram. I never said something about computers making decisions.

Unique for the price range of $150, I didn't find any other audio interface having this feature for this price range (this is a guide for beginners to get the best price to value ratio with low budget stuff, an RME is not cheap).

Hey sparky, perhaps you missed the part where this guide was free. Geez people. I've only glanced though this and don't have strong opinions either way but some of you sure seem hell bent on knocking it down. If you think you can make a better one, we'll hold our breath waiting for it.

@joey and @jimmy

Jimmy you said something about: Plus I would hope that someone wishing to help others would spend some time listening.

What exactly can I listen, because I saw no response that actually wishes to help, but rather say "you're shit that's all bye bye".

I actually got a couple of responses, I respected it, I agreed that I might be wrong there and asked here what's wrong, and here about the monitors.
Guess what. I got no answer to my questions.

I said from the start that I am open to editing the guide, I am open to listening. But do you know what I got instead Jimmy? This and this.
Irrelevant comments about analog vs digital stuff, analog vs digital questions and attempts to make me feel that my purpose is not to help and I am not using analog gear.

I heard them, Jimmy and still waiting for them to teach something, I am so open to listening that instead of ignoring them I went and answered everything while
7 out of the posts were to a single member , telling him to stop being rude and actually read the thread. For the first 3-4 replies he said that he actually read it and when
we managed to reach 10 posts of attempts to show him that he is not helping by not reading, he simply said in his last comment: I scanned and skipped the fluff. While we spent
the 80% of the post count here telling me that he actually paid attention to it, that was his last comment... that he actually didn't.

I could just ignore him but instead continue replying to him trying to actually see that I was right that he's ignoring, and he's not helping, instead I got replies like
"how long analog gear" "why do you have subscribers". He quoted stuff he wanted to quote and to the time I spent answering him, he simply ignored and said "i disagree bb".

I am still here to listen Jimmy, but listen to what? Cause I can't hear something valuable except than "you are wrong". A couple of members actually did gave valuable information though,
and when I asked them how I can correct, they simply vanished. That's the guys I should learn from? That's the guys that they care about others? If they actually cared they would try to modify
the guide, since I am open to it. But instead they say they're better and leave.

If someone that's not listening is not me Jimmy sorry. I am still here and replying with sense - but I guess nowadays in forums if someone disagrees with sense and proof-based opinions
then he magically transforms into a defensive guy that's not listening.

This situation reminded me of when someone defended me saying this and I believe I cannot find a best answer for their replies.
(this was posted on a post that the title was "How to EQ and Compress Snare Tracks" - which had some basic frequency ranges and compression stuff used as a starting point).
Instead people came bashing of why I did not say anything about Phase Alignment. Cause I talked about phase alignment on another post, but he had to find something to shit on.

I suppose this pretty much sums it up here too - response from a random redditor:

u8KxlX3.png

But still, no matter the helpless posts I found what might be wrong with my posts. I am used to write in a more personal way primarily speaking
to my subscribers . These are people that actually listened to my mixing work and have decided if they want to follow me or not, plus
they have read past posts too and they know exactly every single of thought of mine.

For example, if i don't say something about phase they know it's been covered somewhere else. But not everybody follows the blog and of course
not everyone is used to my past posts and to the subjects that have been covered in the past. So yeah, I really need to fix that when I am publishing post out of my subscriber list
Or I can create 2 versions. One of the people that follow me and one for complete strangers so they won't get mislead information.

See Jimmy, I am open, even though they shit on everything , left a post and then left, I am still trying to improve myself. If someone's is not listening (or reading) is definitely not me.
And about being defensive, sorry that's not true. Denying some shit written from people that are too sassy to make fun of you and your time, that's not being defensive that's just denying shit.

Till then, as joey2000 said, since they care so much about newbies getting inaccuracies i am waiting for their own home recording list with the best price to value ratio aim.
But this will never happen taking into consideration that they can't provide value but instead ironic replies mentioning how better they are and then vanish.

Unique for the price range of $150, I didn't find any other audio interface having this feature for this price range (this is a guide for beginners to get the best price to value ratio with low budget stuff, an RME is not cheap).

No, the Steniberg UR22, the Tascam US1200, Presonus Audiobox, M-Audio Mtrack 2, mackie Onyx and others all offer direct monitoring. You might not have realized because not all use a front-mounted knob to control it (it's often in the device software).

No, the Steniberg UR22, the Tascam US1200, Presonus Audiobox, M-Audio Mtrack 2, mackie Onyx and others all offer direct monitoring. You might not have realized because not all use a front-mounted knob to control it (it's often in the device software).

Yeap, flaw detected.
English is not my first language so I wanted to say something along the lines that for the current price offering a knob that makes your life easier (along with the other great features too) is unique.
I saw no other interface in the price range that offered direct monitoring, as easy to reach as this.

That's a helpful comment. Thanks man, I wrote it down to change it. If you find something else let me know so I can edit it, cheers!

:laughings:

Another train-wreck starring Pachiallis. :D

(I knew I was right about this guy.);)

This is great entertainment.

Paschi, me thinks thou doth prosteth too mucheth. :laughings:

Carry on......I'll drop by again in a few weeks. I'm sure this thread will still be going strong. :D

Last edited:

Yeap, flaw detected.
English is not my first language so I wanted to say something along the lines that for the current price offering a knob that makes your life easier (along with the other great features too) is unique.
I saw no other interface in the price range that offered direct monitoring, as easy to reach as this.

That's a helpful comment. Thanks man, I wrote it down to change it. If you find something else let me know so I can edit it, cheers!

I changed the text to:

and other sound cards, in the same price range, while they have this feature is mostly found in the software. Having a knob for easier workflow is a plus.

How's that sounding? Better? It will take a while to change the pdf as it needs conversion :)

2nd text changed to:

You can also check out the Amazon Reviews: 4.9 out of 5 stars. We should not rely solely on amazon reviews though, because as mentioned, we should always actually use something to create an impression. Amazon reviews and hundreds of home recording enthusiasts praising these monitors in forums and blogs though, is a huge plus.

Thanks!

Another train-wreck starring Pachiallis. :D

(I knew I was right about this guy.);)

This is great entertainment.

Paschi, me thinks thou doth prosteth too mucheth. :laughings:

Carry on......I'll drop by again in a few weeks. I'm sure this thread will still be going strong. :D

2fph5f2.png

Did you really spend 30 minutes of your time to try to make me go mad? Are you really trying that hard? What kind of person are you by receiving that kind of joy by trying to make someone go mad?

I told you that I can't go mad with you here man. Or maybe this reply of the mod hurt you so much that you couldn't reply before they locked it, so you're following me everywhere?
I didn't have a wife and now I gained one, go away.

And jesus stop editing your posts, you said something about "When you will learn that I when I call someone out I am always right? Another one that is going out of the forum cause I was right!!" Why did you change it?

Were you thinking in these 30 minutes of all the possible replies I would give you (or a mod would give you) and tried to save your @ss before anyone actually someone could saw your post? Or maybe you just realized
that the forum is really a monarchy, mainly because people that don't reply back possibly facepalm with you, but they also know that they're going to get replies from a team of 10 people that know each other after all these years and sooner or later they're going to get bashed. So they prefer to stay in the shadows rather than creating accounts, and if they do create an account they never speak cause they know where they'll get to. Check out the new/old members posting ratio and you ll know what I mean. But don't worry I am not going to step back and it's really hard for me to get mad from a guy like you that your recordings scream "home". And since you enjoy it so much that's an extra reason I am going to stay here, to entertain you, I love entertaining people, even old people that think that because they're older they're smarter and know more than everyone. As long as I won't get banned though, then you might miss me. I prefer to get banned than to not say my opinion though, especially from people like you.

If you really care that much trying to make me feel bad, that you spend more than 30min of your life calculating your post, then here's a tip for you: There's a preview button that does the same things without making you seem obvious that you care so much. I am not going to reply to a post of your in this thread again. You're not worth it.

^^^^^I stopped reading all that drivel after about one paragraph.^^^^^

HAHAHA! Dude, it took me about 40 seconds type my post and about another 30 seconds to edit it. I edited it because I wanted to keep it concise.

You, on the other hand, are so insecure and defensive that you write a 20 paragraph response. YOU are the one that takes 30 minutes to type a post.

By the way, I never read your long-winded response from the other thread that you linked to. I couldn't be bothered.

And you just put your foot in your mouth...AGAIN.....that response from the mod wasn't calling me a dick. He was answering my question about what it is YOU said that I didn't read. YOU called me a dick, and you also admitted that you "attacked" me (Your words, not mine). So stop pretending you're an innocent bystander here. You've already admitted that you attack people and you've done your share of name-calling.

Oh, and also by the way, you responded to me 10 minutes after I posted. Do you spend all your time here????Don't you have a life????? (Inside joke, for the rest of you that don't know why I said that)

This is great. Keep it coming. :D

Last edited:
I can sense a meltdown coming on strong. :laughings: (Time of the month)

Yup. I'm lovin' it! :D

One of the reasons I'm so hard on this guy is because, unlike most of us who are who here teach, learn, joke around, etc.....This guy pretends to be some kind of guru when he's nowhere near qualified to pretend he's anything near that.

He came in to a thread a few weeks ago claiming that everyone who says to put a "Maximiser" on their mix is a beginner, and then 3 days later told someone that was asking how to get volume on his mixes that he "needs to put a maximiser on his mix". Complete contradiction after insulting everyone that answered the same thing in the other thread.

Can I get a witness on this, please, because I know others saw that and responded to me about it privately. sometimes, I wish people would be more public, rather than "congratulating" me in private and not saying anything in public, but I guess I respect their decision to be like that.

So, if I come off like a prick sometimes, so be it. SOMEBODY has to call out the phonies, to help the newbies not go down the wrong path listening to the wrong "advice".

You can have your train-wreck back now, Paschi. Don't bother writing another book because I never read your long-winded, insecure, defensive drivel anyway.

Last edited:
Yup. I'm lovin' it! :D

One of the reasons I'm so hard on this guy is because, unlike most of us who are who here teach, learn, joke around, etc.....This guy pretends to be some kind of guru when he's nowhere near qualified to pretend he's anything near that.

He came in to a thread a few weeks ago claiming that everyone who says to put a "Maximiser" on their mix is a beginner, and then 3 days later told someone that was asking how to get volume on his mixes that he "needs to put a maximiser on his mix". Complete contradiction after insulting everyone that answered the same thing in the other thread.

Can I get a witness on this, please, because I know others saw that and responded to me about it privately. sometimes, I wish people would be more public, rather than "congratulating" me in private and not saying anything in public, but I guess I respect their decision to be like that.

So, if I come off like a prick sometimes, so be it. SOMEBODY has to call out the phonies, to help the newbies not go down the wrong path listening to the wrong "advice".

You can have your train-wreck back now, Paschi. Don't bother writing another book because I never read your long-winded, insecure, defensive drivel anyway.

I don't need to write a long post in this one, cause I can clearly see you're lying. You would be the great man for raising a propaganda.

It was the exact opposite I said that he must not just put a maximizer but deal with things during mixing.

You were the one that said "the simple answer is with a limiter on the mastering" and someone else confirmed that you were spreading false knowledge and
i was the one that saying the exact opposite, mixing > mastering, while you said "just put a limiter there". Proof here on your quote too.

I don't need to write long response here, I leave real proof speak for me. Either wear glasses or stop spreading propaganda by changing the reality to gain "claps".
I said I wouldnt reply but I never let someone creating a false image for someone based on your imaginations. Maybe you're the one that must cut the drugs rami?

Changing the reality is one of the lowest things someone can do. Stop embarrassing yourself. I write long posts cause of the proof I actually put in.
But your brain can't comprehend more than 2-3 basic ironic words, as it seems. It's getting tired way too quickly.

You might be 50+ years old but your brain stack at 8, with the "no he started it first" mindset. Your responses that try way too hard to piss me off with :D icons and the fact you simply ignore the responses
that were mainly written for you, shows how small your maturity is and how huge your ego has become that makes you think you're so great to spend your time reading my responses, yet still spending more
time and energy to create the perfect plan and try to make me go mad. You could not drive me mad and you used lies to achieve it, yet failed again. I pity you.

Anyway, take care. Hope your narrow mind will brighten some day. Don't make me reply again to you.

Last edited:
Are you just trying to pretend to be this stupid, or are you a psychopathic liar?

I said "3 days later you said the exact same thing". Why did you leave that part out?

I'm talking about another thread you responded to a few days later. You gave the exact same advice everyone else gave in the thread where you called everyone a "beginner".

The EXACT same advice. You told him that you get volume on your mix by using a maximizer. Yes, I know that you then said that it's not about volume, blah blah blah...but the fact is, you said the exact same thing the rest of us were saying when you called us all "beginners" for answering his question about how to make a mix louder.

Here's the thread. What did you say about using a "Maximizer" in response #4, you liar:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...-mixing-please-378906/?highlight=#post4299660

Paschi the Phony said:
When done, you'll give loudness on the master track by adding a maximizer.

Ok, now I'm out. I've wasted enough time on this incompetent phony who is not qualified to pretend he knows as much as he pretends to know.

Ok, now I'm out. I've wasted enough time on this incompetent phony who is not qualified to pretend he knows as much as he pretends to know.

Let the newbies decide who's best at audio engineering and production by judging at our productions. Not me, neither you can decide.

Aw and by the way, because I am sick and tired seeing you dodging by changing subject when replying,
since you have mentioned so many times in this forum, about how many people are congratulating you via PM, check this out:

wPmqkV9.png

I cut out the names for the logical reasons.
I can easily post more like these, if it helps you get off your high horse some day?

Stop saying how great you are and how members are congratulating you.
You're here from 2004 with 16.000 posts, the bond (or conspiracy) with some members here that you created can be seen from thousand miles away.
Even if you said that you can fly, your best friends would say "yeah i agree with you rami you can fly!! here's some rep cause we can". It's pure logic.

The real deal is when you go against an oligarchy and still break the conservative mind-wolves that have gathered in sides here.
Feel free to ban me after this. I am happy i stand firm against the authorities.

Just because you've got post count does not make you right. And you said before that you are always driving out members, cause you are always right?
Isn't a bit too weird for everyone to be wrong and you are always the right person?

You might have the satisfaction that they reason they stopped posting was because "you were right" and because you "drove them off", but I assure you
they just got sick and tired for your close-minded attitude. They are laughing and facepalming without posting cause they know they can't change old-conservative, I know it all minds like yours.

But you were right about one thing though. You really do drive people out of the forum. But trust me it's not because you made them feel like they were defeated.
And someday I will leave this forum too when I get bored, but trust me it won't be because I felt defeated too. Check out the stats of this forum and you'll find the real answer. But you're too old to change mind and too narrow-minded to understand.

Now I am really out of this topic.

P.S: Your productions scream "home recording". Might if you reduce your post count a bit and actually start practicing? Or maybe you think I spread false advice cause you believe you're still in 2004, the date you joined.

Dude...posting your Rep comments as some vindication or approval rating around here, is even worse than posting Amazon reviews as your main source for decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back