Have demo ready before gigs or not?

jsteele

I want to write and perform only my own music. I want nothing to do with cover tunes. I can play a large number of other artists music, but only for myself. But anyways, do i have a demo ready for shows, or perform while its in the works. Im fliping a coin. Thoughts?

That's a 50/50. If you have gig's lined up and are able to get them wothout a demo it is always good to play in front of crowds with new material as a singer/songwriter. It gives you a good meter to judge how people like your music. You can see what songs people really like and which ones may need a little rework to grab attention. If you wait to do your demo you might find yourself letting the audience pick what they see as your best songs. (Usually a good thing)
OR...
Sometimes you just can't get a gig without the club hearing a demo first. In that case a demo is a must. You might want to do a three song demo for booking purposes and then later go back and do a full album length demo when you have what you feel is your best material.
Hope this helps even if it isn't a solid answer.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jsteele:
do i have a demo ready for shows, or perform while its in the works. Im fliping a coin. Thoughts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can convince the club owner that you're going to bring in a crowd, you should be able to get the gig without a demo of your music. Clubs are in the buisness of selling beer and have very little to do with music.

Just be honest with the guy booking the shows. Tell him your job is to help sell beer and what you're going to do to make that happen.

dave @ kathode ray
www.indiebiz.com

Email biz101@kathoderaymusic.com for a free music promotion course.

funny story here...

I was in a band that broke up. Afterwards, I did one of the coffeeshows that had been booked solo. The guy who ran the place was really nervous (could I do it? Am I any good solo?) - I pulled it off, but found without anything to sell that sounded like me now, that there wasn't much followup besides a mailing list.

I'd say get something together, if even to give away for a buck or two. Something that'll keep you in people's memory

RB

Jsteele
If your bookin the jobs yourself a demo might help. But in most clubs and bars it dosent matter,selling the booze is where its at.Gettin your foot in the door is the first step, a good line of bull shit is worth its weight in gold.The club and bar owners usually dictate what music format they want anyway.

Don't even mention your own music! just sneak in one of your sets. If people like your music they'll start asking about it.
If the crowd wants to hear your music well! they buy the booze.

I was stubborn when I was young wanted to play my music and only mine.
Lost out on alot of gigs but i learned to bend and blend in. Ide sneak my tunes in the sets some were good, some so so, never got a record contract But I had a lot of fun and made some extra money.

OH did I mention the Ladies!!!!!!!!!

jimimac

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimimac:
Don't even mention your own music! just sneak in one of your sets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or, you could just tell him they're cover songs. I knew a band that had some really vulgar song titles, but would give club owners set lists and say they were by well known bands.

Bottom line, if you're cool to work with and can bring in some people, you'll be in good shape.

dave @ kathode ray
www.indiebiz.com

Email biz101@kathoderaymusic.com for a free music promotion course.

Back