Had a little writer's block...

You would probably get a better response in the writer's forum on this site. However, I will address your question.

My best solution for overcoming "writer's block" - is to keep writing. Writing is a skill and like any skill, you have to work at it constantly to improve. The more I write, the better I get - and the faster I work through any "block". Even if I'm writing crap - the process goes on and soon, I'll find a good hook or a clever phrase to build from.

I play several instruments - although I mostly write on guitar. If the muse does not approach me on guitar, I switch to keys, or pick up a bass, or piddle around on my lap steel or pedal steel. I may even pick up my banjo or hack away on a violin - or maybe I'll take my harmonica out. Or I'll sit down at the drums and try to come up with some different grooves. Normally - as long as I am making noise with some type of instrument in my hands - there is a better chance for the muse to find me.

If that doesn't work, I'll pull out an older song I wrote and see if I can re-write it, or come up with a different arrangement - just to get the jiuces flowing.

If that doesn't work, I'll put on a CD or pull out a song book and try to learn a new song by another artist - perhaps the chord progression or melody will inspire me ......... at worse, I learn a new cover song.

Some people would suggest getting away form the instrument, watch TV, read a book, go to the mall and people watch - those all can be ways to find inspiration for a song.

Back