Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting permission to use a copyrighted song?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
    Again thanks.

Actually it's kinda funny that I'm messing w/this, the odds of it coming up are pretty close to zero. But again I'd rather do things "proper" here.
    Frankly for the amount you are likely to distribute, I would say "don't bother". I also like to do things *right*, but sometimes you have to just use your best judgment in deciding if what you're doing is trying to get over or just not worth the hassle. I never did anything special with that album with the cover song on it. In hindsight it all worked out, only sold a handful.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thanks
    Yeah I hear you - and it would seem very worst case is that if it somehow came up, you'd likely just owe a % of sales, which were minimal anyway.

Thanks
    In most cases with small fish like us, we're not worth anything to publishers and record labels. They're more concerned with other signed artists.

It's only the RIAA and MPAA who want granny in jail.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thanks
    lol. True. I haven't heard anything since they busted some young girl for using "Happy Birthday" or something equally silly back when.

Thanks
    lol. True. I haven't heard anything since they busted some young girl for using "Happy Birthday" or something equally silly back when.
    The bad publicity has them shifting strategies. Now they setup bait torrents and send nastigrams to people's internet service providers. If they can't make you stop financially, they'll just turn off your internet with no judge/jury/need to submit proof. Paypal does the same thing, they take money out of seller accounts all the time because buyers make claims (often false), acting as judge and jury in a legal matter well outside their jurisdiction. Someday someone's going to take them to court and that will be the end of that. Could even be a civil rights issue since you're being denied due process (maybe someone more schooled in legality could confirm that hunch).
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thanks
    PRS in the UK are about top take legal action against Soundcloud - for illegal streaming of copyright music. Things are certainly hotting up here!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    The bad publicity has them shifting strategies. Now they setup bait torrents and send nastigrams to people's internet service providers. If they can't make you stop financially, they'll just turn off your internet with no judge/jury/need to submit proof.
    ? Nobody but my ISP can turn off my internet, and I seriously doubt they would do that w/o contacting me and trying to resolve as they don't want to lose business.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    PRS in the UK are about top take legal action against Soundcloud - for illegal streaming of copyright music. Things are certainly hotting up here!
    If they deal with it as quickly and efficiently as they deal with royalty payments, I wouldn't worry.
    If, however, they deal with it as quickly and efficiently as they do getting licence payments from small establishments and people whistling while they work, it's probably happened already.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    So should I take this to mean that if I do a version of some old blues tune, and put it up online with no intention of making money with it - allowing free download (as if anyone would be interested) I am violating absolutely nothing?

Thanks
    ? Nobody but my ISP can turn off my internet, and I seriously doubt they would do that w/o contacting me and trying to resolve as they don't want to lose business.
    I speak from personal experience. A few months ago my GF wanted to see the last season of some show. I dl'd it, then a few weeks later got a notice, then suddenly days later our internet service stopped working. Called, they forwarded us to some department at Time Warner that handles these things and they turned it back on.

I used to download A LOT of stuff, and this had been the only thing in months. It seems I dl'd from a bait torrent the show's distribution company put up, then reported the IPs that downloaded it to the respective ISPs. The laws governing when a customer's service can be shutdown have changed in recent years, this is legal. Having not had this happen to me in the past, I did do some homework and found info online verifying this is their new tactic.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thread Information