Do you think we will ever reach the end?

tjohnston

I mean mathmatically music is limited. There are only a certain number of rythem and tone combinations. Everything thay you play has been played before in some form or another. Music is just a repeat of something else, just altered a little bit. I think we are running out of ideas. That why techno music was invented. Lately music has been getting poorer and poorer. For instance the hard rock metal stuff. Guitarist no longer play guitar. In heavy music the guitar is just an overly distorted percussion instrament.
Will we ever get to a point when we say "well thats it; we cant think of anything else."

I have came to the realization that its all been done. We have come to that point now for about 5 years or so..... Thats just IMHO. Even lyrics wise its all been done and done. I used to be a good lyrisist. Now I suck cause yup its all been said........
Im depressed. I want to sell my shit again. I havent played or recorded much lately. Im trying to find a point.
Myx

shame on you all!

are you giving up? there is always something new and unique and inventive to find and to create out there. maybe not you, maybe not me, but somebody somewhere will unleash something from another world and the cycle will begin again. and then in 100 years from now some people will be talking about this same subject.

art is exploration and there is always something to find.

theres alaways a new subject that you can write just think of things that werent ever written in a song before. i mean how many times have you heard a song about a mole on someone's head. or how ugly some chick looks at a bar or club. put a distorted flute on it and you have a new genre

Viva La Me

"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
never make a pretty woman your wife
This is my personal point of view
get an ugly girl to marry you"

"now her hair is so shiny, and her eyes are so clear
she's getting better, every beer"

Okay, it's all been done. I'm not sure about the mole thing, but I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you would find it.

So what? It's your slant on the situation. No matter what. Write now or forever hold your peace.

I think as individuals we can actually reach the end as we perceve it... If you don't look at it as a whole of music, I think certain artists can use up all thier combinations and lyrics...

... George Thorogood comes to mind.....

- Tanlith -

Gosh, there are only twenty-six letters... has the English language reached its end? I mean, there are only so many words, right?

;)

that's the great thing about music and pop culture......even if it's all been done, the newest generation won't care about the past, and thus they do it all again

AlChuck said:
Gosh, there are only twenty-six letters... has the English language reached its end? I mean, there are only so many words, right?

;)

By damn, AlChuck.......I think you're onto something here! Geezis, there's only 12 semitones in a octave!!!!! We're DOOMED!

bd :D

just do something, anything different.,

come up with insane guitar or synth tunings (sonic youth) or use different time signatures or whatever. just make music, don't worry about "the end" because as long as you are making music then obviously it is not the end.

and if you feel like you are stuck in an artistic rut, then experiment, try something you'd never do before, such as one of the aforementioned explorations. those two alone can open a whole universe of different material.

bdbdbuck said:
By damn, AlChuck.......I think you're onto something here! Geezis, there's only 12 semitones in a octave!!!!! We're DOOMED!

bd :D

and um 24 quarter tones

and if you come from a musical tradition that uses the "comma" -- a tone is divided into 9 equal parts ...

chew on that

also think about rhythms like
5/4, 7/8, 11/8 etc

in india they have scales that consist of 24 notes. I think they are called subtones. For instance between F and F# there would be a few notes that we americans really cant hear. I think there just bullshitting us though.

Layla Nahar said:
and um 24 quarter tones

and if you come from a musical tradition that uses the "comma" -- a tone is divided into 9 equal parts ...

chew on that

also think about rhythms like
5/4, 7/8, 11/8 etc

Yep....Doomed I say!

bd

Where's my Boston Whaler song? :D

. For instance between F and F# there would be a few notes that we americans really cant hear. I think there just bullshitting us though.

Who's bullshitting us?

Anyone can hear the pitches you described, they would just sound like out-of-tune notes to someone expecting a Western diatonic scale.

Then again, American music has lots of examples of microtones -- blues bends and bottleneck playing, to cite the most notable examples.

There is a book recently out in paperback called Temperament (I think) about the creation of the tempered piano keyboard and the evolution of the western scale in to the current half-tone based scale. Seems we used to used a microtonal (as opposed to quarter-tonal!) scale, just like old Pythagoras wanted. Microtonal scales can't be transposed, and I guess they don't harmonize. There was a big hullabaloo when the musical community wanted to make things easier on musicians and composers by eliminating the microtones. Almost all music that was written and orchestrated was done for the church, and they still had a medieval way of thinking. To a lot of them, eliminating the "comma" system that Pythagoras said reflected the way the universe was contructed was some major mojo ....

yea didnt the church reject some scales because they sounded "lustfull"? I can understand that a guitar string bend includes semitones but if someone was going to play a scale consisting of 24 notes it would sound like they are just repeating some notes twice.

Back