Digital Music Distribution

I use cdbaby. Why? I started out with them when they were the only game in town, so my comfort level with them is high. But after Derek left, they have sucked. Still with them, but probably only until I find something better. I don't like Tunecore, because you pay them every year. I like working with vendors who take a cut. I don't like how it takes a million years for cdbaby to get your CD onto iTunes. I don't like how cdbaby's customer service email folks blatantly ignore any emails they don't feel like answering. Like I said, they were great, now they kinda suck.

Well there are many many digital music distributors today, so you don't have to put up with bad service. I know we get lazy sometimes since our 'repertoire' is already with one vendor. I would look for a service that has a flat fee for unlimited uploads, decent cut (it's normal for their efforts), and good customer service.

Though understand that the time it takes to see your songs on itunes more often has to do with itunes than with the distributor...

I'm just now starting this process of marketing and found your article well written and articulate. nicely done.

I still don't get what metadata is but saved the link and will check it out later.

I used to think cdbaby was supposed to be the way to go but, like richardmac was sayin, I've also heard some unhappy customers.

So I'll be checkin into The Bizmo and a couple others you mentioned to get a better grasp of this whole thing.

Much thanks, much peace. ;)
Kel

Wonderful article thank you very much!!!!! I love finding out about new sites to get my music sold! Appreciated! Keep up the good work!

I use cdbaby. Why? I started out with them when they were the only game in town, so my comfort level with them is high. But after Derek left, they have sucked. Still with them, but probably only until I find something better. I don't like how it takes a million years for cdbaby to get your CD onto iTunes. I don't like how cdbaby's customer service email folks blatantly ignore any emails they don't feel like answering. Like I said, they were great, now they kinda suck.

gotta agree 100%. i have been real disappointed with CDbaby since discmakers took them over.

Back