demos...

Salabim

ok...

Ok, im 17, and im in a band...

we're not too bad...we have been getting a bit of attention here and there, playing a couple of gigs around, we've backed one or two half decend Aussie bands...

but the one thing is, when ever we play, or meet up with someone who has seen us, or played with us, they are like 'hey man, u guys got a demo going yet'?

being 17, we are struggling to get the $$$ together (to even buy our own gear)...and so we are pushing to get the funds to make it into a studio...the answer to this was to record it ourselves...which we did on my computer, using N-Track (which didnt turn out considering they were mixed by a drummer! lol)

Whats the best way of producing our demo (its 4 songs at the moment) and getting them around? whilst keeping the costs to a minimum? As something different, instead of CD's, we wanted to get our demo out on tapes (a bitta oldskool stuff going on there)

Any Pointers?
Cheers

Tim
www.bens_own.live.com.au
(you can also download a couple of songs from here too)

Well why dont you get something like a Roland VS series workstation. They are quite cheap now, easy to use and you could bang out a half decent demo on that and write it to CD. Or just get a decent tape mixdown deck and hook it up to that and record cassetes as your mixdown medium. Not as good quality but ok for just passing out demos to people you meet.

didnt really understand the above post now that I look at it again. Do you have your stuff recorded already? What exactly do you mean by produced?

The thing about the tape deck still applies though.

Tim, consider hiring the necessary gear to record yourselves.

Music Lab in Elwood hire gear out (I think). Failing that ask around other musos and see what good deals are going.

Peace........ChrisO :cool:

how fast is your computer? I bought myself and analog multitracker because it would be a lot cheaper than getting a computer and soundcard good enough to record on...but if you have 64mb of ram and a decently fast processor you could pirate Cakewalk pro audio 9 and do your demo on that...not that...I...endorse...pirating...

my friend does all his work on Cakewalk Pro Audio 9...www.suckerface.net and he's been puting a demo together...I've heard from him that rather than just send a tape to the record company...they look for certain things...CD-Rs are the norm now...so I'd say find a friend with a CD burner and go ahead and do it on CD...then get a white paper sleeve for it...stick a sheet in there with track listing, a little note saying what song you think is the best one (most of the time they wont listen to all of them), and a picture of the band (gag, I know, how stupid and shallow is that shit?...but you do what you have to do.) Anyway I hope this helped, and remember, if you do get a deal, don't let them screw you on your forgien rights...

Back