Cover letters

Anurag Dixit

Hi to All! well I may be good at music making but i dont find myself smart enough at communication skills, or you can say "presenting myself".I have finally come up with a decent demo but my concern is for a good cover letter. I have to send cover letters to labels, press (newspapers, mags. tv, radio etc) so can soeone guide me on this topic. how to write such leters, or any demo letter, any link, w hatever you feel helps---I would be very very thankful.
Regards & thanks in advance!

Hi Deathknell, you're right. I try to do the same but I think somewhere I am lacking--and thats the language and "style". What I write is always simple, dont know how to make it stylish to attract the person. My problem is that when I perform somewhere people like it very much, and my songs are appreciated very much on internet also (people contact me via e-mail, telling me that how much they liked the song and my voice) I am also working as a professional for TV in my country but when it comes to a record label, or some big event organizer etc, i can not attract them when I meet them. so the time never comes that they listen to my stuff and like it. I meet them and they dont show any interest. So I think there's something wrong with my communication skill. I've always been an introvert person, not good at communication.
I would appreciate if someone can post a sample of what he'd write if he has to send a cover letter or introduction. (However Bob baker seems impressive and i'll try to order his book asap)
Thanks

I used to write a lot of the press material for my band; basically, I just read a lot of bios by professional bio writers and emulated the style. Once you get the formula down, there's not much to it.
But the first step is really a question of marketing. How do want to market your music? What's your target demographic? The bio and how it's written is just a piece of that greater puzzle.
A lot of amatuer bios I see are just full of information nobody cares about. If I'm looking to do business with your act, I could care less that your drummer is 25, started playing drums when he was 7, and likes peanut butter.

Check out this bio for my friend's band. It's at www.lostanthemrock.net (click on the "band" link at the bottom). I didn't write it, but it's pretty much in the vein of what I was writing for our old band.

THanks for your suggestion and link. Yeah I agree with you that a long intro dosent really matter but yes presenting yourself in a good way can make people becoming interested in your music. That link will sure help, thanks again. more ideas are welcome :)

Back