Copyrighting - Always Protect Your Music ALWAYS

Using a mobile/cellular phone whilst driving is illegal downunder.
Driving no hands is illegal downunder.
Focussing on recording yourself and going "..at little too fast" is illegal downunder.
Going into the wrong lane because you were focussing on recording a monologue is stupid everywhere.
Talking over the same sentence of information again & again & again should be illegal everywhere.
QUESTION:
Would you take advice from a person driving while recording, no hands, too fast & in the wrong lane?

Love your points... something to work on for sure, thank you

Last edited:
I won't comment on the driving aspects of the video. :)

Some simple facts about copyright:

Great break down. Thought I edited trademark out of that (guess I didn't). I learned about copyright the hard way. I thought my computers "time stamp" and the mailing date stamp would save me. Very very painful lesson there (back in 02)

My point in this vid was to register your copyright before sending it anywhere. That's actually how I was screwed over. Didn't understand the importance and missed out on lots of money because a instrumental of mine was used in a ton of cut scenes and commercials... Sucked

Yeah that's about how long it took for mine, too.

I'd rather have the protection than not, but my music business prof always said that it's a waste of money unless someone steals your music. That's circular reasoning, but still, he has a point. The odds of someone trying to infringe on my intellectual property are minimal, because I have precisely three fans. Now as soon as you're famous, the game changes overnight, of course...

I wont discredit your professor, but the chances of someone ripping you off increases when you submit your other 'professionals'

I'm not sure what line of work you're in (music wise), but I do music licensing/sound design for a living. I'm always submitting music to libraries, music supervisors....etc

You never know who's hands your music is in. I've interned at a huge label, later became a ghost producer there. We were fed demos left and right. Our job was to literally knock off demos and the main producers took all the credit... Was a 'work for hire' situation.

Sometimes people don't completely remake whats being sent in, they keep a few of the original lines and every now and again it's caught later on down the road.

There's always people searching online for songs to rip off and the less popular/less following the better (for the snake)

Again, not discrediting your professor, but if you're sending in demos/submitting music... Protect yourself.. it's dumb not to.

Just to update regarding the US Copyright office - the process is now taking about 6 weeks to get your certificate when you file electronically. I filed July 10, got my cert last week.

Last edited:
I got my copyright certificate from LoC within 2 months of online registration. For the $30 (I think that's what it is) to register a whole album at one time, it doesn't make sense not to do it. Can't comment on other country's processes, thoguh.
right ..... but if you do it electronically it's registered right then even though it may take a while for them to get you the paperwork. Even without the paperwork you can go to the LoC site and the fact that you were granted a copyright registration is there.

The chances that anyone here is ever gonna lost a cent because someone stole their music ranges from slim to none. If no one has noticed the music industry has collapsed ..... there's more money to be made stealing cigarettes than there is from stealing music.

For what it's worth, protection pursuant to the registration dates from the date of application, not the date of issuance.

Back