Copyright Office copyright confirmation

gtrplaya

Hi,
I sent a song on CD with lyrics to the Copyright Office, with the associated paperwork and fee months ago. How can I tell if the song is officially copywritten, I haven't heard anything. Feel free to hit me up via e-mail.
Thanks.

D

In the future, send it registered mail with return receipt. That way you know it got there, and you have the return receipt. Personally, I'm glad I live close enough to just drive there.....lately though the place has been swarmin with cops! When is this code orange gonna end? There ain't no parking spaces on a normal day, much less when they have half the city shut down and barricaded. It's a nightmare.

bd

bdbdbuck said:
In the future, send it registered mail with return receipt. That way you know it got there, and you have the return receipt. bd

Thnaks for the previous replies. Yeah, I should have done that. I live close by the LOC also, I would sooner walk from the nearest Metro stop than try and park nearby. How "protective" is mailing yourself a copy in the interim?

If you want to say the name of the work, and your name or artist name, I will look it up for you.

You can email it to me if you want.

Brad

It takes upwards of six months to get returned paperwork. Fast, they ain't. Also, for anyone, be sure to ship priority method (e.g. 2nd Day letter, Next Day letter). They hold back regular mail due to scanning.

Brad said:
If you want to say the name of the work, and your name or artist name, I will look it up for you.

You can email it to me if you want.

Brad

Brad,
Do you work at LOC?

bd

Nope, in fact, I can't do anything special - meaning, I don't have special access to records, anybody can do it if they know how. It is just easier to do it than try to explain. I prolly won't be able to find anything yet on gtrplaya's song if he hasn't even received his certificate. I think that one time, when looking up my own stuff, did my record appear in their database before I received the paper. It's rare, their data entry clerks have their hands full.

Music copyright research is my day gig.

I was kinda wondering if that is what you were getting at, seeing as you are in VA.

Naw, man - I'm a left coaster.

...you guys who live close should start a currier service-then simply spread a few bribes around the place for faster turn-around times and you could become rich!...

HMMMMMM, not a bad idea............don't really need to bribe anyone, they give you a receipt before you leave. Once I have that piece of paper in my hand, they can take all the time they want to send the certificate.

bd

The whole mail yourself a copy is a terrible myth that was started. It has no legal authority in court and will not help you at all. The USCO can take anywhere from 6-12 mo before you get a reply. Another 'free' way to protect yourself(it's not the same as copyrighting) is to form a pub co and join ascap or bmi, if you have produced the music to sell or played it in a ascap or bmi venue. The PRO's are always a good way to go anyways.

I send my stuff fedex....I just keep the confirmations of delivery.
BTW, no mail goes directly to the copyright office...it is rerouted to somewhere in MD where it can be screened....so God knows how long that takes. I live in the DC area...believe me...your lookin to wait at least 5 months for your certificate, regardless of what your location may be.

Courier SVC

Believe me...you aren't going to get a butt in line for a couriered delivery....take a number. Go certified mail or Fedex...and save your pennies for more gear.

Re: Courier SVC

bdbdbucksKID said:
Believe me...you aren't going to get a butt in line for a couriered delivery....take a number. Go certified mail or Fedex...and save your pennies for more gear.

Courier service ain't such a bad idea! You mail yours, I'll drive mine. We'll see who ends up with the copyright office receipt first. That's something that can be faxed to the folks who use the service. Once you're at the copyright office, you're in and out in no time! Went today...12 minutes off the parking meter....damnit, I paid for an hour! I have my copyright office receipt right here. I also have a ticket for going left of center down at the bottom of the mountain!!!!!!

bdbdad

g on the wc said:
The whole mail yourself a copy is a terrible myth that was started. It has no legal authority in court and will not help you at all. The USCO can take anywhere from 6-12 mo before you get a reply. Another 'free' way to protect yourself(it's not the same as copyrighting) is to form a pub co and join ascap or bmi, if you have produced the music to sell or played it in a ascap or bmi venue. The PRO's are always a good way to go anyways.

Actually, forming a pub co and joining a PRO is in no way protecting yourself. Not at all. The reason is because they (ASCAP & BMI, etc.) do not retain copies of works. They take the word of the reporting parties. This could be anybody from a radio station to a little mom & pop cafe to the artist themselves. So, while they do have ownership information, who published, who wrote, etc. they do not hold any dated records of when the song was created (unless that info comes from an LOC certificate of copyright) or even a copy of the work. Therefore, they can't be used as proof of ownership or date of creation - very important in the world of copyright.

Brad

You know, topics similar to this one have come up enough times that it makes we wonder why people are so worried. In considering why someone might be so worried about protecting and "date stamping" his composition, two possibilities come to mind:

- He's scared a pirate is going to hear it (somewhere), record it, claim authorship and pocket millions (tens of thousands, anyway) in songwriter's royalties.

- He's scared that after he's legitimately earned tens of thousands (thousands, anyway) in artist's and songwriter's royalties, some pirate is going to claim authorship and demand payment.

How likely are either of these? I mean, really?

Maybe there are other possibilities I haven't considered. I suppose a third is that "our guy" is the pirate, and it's the second possibility in reverse.

Back