CD to various media?

mjr

ADD -- blessing and curse
Ok...I've began dedicating serious time to finishing my CD. Once that is done, I'll have a master CD to work with. I will obviously want to get the CD mass-produced. So, the questions I have are as follows:

1. CD to Vinyl. Is this expensive? Is it practical? How much in demand is vinyl right now? What's a good company to do this?

2. CD to Cassette. Same questions as #1.

3. Where can I get materials for said media printed?

I'm also trying to figure out a way to get the CD artwork and jewel case artwork printed as inexpensively, but with as good quality as possible, without using my computer's printer.

The most cost-effective way for you to mass produce your CD is to have a company manufacture your CDs, print their labels, and package them for you. There are several companies that do this, a simple search on Google will find them.

Vinyl? Umm....maybe if you're hiphop or rap and you want it available for club DJs.

Forget cassette. It's a dead media in America.

cassette, no... vinyl, maybe...

... i agree with chris, as i wouldn't spend any time with worrying about duplicating cassettes, but i'm not so sure about vinyl. it depends on the circle you run in, as he said, but i would add indie rock, and punk rock to the list of justifiable genre's to print 7 inch vinyl and such. they do sell to this subculture of fans.
peace - jv

I wouldn't underestimate vinyl. As stated, if it's hip hop or dance it's a must.

Any time I go record shopping in any genre though I always take the vinyl if I can find it over the cd. I love big cover art and having the vinyl of a band I love (usually along with the cd)

I wouldn't say that cassettes are dead either. I wouldn't say that they're alive and kicking but there are definately people that would purchase a cassette over a cd at a show or whatever just because its cheaper. Also, many people don't even have cd players in their cars but do have a cassette player. If you print a few cassettes your bound to have some people thinkin'... "damn, this is some good driving tunes!" Just my thoughts.

I agree with earthbound.

Most manufacturers will offer much smaller runs of cassettes than they will of CD's (unless you're planning to use CDR). So, you can get 50 or 100 tapes without a massive financial committment. I don't think you'll sell lots of them, but it can't hurt to have them available.

Back