Bob Lefsetz podcast on the future of the music industry...streaming

TAE

All you have is now
If you are a musician or trying to sell music and don't know who Bob Lefsetz is ...you should

I subscribe to his free newsletter but just happened upon his podcast....He's an old fart with a young set of eyes but with all that knowledge of the past... He's not always right or the be all end all but definitely someone one should pay some attention to if you are in the music industry.

Check out this podacst that discuss's the future of music and discuss's why Spotify and streaming win today

Interesting conversation, Thanks for sharing.

We were arguing about this topic with some vinyl heads on facebook a week ago. People still think streaming is the future but they're wrong it's how people are listening to music these days. Streaming services are even taking it to the next level by integrating their streaming platforms with DJ software, this is going to take over in 2019. Soundcloud and Beatport have already announced that they're working on this. Some people are already using streaming services with DJ software.

Reactions: TAE
Thanks again for the link.

I found his pointing out the fact that "the quality of the music doesn't mean $#!+ any more" (paraphrased) to be very enlightening.

Many newer musicians are "just going for it", not getting sucked into the minutia(e) - it's more fun and, probably, more productive.

Last edited:
Many newer musicians are "just going for it", not getting sucked into the minutia - it's more fun and, probably, more productive.

Sucked into the minutia...I like it.

Definitely if you can avoid the shiny objects and just get tracks laid down I believe you have a better chance of capturing the genie in the bottle...There are a myriad of distractions there to divert you if you let them...

Also like your sig about failure......Here's another one:

The 3 most common reasons for failure are...

1. Failure to focus
2. Failure to focus
3. Failure to focus

Bob is a hip cat...and his newsletter is broadly subscribed to by movers and shakers in the music industry..If you dug the podcast I strongly recommend subscribing to the Lefsetz Letter it's free and though I don't agree with everything he goes off on I enjoy his rants and learn all kinds of interesting tid bits about stuff going on today and shit that went down 40 years ago...Very interesting dude with an opinion...

Back