Attn: those who have moved from home-studio to huge-studio (engineers or producers)

A question or two for those of you who have/had larger ambitions than home-recording, and either have, or plan to make the jump to freelance engineer/producer:

1. What was/is the process YOU went through to get from point A to point B?

2. When did you know it was time to move on from the "cheapest, best-sounding demos/eps around" to "come do your next full-length with me"? Or did you go a different route?

3. What mistakes did you make?

4. What advice would you have for someone who recently started recording other bands for money, and has much larger ambitions/goals in mind?

I'm asking because I'm 100% aware that there are tons of things I don't know about this business, and I'm 100% willing and ready to learn, ears/eyes-open, ego in check! :)

This will be as simple as I can make it...

1. What was/is the process YOU went through to get from point A to point B? Went and got a degree, talked to a few people in the industry, and here I am.

2. When did you know it was time to move on from the "cheapest, best-sounding demos/eps around" to "come do your next full-length with me"? Or did you go a different route? Once I realized that my equipment was holding me back, and I was being underpaid.

3. What mistakes did you make? At first, targeting the wrong bands, artists.

4. What advice would you have for someone who recently started recording other bands for money, and has much larger ambitions/goals in mind? Learn what you can about what you want to become. Meet people in the same area of expertise, they can help you.

Thanks man, that's exactly the kind of response I was looking for! I can totally relate to the equipment holding you back/being underpaid part. Everybody has nothing but glowing reviews from working with me, and most have been quite impressed at the quality they get, especially the ones who've paid 10x the amount they did with me for a really shitty product!

If I could shoot you some green I would but apparently I've got to spread it around a bit :P

Translation: I'd like to hear from more of you! :)

4. What advice would you have for someone who recently started recording other bands for money, and has much larger ambitions/goals in mind?

Get a business plan.

Music is my business, it has been for 25 years. For the first 15 I was employed by symphonies, so I basically had a fulltime job with a steady paycheck and bennies just like everybody else. For the last 10 I have been a freelancer, and it is a whole different ballgame. I have to be more organized, more assertive, etc.

Gigs dont come to you, you go get them. Sitting around and waiting for the phone to ring doesnt work, you have to hustle. You have to do what it takes to get YOUR name out there. You also have to be the best, no exceptions.

There is a lot of competition, especially since every kid with a copy of Fuity Loops thinks he is a "producer". Get portfolio, a website, business cards, demo CDs, etc. Be prepared to not make much money.:(

My situation is a bit different in that I am a player, not an engineer. However there are many similiarities work-wise. It is feast or famine: nothing happens in January because nobody has money. Therefore you have to prepare for that financially. This summer has been very off for me. Fortunately I was super-busy in the Spring to make up for it.

Back