who comes 1st tha producer or the rapper

cflow

Rapper: that cat aint shit without me.
Producer: Im tha one that make him shine.

Yo ,what do yall think

cflow said:
Rapper: that cat aint shit without me.
Producer: Im tha one that make him shine.

Yo ,what do yall think

As any good whore will tell you, the customer always comes first...

- Wil

The artist is responsible for the musical talent -- the producer is responsible for getting the overall sound, and they're both responsible for the creativity, with the producer having final say.

There is a presumption on the part of the artist that the producer shares their vision, making recording life easier... if the producer doesn't share a similar vision, then that can spell trouble.

blue bear ,keep it real
You know 90% of all rappers dont know nothing about the music part of it , that's the producers job. Most rappers dont even know how to count bars, until the producer shows him how. And as far as the over-all sound ,that's the engineer's part.

The producer is the more important element of the 2 when it comes to music......

Case in point.... A good producer can make an average artist well known or a super star

Examples:

- Jennifer Lopez

- Blu Cantrell

- Bubba Sparxx

- Cher

- Styles

- Destiny's child

and so on and so on...................... I'm sure there are dozens more............. the point is a great artist with a poor producer will always sound bad, but a good producer with a average artist will always sound ok

I would say nowadays the producers have a larger influence than the actual artist for hit records..... But this wasn't always the case.....

I mean check out Rakim's albums... Neva really had great production (except for the Marley produced joints) but still was look at as the best.....

But nowadays with the complex nature of hip hop beats and arrangements you can't get away with having a poor producer, Fans won't even give the artist a chance to shine....

Gen. Raticus

gec said:
The producer is the more important element of the 2 when it comes to music......

Case in point.... A good producer can make an average artist well known or a super star

Examples:

- Jennifer Lopez

- Blu Cantrell

- Bubba Sparxx

- Cher

- Styles

- Destiny's child

and so on and so on...................... I'm sure there are dozens more............. the point is a great artist with a poor producer will always sound bad, but a good producer with a average artist will always sound ok

Who's Buba Sparxxx? lol:D

No, I know who he is, but what did he get: 2 charts hits then zilch.

He's crap.

Which is a shame, 'coz that leaves the only good whit rapper in the public eye is Eminem (not dissin', 'coz he's good) but I think the "white rap" industry needs more shining talent.

Abyyss said:

Which is a shame, 'coz that leaves the only good whit rapper in the public eye is Eminem (not dissin', 'coz he's good) but I think the "white rap" industry needs more shining talent.

wwhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww....... Lemme get comfortable... this is going to be a long post.... actually I'm gonna go take a piss first. :D

aight

First, we need to define the term rap/hip hop...but guess what where ever you go every resource and person as a different view of it. But what it definately is "Black Culture" oriented. True that white people do rap...fuck the underground is loaded with them since eminem broke out...... but why don't you hear them in mainstream music would be the question......

Look at old school rap and you will find some very succesful white rappers and groups.... Beastie Boys, 3rd Bass, everlast, and yes the infamous Vanilla Ice. It is so difficult to explain how bad the Vanilla Ice saga hit white folks and rap music. Understand that major record labels did not want to touch white rappers after that happened. It has been 10 yrs since him, but the frame of mind stays the same.

In the eyes of major record labels this is what they see:

- A white guy cannot be to Pop oriented or he'll get crushed...

- he can't be hardcore according to industry standards because what does a white kid from the suburbs know about street life...

- You have to be extrodinarily gifted

- how the hell to we market a white kid

even though these points may have no merit or bearing on the white persons music....there are major prejudices that occur...spoken or not spoken this is what they see.... Can you blame them? Probably not, they wanna make money bottom line... and if they can't market you correctly it don't matter how good your music is. Another words in this case it is much easier to market an average black rapper than a superstar white rapper to the american public.

I could stop here, but I'm gonna continue

Hip hop today is at an all time high.... Consistently throughout the last 2 years they have had multiple # 1 albums on billboard. Hip hop also influences and entire culture and mainstream American pop culture. The funny part is 70% of this music is purchased by white kids? hmmmmmmmmm.... Why would this happen? For one black kids mostly buy mix tapes...they would rather get with the local cat who's doin the mix tapes and get all their favorite artists on one record, where as the white kids are buying 20 track albums with 1 or 2 good songs at 16.98 a piece.... However, the digital music revolution is also run predominately buy the white youth. The recording industry thats crying we are losing money are crying to the same population that pretty much finances them in the first place. This is another whole topic however, and I won't go there.

Back to hip hop running things in pop culture ..... the music isn't run by the major labels.... most of the music is being filtered through sub labels of the majors... This everyone already knows.... these labels also happen to be run by Black entrepeneurs who understand their own culture. Personally, if I was Dre, Diddy, Timbaland, or Jermaine Dupri you better bet your ass if I'm gonna sign a white kid he better have exceptional talent, because they;re company is also on the line. Today though eminem changed the game slightly, you have Kane with Diddy, who was actually signed as an artist but now is running things for puff's label.... You got a white kid that was recently sign by Master P.... but I don't know how they're gonna market this cat...cuz he definately didn't grab my attention and when I heard him rap I was truly dissapointed... then yes we have Bubba...who realistically isn't a bad rapper, but being white subjects him to alot more scrutiny than if he was black. Make Bubba Black he probably wouldn't have fell into the same scrutinyl....which actually brings me to my next point.... Bubba did sell 750,000 units which intself is pretty remarkable for a first release.... but the next thing that is going to hurt white rappers is:

for the last 10 yrs you were compared to Vanilla Ice
for the next 10 years you will be compared to Eminem

which sorry to say isn't the guy you want to be compared to. He makes pretty much everyone look bad lyrically... so how do you go about it. The saddest part of all a white rapper will always sell more than a black rapper at the same level... No better perfect example then whats goin on right now...... Eminem & Nelly are the 2 biggest rappers in the industry...yet Nelly can't catch him in record sales.... here's anutha thing to ponder.... Eminem says in his new record that if he was black he woulda sold half.....heheheh sorry em but if you were black you would of sold a half million at best.... He would have been just anutha Black Rapper with a troubled child hood...no different than every other one, except eminem music has no commercial appeal in the sense of the word "commercial", but because he is white...and the white kids could relate to a rebelious white guy he sold 10 million....think about this...... how many records would Nelly sell if he were white?

alright now lets talk about hip hop and the future. In my opinion its at its peak and during the course of the next decade will diminish a bit...why? well for one this topic.......... the music isn't diversified enough.... You can see it starting to happen now where people are getting sick of it... Just look at some posts on this board and talk to hip hop fans.... They all complain about the garbage on the radio.... when you look at that subject really the urban radio market is dominated by 2 labels.... (1) Def Jam (2) Interscope...... think I'm wrong? Listen to or look up your local radio's playlist...you will find every artist falls underneath one of those 2 labels and there subsidiary companies..... Basically when you say you don't like radio in essence you are talking just about these two labels whether you think your are or not..... This can all be compared to the disco revelution the hair bands and every other form that came and went.......next diminishing factor is what I call the

DJ Revolution.... and it is coming hard and fast.... Today DJ's are entering the mainstream and becoming famous more than ever... 4 years ago you never new DJ's from other cities by name if you were just a fan...Todays DJ's are not only DJ's but also producers... They will play an instrumental role in the next decade on what you listen to as they are playing both sides of the fence. They also are getting signed to labels as artists and getting sponsorships from major corporations..... That shit didn't use to happen.... What I believe you will see in this revolution is a big push on house music and rap fading back some..... Fuck...go into any nightclub across America and you will find them spinning house music....what else do you see jam packed in these clubs... "white Kids" who are also hip hop fans who are also the ones who buy 70% of the music..... The problem is they only hear the house music in the clubs and on mix CD'x they buy from the club DJ. The music has been fought off big time by the major players because believe me they understand what it will do american pop culture....... You start to put that shit on the radio as much as hip hop and watch the transition.... Right now Radio DJ's have no say or little say in what is played on their spot.... alot of that has to do with "payola" < see my post in the marketing forum under indie promotion radio play.....Anyway, the bottom line is these DJ's are going to come to the for front and are gonna bring this music with them..... you take a kid leavin the club...for 3 hours he was just bouncin wit some fuckin dope ass house music...he gets in his car puts on the radio...he don't have a choice right now, but if he did.... as hip hop fans what do we strive for in the music? Great fuckin beats.....what the fuck is house music...get me :D :D :D :D

tired now I'm gonna stop

Last edited:
Yo, GEC
If you ever publish, and market a book on the future-buzziness of hip-hop/rap. Pleeaassee email me first , I'll buy it in a (((heart beat))).:eek:

I hate to read long posts. Can somebody please just summarize Gec's post.:D I wanna know what it says but damn it's long.

I'm not jokin.

I hate reading long shit on the computer. Maybe I'm just lazi.

Why you'll never catch me trying to argue with CZAR.:D

PRODUCER

When it comes to music making I would say that I come 1st... I got the track layout, bars, etc. They just got the flows...., so do I btw... :P

I think it's wrong to judge people by their looks, it's the music that matters (that's why I can't stand Ja Rule and Nelly:rolleyes: - but like Dre, Snoop, Nate, Em - and most other decent ones out there, hell even D12 is quite good at times)

But then again, the industry is now full of fat-money-grabbing-mutha-fuckin'-cats.

Abyyss, come on now!
Are you an intern at Aftermath records.

,and Lazi ,stop being lazi ,and read Gec's reply ,and then critisize%.

i gotta disagree with Gec about the reason white kids make up 70% of the hip-hop market.

it isn't because of the mix-tapes, it's because there are more of you than us. blacks make up 12% of the population.

if you figure that blacks are 12%, hispanics are 12% and (i'm guessing here) other races makes up 6%, then whites account for 70% of the population. which means that hip-hop has done a great job of marketing to all races.

i wonder if 12% of rock music is purchased by blacks?

now back to the original topic:

the customer comes first, but i'll listen to an average rapper with great tracks before i'll listen to a great rapper with wack beats. case in point, every record that Snoop made after Dre left Death Row was aweful.

Back