Where is Hip Hop going?

REEK BROCK

MR. LAST WORD
In what direction should it go.Do you really think we have control in it at all anyway.I think we are starting to see the demise of the super producer.It may be a financial thing but It seems that kids today like the simpler stuff thats been shoved down their throats.Sampling I think is about to slack off.But thats a good thing because it makes producers as a whole more creative.What do you think?Check out DEEP on my page too.

although i hate to say it cuz it would be a huge job loss but i think we are going to see the super artist, it seems like more and more artists are wanting to produce themselves and make thier own beats than buy one

Hip-Hop Sux... It's easy to please simple minds.

I agree that people accept the simple stuff being shoved down their throats and no the artist and producers no longer have control of the music. Hip-Hop was sold to the "suits" many years ago they dictate everything now. Where is it going? Hell, I don't know... most likely no where good.

if i had my way, hiphop would get "real" again. drop a few samples over tight rustic loops and have at it.

NAS said it best "Hip hop is dead"..............

Too much corruption, watered down acts, and fans settling for anything just because it is different.
RAP on the other hand will keep going, due to the fact that it has went in so many other directions. (Most of which, IMO is garbage!)

"Roll to every station & wreck the DJ" that new nas is off the chain lmao. Anyways, I agree with you guys, hip hop is dead if not dying... In the physical form... in the mainstream industry.... but hip hop isn't dead on the streets... not yet.. I feel like it's in a coma, ready to wake again. And those of us who keepin' it real, are it's life support. I think we CAN make a difference. IDK about yall, but I'm gonna keep moving forward... We got something to change.

Hip-Hip was/is the Movement..Rap is the Game...Urban Music is the way of life...

music has changed over the years and will continue to change...back in the Hip-Hop/early Rap days you dropped an album every 2 years..but now-a-days in the New Rap ea..you better be droppin every 9 months..if you want to stay known...no the problem with this is you get some good, some bad..a lot of overlooked work..and dont get to enjoy the last album or a new artist..yes alot has change and will continue..Music is a business...and money is the topic..no one care if they puttin out weak crap...just us folk that in the business of gettin known or those that are known..

I said it in a hundred forums..dont complain about the music thats out..make a name for yourself and do better...get signed..and see how it really works..they people will be saying the same thing about you..LOL anyway..what were we talkin about..on yeah..alot of people are getting away from sample for 1 reason...money...when sample are use it will take more record sales to recoup their money to get then in the green...and the owner of the copyrights get a share of the publishing for the use of the sample..you do the math..

keep doin what you do..stop complaining about whats dead and make moves to be known and try and change what you think is broken..

im out..peace

Urban Music the way of Life...

People need to stap saying HIP HOP IS DEAD!!!

Hip Hop will never die, the problem is us damn it!!
When is the last time one of us went out and boughyt the last KRS-1 cd or any other cd that was a positive message behind it, wen is the last time one of us called a radio station to complain about whats getting played on it hmm, wen the hell was the last time we heard a real artist on the radio that actually says fuck wat the people want this is wat they/you need!! Lets be "real" for a minute ok, rap don't need anymore damn trap stars ok cause thats wats killing our genre and thats the truth. Rap about where you grew up sellin your shit is not only a stale topic but has been beatin into the ground and now our fucking kids grow up lovin this shit and know wat they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flatery!!

(i hope this isn't too real for some of you, let's keep on)

Then you got that same artist saying dumb shit like i move so much weight that im a drug kingpin, WTF!!! You want the truth here you go, the hip hop police do exist and are waiting for one of these so called dope boys to go back to slangin. These HHC's are with your favorite traper all damn day why you ask, simple cause a real "gangster" don't advertise stupid, these so called "rappers that do it for the street" are prisoners of their own mouth!! So wen them alphabet boys roll up on them you know why, i mean come on isn't it a lil odd that every month the source has a column that show nothing but how artist get arrested, damn homies ain't that a lil suspicious!!

(still not real enough, lets keep it movin)

And i swear to the almighty on high that my child will never ever listen to 1/4 of the crap thats out right now and respect it point blank period!! Guys were giving props to people that are below us man, for gods sake listen to wat they're sayin...ya hear that, exactly they're either sayin the same thing over and over again or nothing at all. We all do music on here and are not doin wat hip hop was made for on the emcee tip and thats being responcible for the well being of the people. Hip Hop no matter where you come from is "people" music and for black people (which i am) we are looking like fools out there on tv and the news. listen to nas's new cd, why the fuck are we buying jewelry all the time wen a 200 year old oil painting will always increase in value, why buy all these sneakers wen 1 pair will do?! Choices are good but damn so is individuality, LETS BE VERY CLEAR ON SOMETHING!! HIP HOP ISN'T JUST A MUSIC STYLE!!! IT'S A CULTURE!!! The culture will never die but the music side which has served as the peoples voice is getting lost so im going back to the begining.

THIS IS FOR ALL THOSE I AIN'T A RAPPER PEOPLE!!!, I AIN'T A RAPPER EITHER...IM AN EMCEE...IM BETTER

good post Soul B..

put please believe you will never be able to stop your children from listening to something unless your goin to send him to a Amish community.....

and you know growin up you alway found away to listen to something you were told not to listen to..LOL

rnb259 said:
Hip Hop will never die, the problem is us damn it!!
When is the last time one of us went out and boughyt the last KRS-1 cd or any other cd that was a positive message behind it, wen is the last time one of us called a radio station to complain about whats getting played on it hmm, wen the hell was the last time we heard a real artist on the radio that actually says fuck wat the people want this is wat they/you need!! Lets be "real" for a minute ok, rap don't need anymore damn trap stars ok cause thats wats killing our genre and thats the truth. Rap about where you grew up sellin your shit is not only a stale topic but has been beatin into the ground and now our fucking kids grow up lovin this shit and know wat they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flatery!!

(i hope this isn't too real for some of you, let's keep on)

Then you got that same artist saying dumb shit like i move so much weight that im a drug kingpin, WTF!!! You want the truth here you go, the hip hop police do exist and are waiting for one of these so called dope boys to go back to slangin. These HHC's are with your favorite traper all damn day why you ask, simple cause a real "gangster" don't advertise stupid, these so called "rappers that do it for the street" are prisoners of their own mouth!! So wen them alphabet boys roll up on them you know why, i mean come on isn't it a lil odd that every month the source has a column that show nothing but how artist get arrested, damn homies ain't that a lil suspicious!!

(still not real enough, lets keep it movin)

And i swear to the almighty on high that my child will never ever listen to 1/4 of the crap thats out right now and respect it point blank period!! Guys were giving props to people that are below us man, for gods sake listen to wat they're sayin...ya hear that, exactly they're either sayin the same thing over and over again or nothing at all. We all do music on here and are not doin wat hip hop was made for on the emcee tip and thats being responcible for the well being of the people. Hip Hop no matter where you come from is "people" music and for black people (which i am) we are looking like fools out there on tv and the news. listen to nas's new cd, why the fuck are we buying jewelry all the time wen a 200 year old oil painting will always increase in value, why buy all these sneakers wen 1 pair will do?! Choices are good but damn so is individuality, LETS BE VERY CLEAR ON SOMETHING!! HIP HOP ISN'T JUST A MUSIC STYLE!!! IT'S A CULTURE!!! The culture will never die but the music side which has served as the peoples voice is getting lost so im going back to the begining.

THIS IS FOR ALL THOSE I AIN'T A RAPPER PEOPLE!!!, I AIN'T A RAPPER EITHER...IM AN EMCEE...IM BETTER

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed? :confused: ....lol

Yeah Rap music is doing more harm to the black community than good. It's sad to see these kids, they have way more shit than most of us had coming up (just look at technology alone)... But yet they don't wanna take advantage, instead they'd rather imitate these rappers. They REALLY IMITATE their favorite rappers, from the way they dress, talk, act, walk...etc Most of my generation would call that dick ridin', it's never cool for someone to completely act like another person.

Sorry ya'll but...

I been debatin this with alot of rappers nowadays and not to sound all high and mighty but im right damnit!!! Any music major that looks into the history of music (more so hip hop) can see first hand the stale material compared to the rich and full arrangements of yester year. And i know with the whole kids thing i can't stop that but ya know wat ima do the same thing my mom did to me, grow up on older music and wen they decide to venture out into the rest of the world they can cause the old saying is as true 2day as it was then and forever will be," the grass isn't always greener on the other side".

Besides it doesn't take a genius to see the lack of creativity out here so my fellow recording artist and producers you do the math...don't sacrifice your culture (caus saying hip hop is dead is exactly that) cause some cats ain't got hope for it

Look...

Im passionate about my music period!! I don't know why but my eyes are truly open to whats really goin on in our society wen it comes to our music. Ya'll gotta realize that our culture is under attack, scrutiny and debate because of corporate america and our willingness to be capitalist. Money is and forever will be the root of all evil and its that same money which has a generation of music soundin the same cause 1 persons money makin idea has spawned the blueprint to gettin paid. Its gotta be about more than that ya'll, we (the hip hop generation) are more than that and were wasting it for nothing more than some names in big lights that will ultimately leave this generation with nothing. If we don't fix it now we will be gone like disco, and you might not think so but they didn't either. realize this, kids love that dope boy shit to the point they go out and wanna see what all the talk is about, adults hate it and don't even wanna listen any more cause they're from the generation that fought for these rights and others and see that were wasting that fight and the government watches our every move like hawks...now who wants to light the match and watch what happens huh?!

Its that real to me man, we need leaders not followers man and im not following some pusher who got rich and stopped trying to be something. To me if you poison the people you get nothing but death and thats why people feel the way they do about hip hop point blank period.

you have some good point..but Rap (Hip-Hop) isn't goin anywhere..as long as it some kid out there that wants to tell his story..thers is money to be made by the big 3..and it will stay that way..everyone said hip-hop was goin to die ..due to the new sampling copyright laws..did it...no..producers still sample..nothing is goin to change if your not strong enough and have the fan base to change it...

I dont see Urban music dying anythime soon..and don't see any genre other then Country sellin more units the Urban Music..

Just make good music..and get know for great music if you in this for the love of music..yes the Dope Boys that are tryin to change their life is killing the game..but it gets them from off the street for awhiile until it back to the street..cause their rap career didnt pan out...

Music Industry is a different game then it was back in the days..you have to stay on your grind to make it now..if you dont..

welcome to the One Hit wonder group..

LOL..Im funny...LOL :D

Hip-Hop Sux... It's easy to please simple minds.

I agree that people accept the simple stuff being shoved down their throats and no the artist and producers no longer have control of the music. Hip-Hop was sold to the "suits" many years ago they dictate everything now. Where is it going? Hell, I don't know... most likely no where good.

I wouldn't say Hip-Hop is simple minded music as negative as you make it. Maybe the hip hop you hear is the commercial bullshit that the commercial superpowers put out. Dig a little deeper and there's some beautiful hip hop out there.

But In my opinion hip hop and rock are going to fuse together and become mainstream. Picture full band hip hop artists (though it's already been done). And I'll even go as far as to say Frank Zappa like figures will fuse and mangle full orchrestras together with drum sets and electronic synths.

FWIW...I`ve been a part time mobile DJ since 1991..and have defiantly seen alot of changes over the years...for the last few years, I`ve seen a bit of a shift in what most younger people wanted played..but..alot of the same ole same ole is still a big hit at most gigs..
it all goes round and round..

I personally find hip-hop's current direction to be really disheartening, if I'm honest. Everything that gets major airtime nowadays is all about girls, clubs, or posers trying to look bad@ss by showing off how hard they think they are. Honestly it's really disheartening to me. I think the young kids growing up listening to this stuff come away with a worldview that it's only important how much money, girls, and fame they can get. And that totally sucks.

There's still some good songs without corrupt messages, but as someone who grew up in the hood, I'd still have to say that rap for the past 20 years has been basically greedy, bragging trash for the most part.

Seeing how this thread is from 2006....I think the better discussion would be where has Hip-Hop been since this thread was posted. :)

I don't even refer to the shit that's out now as Hip hop. It's pop or hip pop, but def not hip hop. Someone tried to tell me Lil wayne and Drake are hip hop, uhm, no, hip pop maybe or just pop. I haven't heard a new hip hop artist in a long time. Most real hip hop artists were the ones established in the 90's. Really 50 is one of the last I can remember that came out this millennium and that was like '03. He has since turned into a pop artist. Hip hop wasn't about money, originally. Sure it got popular and people made lots of money from it. It slowly got homogenized into what it is today. Today's "Hip Hop" is what rock was in the 80's. The industry had a formula.80's rock=big hair, make up, crazy clothes, a love ballad, an aggressive song, a party song = hit record. Todays hip pop= tattoos up to your eyebrows, the latest designer clothes, "gangsta" image (video with mansions and lambos), a gangsta song, a love/r&b song ft. some rhianna, nikki manaj etc., and a club song bam! Hip hop is today's rock.They were called "rockstar" in the 80's, now they're called "rapstar"

Back