What Turntables Should I Buy

close

Can anyone please help me! I want to start DJing, but i haven't got a clue which decks to buy! What would be the best for hip-hop music and scratching?? JC

Get a used pair of Technics. When I finally sold mine (they were more than 20 years old) they still worked great and at one point were being used 6 hrs a day for about six months. Nuff said

here is waht i found on the net

Technics SL 1200/1210 MK2/MK3 Turntable (approx. $399) these being the best i quess

You can get Technics SL 1200 (silver) or SL 1210 (black) varieties. There are also MK3 versions that have a few minor changes. I totally recommend Technics turntables as they have a proven reliability record. They have plenty of torque and accurate pitch adjustment. They are standard DJ equipment in clubs and thus if you practice with these you will have no trouble playing out.

This is the turntable that I recommend you get:

Get the Technics SL1210 MK2 Turntable here

Vestax PDX-2000 Turntable (approx. $450)

This is a serious piece of DJ equipment. I have used one and the torque is great. It can also reverse the platter and has greater pitch adjustment than the Technics. the stop times can also be adjusted for extra fun. Owning these would certianly make mixing more entertaining.

If you have the money then I would totally recommend getting these. The only problem is that if you get used to this luxury turntable when you have to use something else you will miss all your features and torque.

Get the Vestax PDX-2000 Turntable here

Numark TTX1 Direct-Drive Turntable (approx $220)

I have not used this turntable. I have heard from people I trust that they are good responsive decks. They are definately expensive enough to be good.

They apparently have really high torque and thus would be precise. I have included them here to make this list complete. Numark have also recently released the TTX2s which have a few new features.

Get the Numark TTX1 Direct-Drive Turntable here

Gemini First Mix 3.0 (approx.$200)

This is a reduced cost turntable package that is perfect for the beginner. It has enough torque and all the new features at a reduced cost. These would be fine for learning and even playing out at parties.

Another positive thing is when you use something better your mixing can only improve. Gemini also makes other models in a wide range of price and features.

Gemini First Mix 3.0

Numark TT200 Direct Drive Turntable (approx. $200)

This is a beginners turntable. It is fine for learing in your bedroom. I have had a quick go on this and the Gemini XL-500II (below) and found them totally sweet.

There was a slight lack of torque which made me start tracks behind the beat and push too hard when making adjustments. However, after a while I got used to them and could do some good beat mixes.

It was a little hard to be precise with them. One good thing is that if you learn with these moving onto better gear will be a dream.

Get the Numark TT200 Direct Drive Turntable here

Gemini XL-500II Direct Drive Turntable (approx. $199)

This is another beginners turntable as reflected in the price. Again all this deck lacks is torque.

Get the Gemini XL-500II Direct Drive Turntable here

I do believe alot of djs are now goin to cds more then spinning vinyl..but it depends on how much control over your mix you want i quess..

yeah i friends told me 1210 mk3 are good, but i just want to be sure that im getting the right thing, because its a lot of money.

Probally vinyl, but people are telling me 2 get cd decks. What should i do?

There are also the hybirds like Rane/ Serato SSL and Final Scratch which still use vinyl but the records only have timecode on them which is syncd to mp3/wav/whatever on the laptop so you effectivly assign a MP3 to a turntable

DJ CD decks are expensive (decent ones are about a ~$1000 each) and not very durable

Back