What % of Time do you spend on Music Daily?

What % of Time can you devote to Music

• 100% Music is my MAIN Gig

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • 75% and part-time work when absolutely necessary

• 50%/50% Music/Real Job

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • 75%/25% My day job take up most of my time, but I still can gig

• I work full-time and do music when i can find the time

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • I work full time and corporate america is KILLING ME!

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Re: Got like 4-5 jobs plus music

breakinwax said:
no I'm not Jamaican... :P
I voted 50/50
I try to strike a balance with what I gotta do.
Just havent reached full potential yet - late bloomer

never let the obsticles (dat are meant ta be dere) disturb progress,
You have MAD skills, breakinwax.

You have more than enough skills to make ALL of your money through music!

Re: Re: What % of Time do you spend on Music Daily?

SPINSTERWUN said:

How much time do you, mshea, devote to your music?

This is VERY interesting...i'm happy reading the responses to this poll.

As to HOW much time i devote to music. It depends. I create WHOLE songs in my HEAD...that might happen while I'm at the office...so I'll call and hum the bass line, piano, lyrics whatever i worry i might forget to my voicemail and record later. My time spent actually layin' tracks down is minimal. Because I HEAR everything at ONCE...i lay it all down pretty much at once...I'd say no more than 2-3 hours per song. What I DON'T devote enough time to is cleaning the mess up. Stuff just sits...I'd say LATELY...post relocation and digging out from boxes and resurrecting my equipment i spend no more or less than an hour a day on music related functions...and that's been strummin' on the guitar, regaining my 'fingers' and sorting through what I want to 'clean up' next. I am FORCING myself to go back through and clean stuff up. I've got some great material that is GARBAGE until i knock it out.

Sometimes after a day at the office i am fearful of messin' with it cuz i'm still stuck in 'corporate mentality mode' and i've found until my brain is back in 'creative' mode my stuff sounds 'forced', 'rushed' and just loses its soul...that's my dilemna and why i feel corporate america is killin me.

I'm going to agree with Roel to a point as far as the $$$ are concerned. I've got a mortgage, a car payment, insurance and more equipment i'd like to purchase. At this point in my life...i can't sacrifice the $$$ in order to up my production. It's painful but we all make choices we have to live with and to each his own.

I agree with Spin...Breakinwax kicks a$$ and the FACT that you are ALWAYS in MUSIC MODE is inspiring...i hadn't met too many people who will stop in the middle of a conversation about something else to explain how good this blend, or that blend would sound. That's a very, very good thing.

At Spin, I envy your ability to make a living and handle your bizness doin' what you love.

At Gec...your posts are always insightful and informative...their is one hell of a brain behind that avator. :cool:

And at myself...I need to devote more time to the music...I'm sure if i force myself to knock this stuff out...it will pay off in the end.

my life IS my music.

it's sad to say, but i have a full time job now, and breathe music the rest of the time. when i'm at work the only thing i think about is what i'm gonna be doing in the studio. i HATE working another job, because it drains the energy out of you, energy that could be put forward on something REAL.

i agree with Gec, on the issue of time. time is the most important thing in life. without it your dead. i just spent the last 5 years of my life fucking things up (thugged out, dropped out of school, stayed high, got shot up, went to jail, lost my friends) i'm only 20 but i've always wanted to be a musician. i've always had the artistic talent, but always got distracted with BULLSHIT.

now i say FUCK a distraction. if you want it bad enough, take it. the only thing left for me to do is make this shit happen.

life's too short.

Re: Re: Re: What % of Time do you spend on Music Daily?

mshea said:
i hadn't met too many people who will stop in the middle of a conversation about something else to explain how good this blend, or that blend would sound. That's a very, very good thing.
That's pretty bad.... I've got that too at times. What is behind this is that you can hardly talk about anything else but music. When I start talking about music, even with fellow musician-friends, I loose them somewhere and they get bored. It's just too much for them... Now I'm VERY carefull when I talk to people about music. Only when they start talking about it, and not too long.

Sidenote: yesterday I was discussing jazz-dudes with an 18year old girl. Now THAT is weird. She told me, she was listening to L. Armstrong and her dad told her to put it off... :rolleyes:

John Scott said:
....now i say FUCK a distraction. if you want it bad enough, take it. the only thing left for me to do is make this shit happen....
That is a very good outlook. ;)

You should be extremely PROUD of yourself for encompassing that train of thought. :)

I'm 17, I don't go to school and I'm making music 6 to 8 hours a day. I'm returning to school this summer (In August) and I will then go to the CEGEP (In January) to study electronic.

That's it. I'm really productive. I like it. I'm sparring time while I have no responsibilities.

Peace,
Beathoven

Not as much as I'd like to...

I'm 19 and studying music in college.. studied several years of classical percussion, several months of jazz lessons on set, few years of playing in middle and high school jazz band.. been making beats for about 2.5 years.. stepped it up on the beats majorly after starting piano lessons year and a half ago, which I picked up a lot pretty quickly.. continued receiving piano lessons first year of college, and I practiced pretty faithfully, usually 6 days a week if not everyday while away at school... and came up with 50 or so ideas for beats, wrote them all down to remember them, havent worked on developing them at all tho... but everytime I went home- thanksgiving, christmas break, spring break, never did much practicing.. been home a month now for summer, and have only sat down a few times in front of the piano to play.. only once on the set.. been making a few beats, just got into sampling using Reason (real equipment too expensive right now, plus I dont have that much space to store)... also picked up a used electric bass which I havent got an amp for yet, but want to learn.. got an accoustic guitar sitting in my room which wasnt being used by a family member.. pair of 1200s I bought from ebay recently (one got damaged in shipping tho, insurance'll cover it, wasting my time tho, wish I woulda bought new), 200+ old jazz records picked up from a garage sale for a quarter a piece... but I feel I aint spending enough of my time on music... been too busy tho with summer class (ends next week tho :-), work, and them little daily things that seem to eat the rest of my time... altho I am very motivated at times, I can also get very lazy.. need to get over that.. time is very precious, need to start treating it that way.... need to get some piano lessons started.. that will give me some motivation to practice.. I aint got no Triton, no Motif, no MPC or ASR... but got a piano, drum set, electric bass, accoustic guitar, Roland board, 1200s, and a computer... need to start using this to my advantage...

Music Is my Full time Job

Now the only issue is which genre

Does teaching count? It's still dealing with music, rhythm right? Maybe it only counts if you love it....which I do:D

I work very funny hours and have an extremely flexible schedule. I never have to take side jobs that have nothing to do with music.

At any given time I can pick up and practice any number of instruments, including my voice... or pen.

Some genres pay more than others though.

By the way, this is "Stone B"
Experiencing problems with my profile.

Doing music even more since I got my monitors:cool:

Not to brag, but

Just had a 3 hour rehearsal and the reat of my day is going to be watching TV, napping and a little novice mixing, as well as practicing one instrument.

Aaaaah....... the life:D :D :D :D :D

Just some encouragement for those of you who want to take the plunge.

Of course, when the season starts I'll be exhausted, but I won't have a desk job to go to afterwards.

Re: Not as much as I'd like to...

BigLex said:
I aint got no Triton, no Motif, no MPC or ASR... but got a piano, drum set, electric bass, accoustic guitar, Roland board, 1200s, and a computer... need to start using this to my advantage...

HEY! That's ALL YOU NEED right there!!! Just because you're not hooked up to a computer...doesn't mean you can't create...as a matter of fact...you've got a WHOLE friggin' one person band right there...USE IT!!! Congrats on your schoolin and learning more instruments. I've found that the more instruments i learn to play, the better my writing gets...keep up the good work!

I work a standard 40 hour a week full time job.My job is physical and sometimes I really dont feel like working on music after I get home.Thats what it seems like sometimes..work.But as with many things,discapline may be needed.Maybe an hour a day to force myself to get something accomplished.It depends on how important it is to someone.Just like it's sometimes hard for a fat person to get on the treadmill..or a weak person to pick up some weights,it can be hard for a tired,bill paying musician to turn on his/her equipment and lay down some tracks at the end of a work day.But through discipline comes progress.

!!!

Reallusion said:
Just like it's sometimes hard for a fat person to get on the treadmill..or a weak person to pick up some weights,it can be hard for a tired,bill paying musician to turn on his/her equipment and lay down some tracks at the end of a work day.But through discipline comes progress.

Well Said!

hahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Just 2 more months and I'm fulltime on music! No more job. Byebye big bucks... Me happy. :)

I just hope the unemployement thingy works out and I don't have to go work weekends. But even that would be better than working weeks and music in weekends. Hmmmmmm! Me like.

Back