Turntable cartridge

peritus

The not fountain head
...for sampling...

Should I be for a special cartridge if I'm sampling (as opposed to scratching)?

Also... What kinda preamp setups do you guys use for your sampling rig?

Either way... Thanks

Dude, I got a turntable for Christmas and put in a Grado Prestige Black, street price $40. I'm totally jazzed by it. Everyone here can't believe how much better an LP can sound than a CD. If you run it into a good receiver or stereo system preamp, then run the tape out to your sound card, you should be good to go.

Oh, I'm running my JVC QL-A2 turntable into a late 70s NAD preamp and Carver cube power amp, JBL E80 speakers.

quick 2 sense...

use the same needles...

prem amp options all depends on the:

instrument(s) in sample - EQ
gain of sample - Compressor
quality of sample - Gate

Raticus

Raticus said:
quick 2 sense...

use the same needles...

prem amp options all depends on the:

instrument(s) in sample - EQ
gain of sample - Compressor
quality of sample - Gate

Raticus

I was kinda leaning that way myself... I mean.. If I'm sampling, I would normally go for a grimey feel over uber-fidelity.. Since I prefer NY style samples, myself... I think it would just depend on the song though...

As far as EQ, Compression, and gating... Wouldn't be reasonable to do that "in-box"? I was thinkin' I might use my early 60s tubed reel to reel's phono preamp for extra vintage grime.. lol

Thanks

I would take advantage of the quality of sampling you can do and get those uber-cleans, then mess with them in the computer. If you mess them up while sampling, you can't unmess them.

apl said:
I would take advantage of the quality of sampling you can do and get those uber-cleans, then mess with them in the computer. If you mess them up while sampling, you can't unmess them.

Good point... Thanks for the help!

im kinda glad you posted a thread about cartridges because i was just about to ask to see if anybody had a suggestion on the best for scratching. i have 1200's and i would love to get some cartridges that make my scratches sound a little more clean and professional, whats the best for that?

Only thing I would be concerned about with the Grados is the tracking... Scratching requires an uber-ability to stay in the groove... I've read today that the Shures lack fidelity, but are awesome in the groove... I'll be doing some more research soon. So, I'll keep ya guys posted...

personnally, i use a vintage pioneer belt drive turntable to a TCC preamp (50$) to adobe audition. To finish, i apply a noise reduction (in audition too) and its sounds good.

Right on... I didn't think to mention my TT...

I have a Numark TT-100 and I'm preamping through an solid state, but pretty nice, Pioneer receiver..It weighs a ton!.. Much better than the walmart-brand preamp that I started with...

Pro_tt-100.jpg

P.S. I record to Audacity....

Aight people!!!!!

I bought this ... those marketers are GOOD!!!

It's a Shure M97xE.

"Accurate sound reproduction for sampling and archiving"

$88 bucks plus tax at PartsExpress (bought it locally)....

Wooohoo .. Now I can install it!

Ha! It came in a metal box with tools and when ya open the box it smells like brand new shoes... lol :)

peritus said:
Ha! It came in a metal box with tools and when ya open the box it smells like brand new shoes... lol :)

That's much better than old shoes.

Back