Simulating Scratching....

DJ Strutt

I cant remeber if I saw this idea on this forum, or another, but anyway..

I want to simulate scratching with out pressing up the vocal sample etc etc. The idea that I saw what to stick the sample in your sampler (ESI 2000 in my case) and the assign the keys on your keyboard so that when you press it down it plays forward and when you release the key it plays backwards. And the modulation wheel acts as a volume control (like the crossfader).

How would I go about setting that up? Is it done in Cubase (V5 I have) or in the sampler?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

I can scratch perfectly well thanks!

Just that this scracthing is for a tune I am making. And I havnt got the money to press up the vocal sample onto vinyl, I could do it onto dubplate (around £35) but they were out after about 30 plays, so not much use.

Can anyone help?

there's some directx stuff from AnalogX that does some sort of scratching using WAV files, but i've never used it. i just know it exists, because i use their delay calculator.

I can scratch perfectly well thanks!

Sorry, about that, Strutt. I didn't intend to offend you. ;)

I apologize. :)

Ok, you could do this the old fashioned "DJ Premiere" way.

You can use any sound/vocal/sample you want for the scratching "sound". Then, on another track, you could place the "preferred" sound/vocal/phrase directly after the scratch noise.
Does that make sense to you all???? ;)

Here is an example.

Say for instance, I wanted to cut the phrase "You wanna battle?"

Lets say, I didn't have it on wax or CD, but I had it on tape or on my HD.

I would find another accapella vocal, ANY accapella vocal just to make the scratching sounds.
Now, when it comes to the point for the "cut" to say "You wanna battle?", I would not play anything.

Once all the scratches (read... scratch sounds) are in place, I would go back to the empty spaces, and ADD the You wanna battle?".

Does that make sense? :)

I hope that it does.

peace...

spin

p.s. Once again, DJ Strutt I didn't mean to offend you OR question your "cutting" skills. :D

No worries Spin, no offence taken. :)

I think I understand what you are saying....basically record my self scratching any vocals I have on Vinyl and then when I drop the record to play the vocal norammly either dont do anything or just record it in and then edit it out later and record in the same I wanted in originally?

Thanks for the tip geezer, i'll give it a go!

P.S Just incase anyone know how to do it the way I mentioned first, please let me know (that way I can edit it all with Midi :D ;) )

Thanks.

I've used the analogx one (which is very good) and the one that comes with Traktor. Traktor is much more customizable, but I still have a really hard time with it (using the mouse just plain sucks). Numark makes an interface for cueing, but you can't scratch with it. Anybody have any luck with a trackball or something else?

Back