question regarding the size of a beater on a bass drum pedal

Schism

I just purchased an electronic kit, and am interested in buying a double pedal for it. Im not sure if they require a certain type that has a smaller beater, or seomething with a softer beater, but i dont want to spend 100+ on a new pedal if its either too big for the small bass pad or if its not the right thing. Are all of them the same size for the beater and made out of the same material? in other words, If I just buy a double bass pedal, am I sure its going to work (if the kit is confirmed to work with double bass pedals)

There's a whole lot of different kinds of beaters, man. Plastic, felt, wood, I've even heard rumors of some metal drummers using metal beaters... When you go to buy one, though, it should be pretty obvious how big it is and what it's made of, so just get one made of something soft that's not bigger than the trigger-pad. I mean.. since it's all digital anyway and only responds to pressure, regardless of surface-material properties, you won't actually get a different sound from a solid wood beater striking the pad than you would from tapping it with your finger or whacking it with a pillow - so you should probably use something soft for longevity purposes, no?

Maybe there's more to it than that, but I don't see how there could be :confused:

yeah but one main reason i got an e-kit is so i can play late at night, not bother anyone in my apartment, things like that. i would want a soft beater so my bass isnt bothering anyone

Ok. I recommend getting a softer beater for longevity of the trigger-pad, because other factors don't really exist with said trigger-pads like they do with real drums. You say "...yea but...I would want a softer beater". But what? I don't see what you're debating there.

I also don't get what you mean about the bass. Obviously the triggered sound can be turned up and down at will with the volume or gain on the speakers playing the samples. Hell, you could even wear headphones late at night. The only audible sound will be the beater striking the pad...right? Are you really worried the neighbors will care if it's a wood beater or a felt one? I mean...you could beat the thing with a baseball bat and they still won't hear it.

I'm totally not following any of your logic, dude, nor do I see what you're trying to get out of this thread... What am I missing here? :confused:

I didn't kno if e-kits have different bass pedals than regular kits. Doing more research I am learning that they are the same, but the reason I would want a softer one is because of the sound of the beater striking the pad. I work til 10 pm and can be playing drums through 4am, I think the person above me might have some trouble falling asleep if they just here it constantly striking, My roommate which is a few walls between me can hear it, and he has s longer distance between me and him as opposed to the person trying to sleep directly above me. so I was wondering if there were a difference in the material that the beater Is made of

Ok, cool - well.. I suppose it may be too late to be useful - but maybe not - I seem to remember seeing a trigger that you just set on the floor and tap with your foot - You actually trigger it directly with your foot - no beater required. Might wanna google on that - seems like it would be just what you need, really. :cool:

Back