opening acts

gullyjewelz

anyone got any info. on the kind of money opening acts make when they are "on tour" with a big name?

for instance, a friend of mine is related to an emcee that is defiitely in the industry!!! (wont say a name) - this em cee is not really monster-big - but definitely has a following adn is routinely on tour and releasing full fledged albums each year.

im tryin to tell my friend that this emcee may be able to put him on as an opening act on tours - if he can show prove that he is up to the challenge and the requirements involved.

im under the impression that such an opportunity will -at least - get you some money - serious money - in comparsion to what you might make as an indie. artist in a small city with no major performing circuit for indie. artists - although in comparison to the "industry" this money would be smll change -

he is not buying my argument and doesnt want to go there, for fear of 1) me bering dead wrong or 2) having his relative/the emcee feeling like he is simply trying to take advantage of their "blood' connection . . .

any ideas as to where i can find some "verifiable" information on touring money for opening acts . . . ?

I don't see opening acts "touring" with big name artist unless they are up and coming with a portfolio of accomplishments. It would be a waste of time for the "well known" artist to pay them unless they are their protege or some other type of hookup for their personal gain (Like a family member with talent, and you're just giving them a shot!)
Most opening acts are locals, who the promoter probably snatched up for free, because they're just looking for exposure. I don't think there is a "rule of thumb" with opening acts, unless you have a relationship (other than kin) with the "main event" and an understanding as well!
If it is not a SummerJam, where everyone is a star, opening acts don't really look for $$$'s, it's mainly exposure. If you're looking to get paid, you must be opening acts for peanuts or free and build groupies that way, then you'll have opening acts one day when you're headlining your joint!
THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, NOTHING ETCHED IN STONE!!!!

opening for the main attraction has its advantages. if people like you, they'll at least visit your merch table, maybe grab a cd, or t-shirt, and it will get your name out. if you are actually opening regularly for the same artist, i cant say for sure, but i'd say your name will get out there.

gully - you're right. you wont get famous unless you're dope enough to headline already... and you wont get rich... but you will make a few sales and make ends meet if the crowds are big enough and the shows are often enough (but not in the same spots, redundant shows to the same crowd isnt good)

bless.

Well I am going off two things.

1) the headlining act is indeed BLOOD/KIN to my friend. Were it me, I would have a problem cuz i am not really that close or cool with any of my friend - it just didnt turn out that way. but this dude is really rather close with his fam. closer to them than me - really - so im like - if u can ask me for collabos and recording sessions - u should be able to ask him for hook ups on his end - i doubt he really does his shows strictly with him involved - there has got to be some type of enterouge thing goin on !!! - get in where u can!

2) i heard a lot of talk on tupac's cds (this was just talk, admittedly) but he was always sayin how he made sure biggie was able to open up fo rhim @ times, so biggie could git some money to hold him over - until some thin really big broke for him -

so that gave me the idea that "openers" can be a method of breaking into the business

3) in the same vein as #2 - major labels do sign artists to "development" deals and (at least i have heard in other genres) these artists do "tour" with bigger names in the hopes that something takes off for them - if it does - the label has a "diamond in the ruff" if it doesnt the label has a tax write off - but either way - that "signed" hopeful furture artist was gittin paid as that opener - and what he got paid was peanuts in comparison - but it was way more than what he would get bein a local artist hittin up open mics n shit!!!

Back