Mbox 2 power issues

greenmilitia

whats up all? so I posted this in the newbie section as well, but recording mostly hip hop vocals, so I figured I'd post it here too. Also I've been kinda lurkin around here for a little while and know there is a lot of smart cats in here.

Alright, so heres my situation. I bought an Mbox 2 yesterday, got it home and it wouldn't power up, so this morning I returned it, got a new one, brought it home and had the same problem. When I plug the mbox into my usb the light doesn't come on. When I launch protools le it says it can't find the hardware. I've got a g5 Imac that is running osx 10.3.9 as far as I can tell from the digidesign website, my comp. should be compatible, but it still won't power up. I've tried switching usb cables, tried all my usb ports. In my system preferences my mac appears to recognize that the mbox is there, which is kinda weird, but if anybody could help me out that would be awsome. thanks in advance.

if anything go to the mbox website and search for an updated driver for your specific mac model..that might be it..good luck dude

Your USB ports do not have sufficient power through the bus to power your Mbox 2. You might want to invest in a USB powered hub or a USB card.

thank for the replys fam. I downloaded the drivers I need, but it didn't do anything, unless I missed something somewher, thanks though. The manual says not to plug the mbox into a usb hub. Its weird, ProTools now recognizes the mbox. I get can get it to open fine, but there is no lights on, on the mbox and no sound coming out??? I don't know, I guess I'm gonna try tech support, thanks for the help though.

yeah, I've already replaced the thing once. I was just on hold with tech support, for about 10 min. then my cell phone cut out. :mad:

damn. I still think that the USB bus power isn't efficient enough to power it. Low power USB ports... At the studio we have a few G5's in 3 rooms. I have 2 portable drives. Both are USB powered, and 1 can be externally powered. 1 of them was a Thumb drive. That one worked in the back, but not the keyboard's. The other one is a small 40gb drive (5400rpm) that's bus powered. Maybe it's coincidence but none of those G5's ever powered it on enough to access.

yeah you might be right mindset. I just bought a usb hub, to see if that made any deference, but it didn't do anything either.

Back