Indie DJ newbie q: Which CD decks and mixer?

dougeast

Hi Guys,

I wanna start up as an indie music DJ and I need to buy some equipment.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on which CD decks and mixer I should buy?

I went round checking out gear and prices and found these:

Acoustic Control CDJ-200A (CD decks)
DJ-252 (mixer, 3 band EQ)
Case
Price: 599 euros (I live in Barcelona, Spain)

Looked perfect but I was kinda thinking...is this a good deal or is this a buncha cheapo gear that's gonna sound shit?

Another option was:

Omnotronic CDT-200 (decks)
DJ-55 (mixer, 3 band eq)
Case
Price: 524 euros

Anyone know anything about this gear, and /or these brands? I've never heard of Omnotronic before.

I have a budget of about 600-800 euros. I understand I need to spend more than that to really get top quality gear. But I'm a complete DJ newbie and I don't wanna get into mixing tracks. Just wanna get a cool indie set together, you know? Nothing extravagant. Play a few parties, have some laughs. So I thought I'd start with the basics and see how things go, you know?

I have the specs on a buncha other gear too but I guess i'd like to hear about these first because they come as a set with a case, which, if they're worth it, would be very useful.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this topic has come up before, I couldn't find anything about this gear using the search function.

Ciao. Rob

Well

On the budget u are discribing to me i would think Numarks would be your best bet. I don't really know how 800 euro's translate's to USA's but i'm guessing it's around the price it would cost for TWo Numark Axis 9's or 8's (about 250-300$us) an a decent vestax mixer (pcv 175 about 150-200$US) I hope this helps u...i'll find u some links in a min i am having probs wit the PC as we speak...Peace,

Kevlar

Thanks Kevlar.

800 euros is 980$ according to XE.com. I'm at the Numark site now. The Axis 9 looks quite a beast.

You reckon this is the best deal for this price range?

Thanks again.

Rob

Hi Kevlar,

I was just at the Spanish distributor site for Numark. They want a whopping 741 euros for ONE Axis 9. Even if I find a second hand one the price will prolly be about 360. Must be a big difference in gear price between here and the States.

Also I don't think I really need something that good to start off. I'm not going to be scratching or mixing or being flash in any way whatsoever. I just wanna be able to segue one tune into the next and match the BPMs and that's about it.

And I wanna buy equipment that isn't gonna flake out on me the second the guarantee's up.

Anyone any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Rob

damn man

yeah i have heard about huge price difference's from country to country but that is just plain crazy. Like the axis 9's i can get here all day long for 275$ Have u checked ebay at alll? because there are always some international shippers on there that will help you out an not break your bank. As for other options i'll be real honest man. I wouldn't touch any cd deck unless it was numark,pioneer,denon. All the rest to me are either really plain with no features at all or they will bust on you in a heartbeat. So if u can hold out for a good deal on them or if you are that desperate by some shitty one's but man i promise u, u will regret it....

Peace,

Kevlar

my 2 cents...

If you're not gonna mix EVER...
...then get yourself 2 of the cheapest cd players you can find, stick a mixer between them, & go for it. Either package you listed will probably be just fine for you, but I don't know about the quality of the dj mixer components (fader technology, etc). Still, at that price, with your needs, one can't really argue much against it, I guess. Go for it & have fun...

djfd

whatever advice

dolo offer's i suggest you take it ! He's def a vet in this field, me i'm always tryin to gain more knowledge but what i did know i shared with you. BTW did you check out the double decks at all? that might be right up your ally...not sure though..

Peace,

Kevlar

dougeast...

All the info you got here is valid, lots of ways to get where you wanna go. Pick your poison...:D

djfd

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the follow up responses.

I confess to being too nervous to buy things on Ebay and sadly (for this) my one super trustworthy American friend is now living in Argentina.

Going back to the argument of cheap versus reputation i really don't mind the next to no features thing. I figure I don't need all the fancy buttons, you know? The only thing that concerns me is, is it gonna break?

I think I'll go talk to the shops and see what kinda guarantee and after sales service they can offer. Spain is not big on After Sales Service so I won't hold my breath but...we'll see.

Thanks for all the help though.

Ciao. Rob

Wanna be safe & still have fun?

buy 2 cheap-assed, generic portable CD players, a desk lamp (so you can see what the hell is going on when it's dark), and a decent mixer. If the bug bites you, then check into your omnotronic or acoustic whatever brands you've already seen.

For under 200 bucks you can do what you wanna do pretty painlessly. Then, if the cd players die, just throw 'em at the drunkest motherfucker at the party you're djing at...

djfd

Re: Wanna be safe & still have fun?

Flo' Dolo said:

For under 200 bucks you can do what you wanna do pretty painlessly. Then, if the cd players die, just throw 'em at the drunkest motherfucker at the party you're djing at...

djfd

LMFAO

Hi guys,

Yeah, you know, i think maybe I'm gonna do that. It would sure save me some dosh. By the time I've got a set together I'll prolly have saved enough money to buy decent CD decks if I want 'em.

Ok thanks for all the help, I'm gonna buy something this weekend :-)

Ciao. Rob

Back