I got around $1500 but I don't know what to do! Help!

BeatsInMyHead

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board but I've been trying to read up as much as possible. I'm still learning and have tons of reading to do but I figured I ask just to get an idea of what direction I should head. I've been writing lyrics and freestylin' for about 3 years now and I've been gettin the urge to actually start doing something with it.

I want to be able to make hip-hop, r&b, and maybe even some drum & bass beats. I also want to record my vocals onto them. The only piece of equipment I have is a Yamaha DGX-500. I was thinking about getting an Akai Mpc2500. In a few months I'm upgrading my computer so I figured while I'm saving I could get aquainted with the MPC. I haven't really liked any of the software that I've tried (still have to try out Cubase though) so I would prefer the hardware route.

So a couple things I guess... (Also I do know it's what in my head not in my hardware.)

1) Do I need something more than a keyboard and MPC to make good quality beats sound wise? (I keep reading about preamps and mixers and racks but I'm still not sure exactly what I would use them.. and I think I need software to record my vocals in??)

2) What would be the next best thing to invest in?

baically you are starting from scratch,but we all gotta start somewhere.i personally feel that when deciding on purchases,Its best to get a hold of some reader reviews of the product you are interesested in.I think more important then that initially is to take a hard look at what you say you want to do.Although it is so much cheaper nowadays to make music whether its hardware or software..back in the day you had to be dedicated to shell out all that money.So you have about $1500,and your computer is not ready to utilize software.Im not going to tell you not to go the software route..Im just gonna give you some hardware options/advice...being you will be without computer for a time.If you are going to record on software,and make beats with it then you need a good computer.Anyways..you say you have a dgx500..It aint great..but it puts you in a good position.....Now there are many keyboard workstations that you can buy,but for hip hop and R&B the sequencers arent great(still usable though)....Before shelling out for an mpc2500...Id think about buying a used mpc3000,or a 2000xl,or even a mpc60 with the upgrade.The 2500 and 4000 have alot more features,etc...but more doesnt always mean better..here is a link that has user reviews of the mpc.
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/cfman.cfm?manid=6
just click the model then the next page at top Right hit reviews.
agin the 4000 has alot of features...but...just for example Dre has 4 mpc3000
lined up..the 3000 has a different sound when sampling drums...etc.
If you make your mind on an mpc i can get into it further for ya.
the mpc you will use as your sequencer..so out of the box unless you buy used...there arent any drum sounds..you can by a sample c.d(I never do) or just sample from vinyl,c.d whatever and make your own custom kit.
depending on what kind of beats you want to make..you will need a keyboard..unless you just are gonna do sampled beats.Now while you are learning your mpc your keyboard you have now is perfect....just hook the midi cords to each other.Now you can make your drum patterns and use the sounds on your keyboard for piano.bass,synths,etc..
With this set-up you will need a mixer...it doesnt have to be an expensive one...it could even be a cheap $40 dj mixer.cause the output of the mpc you can only hear the drums/samples..hook this up to your mixer and hook your outs on your keyboard to another channel on the mixer...now you hear everything together....so you will need speakers....I use a hardware c.d recorder that i run the outs of my mixer into to put my beats on a c.d.
Think about this though....If you make good decisions when buying,it will save you money in the end..example...spend good money on a pair of speaker monitors,,cause if you buy a cheap pair,your jsu gonna have to buy another pair later..also with this set-up the only upgrades you will ever need/want is keyboard sounds..and being you have a keyboard you can buy the rack version.

50cal is right- MPC is a great way to go.

You can get an MPC60 or MPC2000XL for about 800 bucks. An MPC3000 will run you about 1100 bucks.

You can get a used MPC2500 for about 1500 bucks so don't get that since it'll use up your whole budget.

Also, the RZA says that the Roland MV-8000 is the first machine since to have a sound comparable to the classic MPC60. My boy Siege uses the MV-8000 as well. I haven't tried it out myself but I keep hearing good things about it. That'll run about your full budget and it would be a better one-item usage of the full budget. The MV will do everything but your vocal recording needs. You can use multisampled instruments on it and play them on your keyboard. Also, it has a hard drive and CD burner so you don't need a PC to save the finished beats and make CDs.

I'd say get a used MPC and a used Triton/Motif or just a MV-8000; if you have money left over, get ya self some vinyl.

If you upgrade your computer, that opens up the software path and for that, there are many here that are more experienced so you can consult them.

Co-sign on the mic. For now, since you'll need a dynamic sometime anyway, cop an SM57. It'll be alright for vocals and you can use it without having to buy an interface.

After you get your weight up, cop an interface and some good software to go with it along with a decent condensor (like the Rode NT2-A).

jibran said:
Co-sign on the mic. For now, since you'll need a dynamic sometime anyway, cop an SM57. It'll be alright for vocals and you can use it without having to buy an interface.

After you get your weight up, cop an interface and some good software to go with it along with a decent condensor (like the Rode NT2-A).
In the 3 studios I've worked in over the last 6 years, I've never once used an SM57 to record anyone's vocals... Not once, ever.

The only time I would ever recommend someone using an SM57 is if they are specifically looking for the sound of an SM57. Otherwise, you just wasted $100 on a great stage mic.

You can get a cheap condensor for $60 MXL-990 I think... You can also cop a UB802 Mixer with Phantom power for $40. Right there, you already sound 10x better than an SM57 with the same $ spent.

Change, I'm sure you're right but I recommended it since it doesn't require a special interface but with that mixer you mentioned, he has that covered. Still, I've heard your work and it's DOPE so you're definitely much more experienced.

Btw, are your albums available on vinyl?

all i can say is buy a part at a time.Instead of buying MXL 990 and then upgrading later,why not just settle for AT4040 ,yes it will cost more but you will be happier in the long run.

Get a preamp,it will help your sound a lot,and i dont mean a cheap one.Anything under $600 is not considered a preamp.

U know if someone told me this when i first started i would have had fewer things but quality,rather than selling all my stuff that wasnt worth keeping for half price ...even lower for other stuff.

Do a lot of homework!

for pre amps...Im a big fan of universal audio..they are great on R&B,and rap vocals..Listen to Jon B, countless others...Ive used neve,avalon..but i still like these the best.Its an analog mic pre that has what you hear frequently as warm..I was sitting in why these engineers were demo diff mic pres..avalon,trident,focusrite....the same cheap seinheisser mic was used and the Universal audio made that cheap mic sound great...here is a link..i used the 6176 chanel strip...they go for about$2000...yeah its a bit much but if you gonna do this and are serious...its a great investment...however notice the solo110 and solo 610...these smaller units with same great build and sound are more affordable.
http://www.uaudio.com/products/analog/index.html

If $1500 is all you'll have to spend for a while you'd be better off...

maxing out your PC (ram, HD, and maybe processor) stuff with mail in rebates are great

get reason and cubase se, NTrack or similar $500 (you'll have synths, midi and audio recording)

get a buget audio interface, a pair of studio quality headphones, a midi keyboard a mic and a little behringer mixer for the pres and headphone jack. bout another $700

an mpc would eat most or all of your budget and still no sound library and no means to record vocals.

Hi_D_Ho_Man said:
maxing out your PC (ram, HD, and maybe processor) stuff with mail in rebates are great

get reason and cubase se, NTrack or similar $500 (you'll have synths, midi and audio recording)

get a buget audio interface, a pair of studio quality headphones, a midi keyboard a mic and a little behringer mixer for the pres and headphone jack. bout another $700

an mpc would eat most or all of your budget and still no sound library and no means to record vocals.
getting all this budget gear...may cost more in the end when he realizes that mixing with headphones aint the business...and a good studio quality headphone runs a few hundred dollars.....he has a midi keyboard so he does have sounds initially...If he is serious abot recording and decides to go software route....the worst thing you can do is buy a budget interface..this is one of the most important pieces when you record on your computer...a behringer mixer...for its pres...i aint trying to diss you lil homie but this may end up costing him way more in the long run...I aint responding just for arguements sake...Ive been listening to rap since around 1979...and home studios is partially responsible for the quality of songs that are out today...and I aint comparing styles from Kurtis blow to e-40..im strictly talking sound quality....now if he decides that(wich it wasnt stated) that 1500 was the total amount he was ever going to spend on building his set-up then you are right...but this is what he has to spend right now...and can build from there......whats the rush? he has some learning to do ..and with the equipment i described..he can move forward instead of going back and paying for better stuff later

Word... I do plan on spending more money eventually because I want to be able to have variety in what I'm able to create. Meaning if I think about something I want to have the hardware to be able to create it. I have tons of learning to do still so I've been readin through this site and that projectstudiohandbook.com. I appreciate everyone's info.. it's helpin' a lot so far.

50cal said:
getting all this budget gear...may cost more in the end when he realizes that mixing with headphones aint the business...and a good studio quality headphone runs a few hundred dollars.....he has a midi keyboard so he does have sounds initially...If he is serious abot recording and decides to go software route....the worst thing you can do is buy a budget interface..this is one of the most important pieces when you record on your computer...a behringer mixer...for its pres...i aint trying to diss you lil homie but this may end up costing him way more in the long run...I aint responding just for arguements sake...Ive been listening to rap since around 1979...and home studios is partially responsible for the quality of songs that are out today...and I aint comparing styles from Kurtis blow to e-40..im strictly talking sound quality....now if he decides that(wich it wasnt stated) that 1500 was the total amount he was ever going to spend on building his set-up then you are right...but this is what he has to spend right now...and can build from there......whats the rush? he has some learning to do ..and with the equipment i described..he can move forward instead of going back and paying for better stuff later

Well, as in the bold part of my original post, my suggestions were based only on if $1500 was all he had to spend for a long period of time (ie a student just got his income tax check and prolly won't have money to burn till next income tax season)

With that said my key point is that $1500 isn't much to start with. And my list was based on getting him fully function on his budget.

I guess I should've been more specific in what gear i was thinking of.

Software- Reason $400 Plenty of synths samples etc, Cubase SE $99 More than good enuff

Budget audio interface- something like a delta 44- $149 decent quality and reliable drivers I'm sure its no worse than say an MBox. I used delta 66 for years and got good results. an alternative could be something like an EMU 1212M. You dont more than 4 inputs until you have way more synth out puts than available inputs. But even then buy a mixer with 4 sub group outputs.

Studio Headphones- I was thinking AKG K240 or K240M $99. I didn't recommend cheap monitors because nothing good comes from them. Use headphone for this year get quality monitor if you're still interested in making beats by next income tax season.

Budget Mic- C1 $200, or an NT1-A $200. I read decent results about all of these all the time.

Budget Mixer- I basically only suggest a mixer cuz my setups monitoring is headphone for now and the budget is not much left $80 once again next year upgrade to preamp

Midi controller- I took a look at the model keyboard that he said he has its fine, No mod wheel but fine if you don't need that kind of expression.

My original thoughts boiled to this:

Reason and Cubase SE $500
Audio Interface $150
Headphones $100
Mic $200
Behri mixer $ 80
Midi Controller $150
Computers Upgrade $???
-----------------------------------
$1180 Not including PC upgrade

Other than the mixer everything here can serve him for years with plenty of room to grow it with having to trash everything when finances improve.

You happy with current keyboard? Your pc already has plenty cpu power and your ram is already maxed out? Fine get a better pre or get monitors. you wont be able to get both at decent quality(dont settle for those tiny monitors you're better off with headphones)

As I my setup based solely of a long term budget of $1500.

You aint new to this but neither am I cuzzin. I been at this for a minute and have a lil over 15 grand invested into my own lab.

An MPC really is not the holy necessity that cats constantly try to shove down your throat (I'm an MPC3000 owner). If you're not a sample based beatmaker (which I'm not), it's even less necessary.

dude said "I want to be able to make hip-hop, r&b, and maybe even some drum & bass beats. I also want to record my vocals onto them"

If he wants all of that on strictly hardware he's got alot more saving. At least double what he got now

well he says he is gonna spend more money as he goes, so I think everything you listed..is alright for the bedroom hobbyist,but I couldnt fade none of that gear,plus he says he is going the hardware route.

I consider myself a bedroom hobbyist. but its a serious bedroom (at least to me).

What would suggest for him if his were 5 or 10 grand? u sound like you got your own personal Pro Tools HD3 setup?

Naw not me... I go to a studio to record they have a D&R cinemix -116 channel board,i have them record on a two tascam mx2424...although they do have 2 inch tape.outboard gear such as avalon,neve,manley,Amek,lexicon,eventide,and use the BLUE bottle mic.I have nuendo at home wich I never use..Im a firm beleiver of quality,and I realize that My beats are pretty good but not great...so i buy beats from my boy..he has done beats for Tray-dee,thuglords,c-bo,yukmouth,IMX,Flipmode squad,Gangsta from the comrads..and does alot with C.M.W. and Mc eiht,and many more. he just had the song COMPTONS BACC On the radio out here by MC EIHT.I bought an album full of beats and have a project called..Bossman hogg presents the knok,and another album full of beats called..Spoony Loc-Hood Music.I then linked up with a producer named Slikk rikk and we have a project called EASTMEAN...its a comp with older and newer unreleased songs out of SKYLINE PARK,he recorded all at his home studio and we gonna work on one more..Im currently workin also with My Samoan homie named Young Sau we have various producers and recording at various locations.I submitted 2 songs to JazzyD for his unsigned hype C.D. he had a few thousand submissions and he picked both my songs..artist on the unsigned hype include
Young Hoggs,young maylay(he was the character on san andreas video game),eastwood,spider-loc,bad lucc,damani,problem,goldie-loc,Dr stank,gonzoe,scipio,dresta squeak-ru and more...plus the spoony loc and bossman hogg songs..they played a few of my songs out in dago this year..but nothing major..Im getting all these projects together..and my plan is to put one out every 4 months to have my name out in the streets for a year...spoony-loc is locked up right now...accomplice to attempted murder,the accused trigger man by boy CEE WEE Loc was found not guilty so spoony should be released upon his court date..Ive just been networkin with all sorts from Dago To L.A. to the bay.....all in all this is a cold game and the ones you try and help the most are the ones who think you fucking them..

Sounds like your circle keeps pretty busy. I have heard of quite a few cats you named from the unsigned hype album. 50Cal is your emcee name?

Hi_D_Ho_Man said:
Sounds like your circle keeps pretty busy. I have heard of quite a few cats you named from the unsigned hype album. 50Cal is your emcee name?
No sir.....Just like making beats..i can make descent beats but i aint no Dre,quik,battlecat,pete rock...so if Im gonna invest in a project.Im gonna buy beats so its sounds tight...why do it at all if it aint great....it would be a waste of money.I can rap....but again..not great.Im executive producer..i buy beats do projects with artists,get studio time,etc,etc...i feel I wish there were more people similar to me,cause the industry is flooded with O.K. music...and as illegal downloads are more frequent,and record stores closing..Its harder and harder to get shelf space in retail,a few years back you could do an indy project get distribution and without promotion you may still push some inits....now we have to be inovative,and think outside the box...i aint trying to mislead anyone on here..i aint make a penny in this game yet..Im in it for the long run..getting all my ducks in a row... there are alot of ways to make money besides rappin and makin beats in this field...I do beleive that in the next 5-10 years the rap indy game is gonna die down because all these people coming in thinking they gonna hustle there music...when they find out how difficult it is they will go back to what they were doing.Its crazy
cause I dont rap,or make beats..I dont have a product out but i am getting a lil buzz and rep just by leaking a few songs here and there a lil radio play..i live in L.A and i get shout outs on the radio in dago,i have alot of people wanting to collab,and work...Im far from the go to guy,But things are going close to as planned...if anything remember this..it aint about makin plugs,and networking...thats a temporary hustle, its about building relationship thats gonna last forever.....But my main artist i work with are spoony-loc,Bossman hogg,and young sau...Im over extended right now so I aint taking on any new artists..with these and the compilations Im nearly overextended..

Back